PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Part of me Wouldn't Be Surprised if They Cut Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Bedard: "Part of me wouldn't Be Surprised if Vereen Cut"

It actually is a pretty bold statement. I can't remember the last time a 2nd rounder has been cut this soon. Not saying BB has a rule against it or anything but it just doesn't seem to happen IIRC.

Stevan Ridley = Featured RB

Danny Woodhead = 3rd Down Scat Back

Brandon Bolden = Short Yardage Back-up North South Runner

Jeff Demps = Jack or all Trades and Speed

Shane Vereen = Odd man out not far fetched!

Last edited:

I think BB keeps 5 RB's and they are currently on the roster. :rocker:

Stevan Ridley = Featured RB

Danny Woodhead = 3rd Down Scat Back

Brandon Bolden = Short Yardage Back-up North South Runner

Jeff Demps = Jack or all Trades and Speed

Shane Vereen = Odd man out not far fetched!

We don't have a featured back. BB was asked the question if any of our existing backs could be a Corey Dillon. He said, if he had any backs as good as Dillon, they'd get their 300 carries.

"Corey Dillon was good enough to do it," he said. "If the Corey Dillon of 2004 was on this roster, I'm sure he'd get it 300 times, too. I have not seen Corey out there today."

Corey Dillon Isn't the Only Thing Bill Belichick Should Want Back From 2004 Patriots - New England Patriots - NESN.com

It's not that crazy of an idea. You have some redundancies in terms of the skill sets if you keep Woodhead, Edelman, and still have Hernandez who can play that role... Ridley is the inside back, the team wouldn't need Vareen if he's constantly hurt and you have two or more guys who can play his spot.

Vereen has shown plenty. I like him much better than Woodhead, he is quicker, faster and bigger. He also looks more natural catching the ball and running routes.

I would be rather surprised if Vereen is cut. I mean he is a preseason into his second year.

The only time the Pats have given up on a high draft pick after one season that I can remember is Kevin O'Connell and he was a third (opposed to a second with Vereen) and never showed anything in the regular season or the preseason (Vereen has shown flashes).

I would be rather surprised if Vereen is cut. I mean he is a preseason into his second year.

The only time the Pats have given up on a high draft pick after one season that I can remember is Kevin O'Connell and he was a third (opposed to a second with Vereen) and never showed anything in the regular season or the preseason (Vereen has shown flashes).

I can see how the Patriots would be able to do it (see my earlier post), but I don't think it will happen, either. I think Bolden's more likely to get the axe.

I like Woodhead, even have a Woodhead shirt I wear regularly, but I can see him being cut. I think comes down to Woodhead, Bolden and Kettani. I think the FB might have the edge since he could back up at RB if needed. Woodhead's skill set is mostly covered if not surpassed in some ways by Vereen or Demps. Bolden is solid for a UDFA, but not a stand out in anyway.

It would be easier to call if we had a better sample size than we have with Vereen and Demps right now because Woodhead has experience and production over all of them.

I like Woodhead, even have a Woodhead shirt I wear regularly, but I can see him being cut. I think comes down to Woodhead, Bolden and Kettani. I think the FB might have the edge since he could back up at RB if needed.
Between Bolden and Kettani, Kettani is more likely to pass waivers and end up on the practice squad.

Between Bolden and Kettani, Kettani is more likely to pass waivers and end up on the practice squad.

They've had Kettani as a full back though, so if he is kept it would have probably been as a FB.

He's just throwing around names. Also said Woodhead and Cunningham aren't completely safe.

I don't think either are safe to be honest with you. Cunningham has had plenty of chances and just doesn't seem to "have it". Woodhead although I project will make roster I wouldn't be surprised if he could be cut to save room for a 4th TE (seeing as how we will feature a 2 TE set often) and to keep the 2 new guys Bolden and Demps who I believe have way more upside then Woodhead.

Vereen is never going to amount to anything at this level (try not to cry, Fanboys).

Give me Woody everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could be cut to save room for a 4th TE (seeing as how we will feature a 2 TE set often).
Visanthe Shiancoe will be cut since he can't even make it to the practice field.

Another crazy guess by a writer without any proof to generate clinks on the link

No way is Vereen cut....especially with BJGE gone

Hmmm . . . let's see . . . how many of the RBs have proven experience running the no-huddle with Brady . . .

So you're saying Woodhead is the linchpin in the effectiveness of the no-huddle?

THE POWER OF SUGGESTION COMPELS YOU! The power of suggestion compels you.....

What a load of crap. A guy tweets out a single line of wild speculation and we have the capabilities to translate it into 6 pages (so far) of pure unadulterated BS. :rolleyes:
Have we become so enamored with our own "voices" that we no longer care about what it is we talk about....just so long a we are talking?

No only is Vareen a talented RB and versatile RB, he's had, up to his injury, a great camp. I know its Bedard's job to load up his tweet machine with crap on a regular basis. I imagine you wouldn't have any followers if you didn't. I'd guess its almost as important to put in dumb outlandish stuff as well as the smart things, in order to create the buzz. I UNDERSTAND why he does it.

What's our excuse. ;)

What's our excuse. ;)

I suppose, like Bedard and his tweets, we have nothing better to do with our time either...I have no problem with this seemingly silly cycle that fills the slow days at work, personally.

Last edited:

Vereen is never going to amount to anything at this level (try not to cry, Fanboys).

Give me Woody everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I really have no dog in the fight, but how can you make a definitive prediction like that for Vereen at this point? He's had one season without an offseason so far in his career. Let's wait and see before we basically call him a bust.

I think this could be right... it would make room for Ventrone.

"Being surprised" and a "good chance" are not the same

If you wouldn't be surprised, it means you think it's quite possible, or a good chance.

Saying that someone probably makes the final 53 means you think the chance of them being cut is slim.

The two are more different than they are alike. I was just trying to figure out your view, which appears to be pretty wide at this time. Whatever works for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back