PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on Gronk's medical advice and return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something happens to these people when they leave the local media scene. Bedard' when he was with the Globe, was very fair with the Pats. So was Breer. Now, in my opinion, Breer is an insufferable dink and Bedard's tone toward NE is clearly different. Hell, around the time of Hernandez's arrest, Bedard described AH as having "a good heart" (evidently not quite as good as his weapons supplier) and claimed he was a "good guy."

Reminds me of when I was teaching and a faculty member would move to the admin. and subsequently be told by the upper admin., "you're not faculty anymore. You have to break ties with the faculty and adopt administrative positions and attitudes on issues." It was not always thus. I think this 'us v. them' attitude developed during the 80ies when admin-faculty salaries really started to diverge. Maybe not a completely apt comparison, but that stark attitude change is familiar.

This is a really strange article. First, it speaks in basic generalities about NFL players, teams and physicians implying that somehow, the Patriots are more prone to this issue than any other team.

Worse, though, is the trail of evidence which is is barely a veneer over an unsubstantiated claim.

Gronk hurt his arm by getting on the field too soon. Sure, I can buy this, but it was the playoffs and if it was re-injured, Rob would have the entire offseason to heal a broken arm. That was a calculated risk with very low downside.

Fanene NFLPA case - how is this even relevant? It isn't as if the doctor pushed for Fanene to go out and play on an injured knee. The case being dismissed seems like a worthy mention here as well, as is the fact that the overlook was to Fanene's (initial) benefit and almost certainly due to subterfuge on his part.

Gronk's ankle - another irrelevant mention. So NFL players do their damnedest to play in the super bowl, even if hurt? You don't say! :eek:

As several people have already mentioned, the Patriots themselves have a vested interest in Gronk retaining his skills past this season. After pissing away one $40mm contract just a few months ago, it seems unlikely that they would be willing to do so again just to win a couple September games against NFC opponents.

Not your best work, Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes