PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard film review of Patriots at Kansas City Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says Garappolo will have the most success of this year's rookie QBs.

In the past, BB could rely upon his coaching ability and the coaching staff to make up for drafting (and other) liabilities, and on Tom to help too. That hasn't been the case so far this year.
This post is it.

Year after year, BB lost coaches and was able to replace them with a coach of equal or similar value, until this year. He's taken so many chances on personnel thinking that the coaching would fill the gap, not this year. At some point (probably when your franchise QB/legend is about to retire), you have to stop taking the pawn shop route, and just get the shiny, better, more expensive product(Steve Smith, Nicks, Kelly, TE in draft, Sanders last year, etc)

On another note, I never saw Kelly being this big of a loss. Obviously we forgot how good he was before CIN last year, when he got hurt.

What would help this D? 4-3/Nickel setup. Jones/Nink DE,VW & JV? At DT, mayo Hightower Collins at LB?

Passing situations sub Easley for JV. Nickel have Revis Dennard and Browner. Browner on TE or slower WR? Running downs put Browner in the box to flatten Gio?

Idk this defense has so much potential if they're put in the right spots, it seems like IMHO

Most successful (long run) of the current rookie QBs

- JAG

Bedard throws the "Cap is crap" back in Felger's face. Says that the Steelers are mediocre because they mismanaged the cap.

At least he thinks they are much better then this so there is a plus

Says Garappolo will have the most success of this year's rookie QBs.

And, despite all the present hand-wringing, a big part of the reasoning there is because he will be part of a good team with ... the Patriots. you know, the team built for long-term success.

Bedard throws the "Cap is crap" back in Felger's face. Says that the Steelers are mediocre because they mismanaged the cap.

My buddy keeps saying the cap is crap. I keep pointing out Oakland

Who did he say was a turnover machine? I missed it.

Pittsbugh's problem

- GM, bad drafting, no cap space. Says it's impacted the depth

Ooohh... Felger retorts, and makes a very solid argument

Favorite TV analyst

- Eisen best studio guy
- Collinsworth in the booth, Simms doesn't do enough homework anymore

Still need a minimum level of competence. I think Bedard has a point, but I don't think it's inside/out as much as it is a variance position by position.

If you look at the last five years, there has been an obvious focus on position groupings each year (and an attempt to strengthen the secondary every year with mixed results.) It was the OLs turn this year to get younger with the three draft picks. I suspect the Patriots are not done there, by the way.

Overall, I like that the Patriots are the 5th youngest team in the NFL, and I like the talent at all position groups of the offense, defense and on special teams. I'm not crazy about every player, but overall, there's a lot in place.

My hope is that we're watching growing pains that will yield improved results as the season wears on. As mentioned in the previous post, the coaching staff needs to put these players in a position to succeed, and not pretend that they are a savvy group of veterans who can execute the complicated packages that so far have caused confusion.

Thanks to all of those who're transcribing the details. Agree with Deus that some of them are rich points that could be their own thread discussions.
1) Why BB plays vanilla early in the year, not revealing gameplan layers (and by extension, why they didn't feel the need to play some of those cards thus far, given the middling results much of the team has had).
2) Whether the team construction philosophy has fallen behind the times (inside out, outside in, etc.)

And, despite all the present hand-wringing, a big part of the reasoning there is because he will be part of a good team with ... the Patriots.

I hated this draft class for QB and part of the reason I hated the Garoppolo pick at the time, but the kid has won me over. I think he could be the Brady replacement in a few years. Not expecting him to be elite, but I think he may be the second best QB in the division right now and be an above average to really good QB in the future.

I hated this draft class for QB and part of the reason I hated the Garoppolo pick at the time, but the kid has won me over. I think he could be the Brady replacement in a few years. Not expecting him to be elite, but I think he may be the second best QB in the division right now and be an above average to really good QB in the future.

Would you still pick him at that spot now that you know how bad this OL is and they could have picked OL there? IDK who was available at that spot however

I said this in another thread. Collins is miscast as a 3-4 ILB. He is a 4-3 WLB.
Pittsbugh's problem

- GM, bad drafting, no cap space. Says it's impacted the depth

Ooohh... Felger retorts, and makes a very solid argument

It's always incredibly hard to judge the Steelers drafts because they don't really play rookies all that much. Their draft always look damn good on paper though, that's for sure. I especially think the Steelers nailed the draft this year with Shazier and Tuitt.

I think the issue in Pittsburgh is coaching. Tomlin has the easiest HC job in the NFL with **** LeBeau as his DC and he still can't cut it.

Not happy with the 2013 draft

Are you crazy? We waited and waited, and then finally stole Duron Harmon in the third round (just ahead of one of the backs that ran all over us on Monday by the way). This was after the larceny of Jamie Collins in the 2nd. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but what would you do different with those two gems.

Backup in a blowout. Other than an extra point with no time on the clock and the game already decided, there's basically nothing less meaningful in football.

Well, since I believe Garoppolo will be the starting QB of the New England Patriots by this time next year, it's meaningful to me...

Are you crazy? We waited and waited, and then finally stole Duron Harmon in the third round (just ahead of one of the backs that ran all over us on Monday by the way). This was after the larceny of Jamie Collins in the 2nd. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but what would you do different with those two gems.

Dude, seriously. You make a fair number of good points. You just do it from such an obvious troll position that I can't even bother to defend you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back