PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Part of me Wouldn't Be Surprised if They Cut Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Bedard: "Part of me wouldn't Be Surprised if Vereen Cut"

Cutting Vereen leaves us how many RBs?

Not going to happen (coming from someone that's pretty good at Madden) ;)

Woodhead is up against Demps, not Vereen.

Vereen, and Demps will both be on the 53 man roster.

Woodhead probably will be too.

Woodhead is on the bubble and I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut.

Hoyer traded before 53 man deadline

I can't see Woodhead getting cut. He has been too good for us.

Plus you know the Jets would scoop him right up. I would be shocked if it happened.

Greg Bedard's Twitter said:
By the way, anybody saying Vereen is this great talent is going off reputation, not anything we've seen here. He's underwhelmed

I disagree with this one. There have been a couple occasions when he's looked like he could be the most complete back on the team. It's just that those occasions have been few and far between thanks to injury and a slow start to the 2012 camp.

I don't think talent is the question with him. It's health and opportunity.

Side note for long-term planning: it's a risky proposition to cut a guy who you control on a rookie contract through 2014 for a guy who will be an UFA at the end of this season. If they did cut Vereen to keep Woodhead, they'd be essentially creating a hole where there doesn't need to be one next offseason.

All in all, though, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't both make the team.

Vereen has not proven he is better than Woodhead as a 3rd down back.
Vereen has not proven he could be a starting RB.
Vereen has not shown anywhere near the explosion that Demps has shown in one game.

I see nothing about his running that makes him special in any way. Maybe it translated to the college game better. Almost like a slower, smaller version of Maroney.

It would be surprising only based on his draft status and being in his 2nd year.

Bolden looks like more of a NFL RB to me than Vereen does.

I can't get my arms around that one, however.
Let's say that they cut Vereen and Ridley gets a high ankle sprain against the Titans. Just sayin .... Bedard didn't think this through unless Bolden is now trusted.

Last edited:

Hoyer traded before 53 man deadline

Woodhead is up against Demps, not Vereen.

Vereen, and Demps will both be on the 53 man roster.

Woodhead probably will be too.

So, you think Woody will probably make the roster, but there's a good chance he's cut. Got it. :confused:

Let's say that they cut Vereen and Ridley gets a high ankle sprain against the Titans. Just sayin .... Bedard didn't think this through.

Ridley
Woodhead
Bolden
Demps

If they went that way, I think the assumption would be that Bolden > Vereen, and there'd be no issue, beyond the norm, if Ridley sprained his ankle.

Who would the RB's be if BB only kept 4?

Ridley
Bolden
Vereen
Demps

Hope they keep 5

So, you think Woody will probably make the roster, but there's a good chance he's cut. Got it. :confused:

"Being surprised" and a "good chance" are not the same

I still think there is a strong possibility that Bolden could pass waivers and end up on the practice squad.

Way to go out on a limb Bedard...seriously have Vereen showed us anything? :confused: Based on what i have seen so far from him...i would rather Woodhead over him. Stevan Ridley plays faster than Vereen. Maybe the Coaching staff feels like Demps can be groomed for the role as a 3rd Down RB.

Last edited:

Bedard said he was just thinking out loud, not that it was going to happen but I agree with him 100% on this.

Way to go out on a limb Bedard...seriously have Vereen showed us anything? :confused: Based on what i have seen so far from him...i would rather Woodhead over him. Stevan Ridley plays faster than Vereen. Maybe the Coaching staff feels like Demps can be groomed for the role as a 3rd Down RB.

It actually is a pretty bold statement. I can't remember the last time a 2nd rounder has been cut this soon. Not saying BB has a rule against it or anything but it just doesn't seem to happen IIRC.

I still think there is a strong possibility that Bolden could pass waivers and end up on the practice squad.

Bolden = BGE part II not flashy but gets the job done...i say he's a keeper. We don't want to be passing on 3rd and short.

By the same logic that he's using here, isn't he also suggesting that Spikes "could" be cut?

Seems like a pretty careless, sensationalist statement, especially when there's an obvious reason why Vereen isn't practicing, in that he got hurt just a couple of days ago.

Eh, to me it just seems like he has a job to do, deadlines to meet, and, like us, has no clue who will and won't make the cut and is throwing anything he can think of against the wall to see what sticks. It's what journalists typically have to do around this time of year considering how much the Patriots organization doesn't give them. I don't view it as sensationalist at all, though I too would be surprised to see it happen.

Demps could be a problem for Woodhead next year but I think pushing him into Woodhead's role now puts Tom in danger.

Last edited:

I highly doubt that Vereen will be cut. Wilhite and Wheatley both showed nothing and BB kept them longer. Vereen has so much potential if he can stay healthy. His cap hit is negligible. The only reasons I can think of for cutting him would be if he sexually molested BB. Otherwise, if he's injured, he's going to IR. There's no way we'd let him go to our AFCE rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back