PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard Leaving Globe for Sports Illustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semi-OT: Greg Bedard is leaving the Globe

I became a pretty big fan of his in the short time he covered the Pats. I looked around and couldnt really find much chatter about this, anyone have any other information not covered in his tweets? If true it will mean the departure of one of the better sportswriters in Boston.

Twitter link

k3hoHmZ.jpg

Re: Semi-OT: Greg Bedard is leaving the Globe

If you have checked Erika Leigh's twitter account, I guess she is whining about not being able to get a job in the Boston sports media. She must have applied for this job and was rejected.

well, since I had a senior moment and just started a related thread on th draft board by accident, might as well post here:

Just saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/NEPatriotsDraft/status/326779093028843520

Hate to be losing @GregABedard but @BenVolinPBP will fill his shoes nicely. Greg, make sure you pass him the wet blanket.

And Volin confirms it on his twitter account.
https://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP

Never heard of the guy, but had never heard of Bedard either. Hope he keep things good here.

well, since I had a senior moment and just started a related thread on th draft board by accident, might as well post here:

Just saw this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/NEPatriotsDraft/status/326779093028843520

And Volin confirms it on his twitter account.
https://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP

Never heard of the guy, but had never heard of Bedard either. Hope he keep things good here.

He used to cover the Dolphins, so he's moving on up.

I became a pretty big fan of his in the short time he covered the Pats. I looked around and couldnt really find much chatter about this, anyone have any other information not covered in his tweets? If true it will mean the departure of one of the better sportswriters in Boston.

Twitter link

k3hoHmZ.jpg

Hopefully he doesn't get watered down.

Wait! Bedard is leaving the Globe after the draft?!? Why wasn't there at least three or four threads on this subject already? Someone is really dropping the ball. :D

Seriously, guys Bedard moving on from covering the Pats is a loss. This guy knows his football -- real Xs and Os. Sees things in tape better than so called analysts calling games on TV. Real student of game.

Going on to SI w/ Peter King. Hope he will continue his incisive coverage of the Pats and of course looking forward to his analyses of the broader NFL.

All the best, Greg.

Wait! Bedard is leaving the Globe after the draft?!? Why wasn't there at least three or four threads on this subject already? Someone is really dropping the ball. :D

Maybe it was just me but the forums were down for about a day... kept getting database errors and interestingly enough there are no threads about that either. :confused:

But anyway on topic, I noticed after Albert Breer left here he still continued to have valuable iinformation on the Pats and seemed to continue a deeper relationship with the Pats and Pats media than any normal national writer. So if we are lucky Bedard will continue to have some scoops and insight on the Pats.

He used to cover the Dolphins, so he's moving on up.

Yea, I don't know much about the new guy either but I've been trying to read some of his Dolphin coverage the past few days and going back to the archives. It may be because he is more of the beat reporter down there, but he kind of just seems like another guy. Granted, Bedard set a very high standard for that position but there doesn't seem to be much analysis coming from Volin (at least of what he's done with the Dolphins). Maybe that changes with his new role with the Globe but I am hoping that role he's filling continues as one of insightful analysis (I thought Matt Chatham or Field Yates would have been a great choice if they were available) rather than just reciting what a normal fan can pick up on. There are way too many people on the Pats beat that provide that as is.

This makes me very upset, but there's nobody else out there who deserves it more.

Amen. Sounds like he landed a sweetheart gig -- the guy in charge of actually talking football for Peter King's new venture while King talks about himself. Major nationwide audience.

I'd also like to give major props to the hiring editor at the Globe. When they first hired Bedard, the announcement was met with a resounding "Who?" Somebody has a good eye for talent. The problem with their sports section is the old guard like Shaughnessy who have settled into lazy shtick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing