PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on the "reform DPI" bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I disagree with QM is that I think both PI and Defensive Holding should remain automatic first downs. Now I hate it when an defense get called for holding on a 3rd and 24, but that should be a part of situational football. Players should be aware.
While I agree that players should be smart I disagree with the notion of defensive holding being an automatic first down. That's too draconian. I would say it's a five-yard penalty with a replay of the down. Why should defensive holding result in an automatic first when offensive holding doesn't result in a loss of a down?

To me, the problem is that it's impossible in many cases to determine OPI vs DPI, because just about every receiver grabs and/or pushes off, and every defender grabs and bumps the receivers. Just like offensive line holding happens on every play, DPI could theoretically be called on just about every pass with tight coverage.

The only way to change the current judgement-based system is to make 'any' contact after 5 yards illegal, but that's not going to happen. And even then, the official would still have to determine who initiated the contact. Just about every Gronk route has contact after 5 yards, but is it Gronk initiating contact, or defenders hacking away at him?

Regardless of what does or doesn't change, at the very least, they should start enforcing the "uncatchable" part of that rule. I've seen so many passes land 10 yards out of bounds but draw flags, and found myself wondering if that was even part of the rule or if I had imagined it.

The only way to change the current judgement-based system is to make 'any' contact after 5 yards illegal, but that's not going to happen. And even then, the official would still have to determine who initiated the contact. Just about every Gronk route has contact after 5 yards, but is it Gronk initiating contact, or defenders hacking away at him?

My father always used to say "basketball is a contact sport, football is a collision sport". I don't know if that was his or borrowed from someone else, but it's spot on. There's no manner in which you could take away those collisions nor a rule to make any call regarding it anything but subjective.

Additionally, these players are so fast now, refs have trouble with the five yard corollary too because they're beyond that mark in micro-seconds.

Others have nailed the root cause, and root cause is always what you seek to change, and that is emphasis and interpretation. The league gets the rulebook it desires. Same as the NBA where there's a caste system in rule interpretation - in the NFL it's the offense that is of the higher caste (unless you're Gronk).

They want a fantasy-fueled, ratings-based product - and emphasize and craft the rulebook to get it.

One of my biggest bugbears with PI is when the officials call it. So often they wait until after a WR gets up and asks for it and often not called by the official closest or in the best spot to see it. Normally only if there wasn't a catch made.

This weekend had an example of why they need to make the call regardless of the outcome of the play. Desean Jackson on a deep route vs NYG makes a diving catch in the end zone. DB all over him clearly PI he makes what is called a catch that play is then reviewed. On this occasion the officials still called it a catch. If they had ruled it not to be a catch the no call can't be added. Make it reviewable helps but how many officials want to admit a member of their crew made a mistake. It's just another way the league can screw teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes