PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard film review of Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since I believe Garoppolo will be the starting QB of the New England Patriots by this time next year, it's meaningful to me...

Backup QB in a blowout = probably less meaningful than a butterfly flapping its wings half a world away.

Back to Bedard:

Other night not on Josh.

Too many different variables to fairly assess Brady's performance.

Says all the problems around him has 'sped up' Brady.

Up until the second half the other night, thought Brady's played fine this year.

Would you still pick him at that spot now that you know how bad this OL is and they could have picked OL there? IDK who was available at that spot however

Tough call. If Garoppolo becomes a top 5 QB in a few years, I will sacrifice this year for another ten to 15 years of a top QB. If the Pats truly believe this guy was a steal in the second round and will be a top QB in the league when they move on from Brady and they end up being right, I don't know how you can not make that pick even if it sacrifices short term success.

god those two are unbearable.... had to turn it off

Tough call. If Garoppolo becomes a top 5 QB in a few years, I will sacrifice this year for another ten to 15 years of a top QB. If the Pats truly believe this guy was a steal in the second round and will be a top QB in the league when they move on from Brady and they end up being right, I don't know how you can not make that pick even if it sacrifices short term success.

I understand that. I just wonder if they would have been better off trying to give brady more help probably knowing they would trade mankins to try and get him 1 more ring.

I get building for the future. But i wanted to see more around Brady in terms of help that's for sure.

Back to Bedard:

Bengals - Protection and weapons. You can have that?

Does still think this game is winnable for the Patriots. Thinks this is a last stand, and that the team's been mentally soft to this point.

"This team needs to show mental toughness."

Patriots should beat the Bengals

End of the Bedard portion of the program

Would you still pick him at that spot now that you know how bad this OL is and they could have picked OL there? IDK who was available at that spot however

If it was between him and an OL player? I would still pick him.

Problem with the OL was Stork missed time and they decided to put Devey at RG for 100% snaps of the preseason instead of letting Fleming get time there. They should have abandoned the Devey RG project after the first preseason game.

And went with Solder-Mankins-Wendell/Connolly-Connolly/Fleming/Cannon-Vollmer as the rotation in preseason. Stork missed time so I didn't include him in this hindsight.

Cannon got thrust into LG without taking 1 snap there in preseason. Devey after impressing no-one except the Patriots staff got the RG job. Then they go Cannon-Wendell-Connolly at a certain point in Miami and it was actually decent then Wendell gets hurt on the strip sack, then it's Solder-Cannon-Connolly-Devey-Vollmer. With Solder struggling out of the gate. They try to scheme it up against the Vikings and it works some, then their hubris showed in the Raiders game and instead of scheming it up and coming in with a run first game plan like they did in the Vikings game against a porous Raiders run defense they decide they are gonna run their regular offense. Which you got 2 guys that shouldn't be at the positions they are and your LT struggling. Although a couple of miscues at the goal line makes that game closer then it should have been. Then BB decides to go with what he probably should have been the line from the get go.

I just don't think there was an OL in the 2nd round that was so great that it overcomes the poor coaching decisions with how this line has been handled through the preseason and the first 4 weeks.

Last edited:
I understand that. I just wonder if they would have been better off trying to give brady more help probably knowing they would trade mankins to try and get him 1 more ring.

I get building for the future. But i wanted to see more around Brady in terms of help that's for sure.

But is there a guard that they could have taken there that is doing anything right now?

We have seen from our AFC East competitors how hard it is to get a franchise QB (Miami has been looking for one since Marino, the Bills since Kelly, and the Jets since Namath). If Garoppolo is a franchise QB, I think he is far more important than any guard short of John Hannah reincarnated that you could have taken. Again, that is if Garoppolo becomes the Pats' starter and is good some day.

And prior to this year, the Pats have done a great job getting o-linemen late in the draft or UDFAs or just off the street and make them serviceable to good.

But is there a guard that they could have taken there that is doing anything right now?

We have seen from our AFC East competitors how hard it is to get a franchise QB (Miami has been looking for one since Marino, the Bills since Kelly, and the Jets since Namath). If Garoppolo is a franchise QB, I think he is far more important than any guard short of John Hannah reincarnated that you could have taken. Again, that is if Garoppolo becomes the Pats' starter and is good some day.

And prior to this year, the Pats have done a great job getting o-linemen late in the draft or UDFAs or just off the street and make them serviceable to good.
My opinion is that if we even remotely think that Garoppolo can be the real deal then we should not trade him, not even for two 1st round picks. I usually go by the same example as you. We have seen how hard it can be to get a good QB. Our divisional foes have struggled for a long time with that, so have many other teams. If you believe that you have a QB for the future then you should not trade away that QB to build around your 37 year old QB.

What did Felger say to support the cap is crap argument ?

His reply was specific to the Steelers, as opposed to a general take. BTW, Belichick has said much the same thing that Felger has been saying. Felger takes his position too far, but his basic case is correct. Hell, the Revis deal is concrete proof of it.

The impact of the new CBA should alter that a little bit, with the new requirements of actual money spent and the cap floor, but that's a matter of degree rather than kind.

Great stuffs guys, and thanks for the transcribe.
Time for the Patriots to simplify the defensive and offensive playbook, and just let the players play their strengths.

I heard about 3/4 of this live. Bedard is terrific but you'd be lucky to get 20 minutes of him over the course of two hours once you subtract the time devoted to caterwauling by the hosts and the oppressive amount of advertising.

I occasionally toggle back and forth between F&M and D&H during the afternoon drive home from the office. Seems like F&M are actually harder to take when Bedard is on. Not sure if they're competing for airtime in an especially obnoxious manner or if they just sound worse when there's a remotely reasonable person involved in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes