PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on patriots injuries and going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilfork & Mayo are huge losses, but they are not insurmountable if for no other reason than both guys are assets primarily against the run. In the past, we stopped the run first, then (tried) to stop the pass by making teams one dimensional. With Talib and the other guys back there, we're just flat-out good against the pass. It took the Saints game to convince me, but our secondary is the strength of this D right now. The front seven has done very little in these first weeks to help out the back end, Mayo & Wilfork included in that, and yet the pass D has flourished. If anything, the bulk of our sacks have been coverage sacks.

Ultimately, neither Wilfork or Mayo was more than above average at their position in the pass game, and that element of the defense will not change.

So there is hope. But it all relies on Talib staying healthy. If he gets hurt, then, yes, we are F'd.

In short, as long as Talib, Brady & Gronk are playing in January, we'll have a shot. Otherwise, forget it.

I like Bedard but all he is saying here is that they lost some good players and they will pay a price down the road. The first point is correct. The second point is crystal ball stuff that neither he nor anyone else knows. I do not presume to know how players like Jones, Vellano, Collins, Thompkins, and Dobson will progress during the season, how much the team will be improved by the return of players like Gronk, Vereen, Slater, and Amendola, or how effectively these coaches will alter their strategies in light of shifting personnel. At this time in 2001 few people thought they would go on in a few months to win a Superbowl with a rookie QB. Isn't unpredictability one of the great constants in sport? And is there anything more satisfying than seeing the improbable transpire?

The link won't load for me for some reason.

Anyway, he's entitled to his opinion. I don't agree with him, that the next man up won't be enough as I think the depth is better this year than in years past, but I can see where he's coming from. Anytime you lose players of Mayo & Wilfork's caliber it's going to be tough to replace. I just happen to believe this year's crew can get the job done.

Wow. Pretty impressive. A football "journalist" knows the result of a playoff game next January when we are only six games into the season.

I sure wish I were that smart... :rocker:

Isn't it hard to tell in Mid-October whether OTHER teams may face injury situations down the line?

I didn't have any issues w/the piece. Thought it was insightful. Anything can happen but he's just being realistic based on how the team looks like today. If the other elite teams like Denver or Seattle sustain any key injuries like the Pats they'll be in the same predicament.

Welp, the packers lost most of their team when they won the superbowl, and the patriots have a better qb and coach than them so I like their chances.

I didnt have a problem with the article but right now ,Its not easy for the pats just to win the division. They need the bye which reduces one game to win. It helps that the two undefeated teams right now are in the same division so one of them is going via WC which conversely makes getting a WC spot harder. Have to win division first and hope for a bye. If they can take care of business next 3 weeks, they have good shot at that.

I like Bedard but all he is saying here is that they lost some good players and they will pay a price down the road. The first point is correct. The second point is crystal ball stuff that neither he nor anyone else knows. I do not presume to know how players like Jones, Vellano, Collins, Thompkins, and Dobson will progress during the season, how much the team will be improved by the return of players like Gronk, Vereen, Slater, and Amendola, or how effectively these coaches will alter their strategies in light of shifting personnel. At this time in 2001 few people thought they would go on in a few months to win a Superbowl with a rookie QB. Isn't unpredictability one of the great constants in sport? And is there anything more satisfying than seeing the improbable transpire?

You maybe right but 2001 team had a lot of veterans on defense .Right now this team is green on both sides of the ball especially of collins etc have to play major snap.s

I still don't think the 2013 version of Wilfork is a big loss. You can actually argue that Vellano has outplayed him replacing him. You have to assume if he didn't get hurt, he would have improved as the year went along. But what he provided the limited sample size we saw, Vellano has been just as good or an upgrade to that. Wilfork got manhandled one on one by Vlad Ducasse.

I think the loss of Mayo (especially how he played the last two or three games he played this season) is a far bigger loss.

I think this team will get Talib back soon and hopefully Kelly too. Once they are back, I think the defense will be fine in most games. I think Talib has been the most important player on defense, but Dennard and McCourty have both been playing at a very level (maybe Pro Bowl caliber). Chandler Jones is a disruptive factor. Ninkovich is solid. Spikes is a beast against the run and penetrating the line. This team has a lot of talent beyond Mayo and Wilfork. The Pats did a spectacular job vs. the Saints without Wilfork and without Mayo for the latter part of the game.

Usually a big fan of Bedard, not so much on this one. The biggest problem I have is that he says these issues could have been predicted because the Pats had so many guys with injury histories, but the only two guys that are out for good have been incredibly healthy outside of a few minor knee sprains over the years. All of the guys with histories are going to be back, meaning they're only worrisome in the playoffs if they get injured again. I get the "lots of guys with injury histories hurt lately" angle and the "health may limit them in the playoffs" angle, but I don't see the connection between the two.

Usually a big fan of Bedard, not so much on this one. The biggest problem I have is that he says these issues could have been predicted because the Pats had so many guys with injury histories, but the only two guys that are out for good have been incredibly healthy outside of a few minor knee sprains over the years. All of the guys with histories are going to be back, meaning they're only worrisome in the playoffs if they get injured again. I get the "lots of guys with injury histories hurt lately" angle and the "health may limit them in the playoffs" angle, but I don't see the connection between the two.

I noticed that as well. He may or may not be right in the end, but the logic he uses to get there is a bit iffy. Not his best work.

He's probably right. We, as fans, hope he's not. Time will tell. Nothing really to see here...

The Pats have loss some key players, it has created holes, and most likely a team will play better in January and they won't win the Super Bowl. There wasn't much in the way of insight there.

You can write that every team's weaknesses are eventually going to ctach up with them and they won't win the Super Bowl and you will be right 96.875% of the time.

Nothing really insightful and an easy prediction (one and done in the playoffs) based on the key losses. Its what he's paid to do. A more daring one would be to predict they overcome the injuries and advance to the AFCCG. But like most writers, I'm sure he doesn't want to be shown he is wrong.

The silver lining in these injuries happening still fairly early in the season is the opportunity to continue to develop even more mental toughness when faced with adversity which I think is the most underrated asset come playoff time.

Yeah, this jumped out at me too. I think overall his point that losing Mayo and Wilfork might limit their playoff success could be valid; but Bedard perhaps pulled a muscle straining to pat himself on the back there.

As Deus said, we as fans certainly hope he's not right.

Injuries to starters takes a toll on a team?

What next, he'll try to convince us that the sky is blue?

Top notch copy right there.

I'ts all going to come down to Hightower, he barely played the last 2 weeks because we have been using spikes more to offset the loss of wilfork against the run game.

now, he's going to be thrust into a major role in the defense. If he can step it up the defense can keep rolling. Linebacker is one area where I think we have solid depth...theres no way to know how Jamie Collins plays either.

the major factor is we need our secondary to stay healthy..hopefully talib isnt out much longer and can come back against Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back