PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Blaming Tom Brady for Ravens loss is way off-target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article except, Brady DID carry them to victory in 2003.

I put this and the last 5 years of playoff nightmares on Giselle. Thank you for turning our once tough and focused QB into a bag of marshmallows. Soft as Charmin. I want the gritty, non-rattled, playoff-focused, pre-Giselle QB to re-emerge in January and February football games.

I like Bedard, he doesn't pull any punches with his assessment of the talent levels. He gives the Ravens the edge at RB, OL, WR, TE (no Gronk), DL, LB and Secondary (basically every where except QB). The scary thing is San Fran is even more talented than Baltimore.

Even with a slight edge in personnel the Patriots didn't execute, in the playoffs execution trumps all. The Pats had enough talent but didn't get it done.

-------------- From the Globe article --------------------

"And this year, the Ravens played better overall, and, quite frankly, had more talent last Sunday night.

The Ravens’ offensive line — after it made the postseason switch to, from left to right, Bryant McKinnie, Kelechi Osemele, Matt Birk, Marshal Yanda, and Michael Oher — played better than the Patriots’, and by a pretty good margin. The Ravens are neck and neck with the 49ers for best offensive line of all the postseason teams. They’ve been unreal leading up to the Super wl. The Patriots were good, just not as good as the Ravens.

The Ravens running backs are better, and they also have a fullback — something Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels obviously desired but never found.

Dennis Pitta, Ed ****son, and Billy Bajema are, as a group, better tight ends than Aaron Hernandez, Michael Hoomanawanui, and Daniel Fells. Actually, it’s not even close. Flacco was making hay in an “11” personnel set that was Boldin, Torrey Smith, Pitta, Jacoby Jones, and Ray Rice. Which group puts more stress on a defense from sideline to sideline, the Ravens’ or Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Hernandez, Deion Branch, and Danny Woodhead/Shane Vereen?

Defensively, without an extraordinary effort from Vince Wilfork and with the injury to Kyle Love, the Ravens were clearly better and deeper up front with Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, Terrence Cody, and Paul Kruger as starters, and Ma’ake Kemoeatu, Pernell McPhee, Arthur Jones, and Courtney Upshaw in reserve. The Patriots’ group of Rob Ninkovich, Wilfork, Love, and Justin Francis; and Trevor Scott, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Deaderick clearly does not match up.

Dannell Ellerbe was clearly the best cover linebacker on the field.

And I’d be willing to argue that, even with a healthy Aqib Talib, the Ravens’ nickel secondary of Cary Williams, Chykie Brown/Jimmy Smith, Corey Graham, Ed Reed, and Bernard Pollard is better top to bottom than Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Devin McCourty, and Steve Gregory.
"

This seemed pretty obvious to me. Brady played just about as well as he has most of the season, but the gameplan/personnel was right into the hands of Baltimore. He didn't turn the ball over until the game was out of reach (and that was on a tipped ball, the second one was a mistake but a desperation pass.) He moved the ball very well through the first 2.25 quarters, choosing the best options and putting the ball on the money. The mental mistake before halftime was definitely a bad call, but that isn't what cost them the game. What cost them the game was being thoroughly beaten down in every aspect of the game in the second half, on offense, defense, and special teams. Completely failing to regrasp the momentum of the game by making a big play anywhere. Playcalling on both sides of the ball had a "you got us! we know we're screwed, but we'll just stick to it anyway" feel to it.

I wasn't aware that Brady was a major target of blame.

Also in the article -- Armstead is the equivalent of a high third-round pick.

Armstead (6-4½, 295) likely would have been drafted right where the Patriots signed him — for top-of-the-third-round money ($650,000 guaranteed, first year base also guaranteed). The Colts and Eagles were offering the same deal.
...“He’s not a first-round pick; slow down there,” the CFL executive said. “He dominated in the Grey Cup. He may have been their best defensive player, but he was facing an NFL free agent-type offensive lineman and kind of had his way with him.”

I wasn't aware that Brady was a major target of blame.

Right. I started the thread with the word "choke" in the title, but even then all I was suggesting was what Bedard said in

My fleeting thought: The Patriots seem to play tight in big spots. It seems like, as individuals, they are trying not to make a mistake. Almost robotic.

plus a little outright possibly-nerves-based inaccuracy as well (e.g., a throw bouncing far from the receiver's feet).

This seemed pretty obvious to me. Brady played just about as well as he has most of the season, but the gameplan/personnel was right into the hands of Baltimore. He didn't turn the ball over until the game was out of reach (and that was on a tipped ball, the second one was a mistake but a desperation pass.) He moved the ball very well through the first 2.25 quarters, choosing the best options and putting the ball on the money. The mental mistake before halftime was definitely a bad call, but that isn't what cost them the game. What cost them the game was being thoroughly beaten down in every aspect of the game in the second half, on offense, defense, and special teams. Completely failing to regrasp the momentum of the game by making a big play anywhere. Playcalling on both sides of the ball had a "you got us! we know we're screwed, but we'll just stick to it anyway" feel to it.

They scored 13 points. Like it or not, that falls on the QB. In 2007 they were on the verge of immortality and scored 14 points. Last year...17 points. In their 7 losses in the BB era they have averaged 18 points a game. Unfortunately, the 27 ppg they've given up doesn't matter. QB gets the credit (too much) when they win, and gets the blame (too much) when they lose.

Brady simply doesn't have the team around him he had in the 01-04 run. Welker/Hernandez et al might be bigger "names" than Givens/Patten/Branch (in his prime) but those guys stepped up when it counted. The defense - you can undermine it all you want and say they weren't all that - was unreal. And Brady, while he didn't have the numbers then he has now, was at his best, being a huge contributor to a great "team."

The Ravens beat us (and the Giants in the two SBs) the way we used to beat the Colts and Rams...physical defense, timely offense.

This team just isn't that team anymore. They're good enough to win the division and make the playoffs, but come January the more physical team always wins. This isn't arena league football.

If we're to win another SB it will be with a major overhaul on the defense and finding hungry players on offense that don't tighten up and drop easy receptions in crucial moments.

Good article except, Brady DID carry them to victory in 2003.

A solid argument can be made that Brady carried the Pats in every Super Bowl win.

Brady was 2001 and 2003 Super Bowl MVP. Branch was the 2004 Super Bowl MVP due to Brady.Super Bowl XXXIX MVP

Maybe I'm missing the actual analysis here, but to me it seems like this is just Bedard listing off the regulars for each unit and declaring the Ravens > Pats. I sure would like him to back up all these statements. I would think if it was so cut and dry he would've been picking the Ravens to win, or did he expect Brady to magically have a great game against a team he historically struggles against to make up for the lack of talent at every other position...

An embarrassing piece of fluff from Greg Bedard.

"So, basically, I think any criticism of Brady is nonsense. His team was less talented than its foe. His team didn’t play well. He didn’t play that well. Nobody in the salary cap era is ever going to be as good as Montana. That’s just the way it is."

Really Greg?? Any criticism of Brady is nonsense?? What an embarrassing comment to make. Have no credibility when you spew this fan boy fluffiness. Huh, last time I checked great players ELEVATE those around them. In fact Brady has always gotten credit for his early career successes while working with "inferior" offensive talent. That was always the mantra but now that Brady no longer has that big game magic it's "Don't Blame Brady it's da team"

What nonsense!

Welker's drop is on Welker. BUT....missed a wide open Hernandez in the flat, Ridley's "drop" happened on a ball thrown behind him on his back shoulder, forcing the ball to a covered Welker on 3rd down with a wide open Woodhead standing all alone 20 ft to Wes' right, the embarrassing lack of clock management/game awareness at the end of the 2nd qtr costing the team a chance at a TD, 4th and 4 with a running lane (Tom is over 6 feet tall - Tom simply falling forward gets him 2 yds) and he throws an incomplete pass on the run.....and on and on it went.

You're right Greg, Brady deserves NO criticism. :rolleyes:

This piece makes too much sense and fails to be accusatory enough. Has to be homer BS. Anyone who agrees with this has to be wearing rose-colored glasses. Written by a wuss.

Stand by from message from Homer BSer----

Bedard makes one good point I agree with. In the last few years, the Pats have not played well in big games. The thing that struck me is the winners showed more intensity. In this year's championship game I didn't see Tommy yelling on the sideline. I saw a subdued bench for most of the game. The offensive line played one of its best games against Baltimore and the Pats should win when that happens. All year long they made 3rd downs, this game they failed. Welker and Lloyd don't make catches they normally make. Tommy throws in the dirt.

I give Baltimore for finally attacking the Pats weak spot, the middle of the field passes. Any team serious about beating the Pats should come out throwing down the middle 10-20 yards. It's open just because of the defensive scheme and because of LB's that don't cover.

I'm not complaining though. BB has built a whole new team, defense is evolving, very young, running game is competitive and we were in the championship game and will be SB contenders next year.

So as a Homer BSer- I'm looking forward to what Bill does to improve the team for next year.

BTW-heresy, the last piece is to trade Tom before he declines. How about to Arizona? Play with Mallett for a year and if he can't manage the team effectively, trade all the picks for Terry Bridgewater next year.

Bedard makes one good point I agree with. In the last few years, the Pats have not played well in big games. The thing that struck me is the winners showed more intensity. In this year's championship game I didn't see Tommy yelling on the sideline. I saw a subdued bench for most of the game. The offensive line played one of its best games against Baltimore and the Pats should win when that happens. All year long they made 3rd downs, this game they failed. Welker and Lloyd don't make catches they normally make. Tommy throws in the dirt.

I give Baltimore for finally attacking the Pats weak spot, the middle of the field passes. Any team serious about beating the Pats should come out throwing down the middle 10-20 yards. It's open just because of the defensive scheme and because of LB's that don't cover.

I'm not complaining though. BB has built a whole new team, defense is evolving, very young, running game is competitive and we were in the championship game and will be SB contenders next year.

So as a Homer BSer- I'm looking forward to what Bill does to improve the team for next year.

BTW-heresy, the last piece is to trade Tom before he declines. How about to Arizona? Play with Mallett for a year and if he can't manage the team effectively, trade all the picks for Terry Bridgewater next year.
I hope you recognized my sarcasm.

Bedard's point is that you have the best QB in football. He didn't say Brady is infallible. If your starting point is already the best QB in football, then look elswhere for improvement. That's a perfectly logical point for him to make.

The way Brady plays, with his quick release, his pocket presence, etc., makes this team infinitely better especially since you can take a bunch of castoffs (Wendell, Thomas, Connolly, McDonald) and stick them in the middle of the line, and you can be successful. In the past, we saw him take wide receivers off the street like Caldwell, Gaffney and Stallworth, and that team should have won the Super Bowl!

I remember people saying the myth of Brady was over after he threw an INT to Marlin Jackson in the AFCCG. The idea that Brady could lead the team to a TD from 80 yards away with 50 seconds left is a bit farfetched, the fact that he threw an INT with 17 seconds left at the Indy 40 is not surprising at all, since you have to gamble in that situation with defensive backs roaming the field.

The point is, the Patriots have the QB position covered. That's not a concern. Bedard is absolutely right.

An embarrassing piece of fluff from Greg Bedard.

"So, basically, I think any criticism of Brady is nonsense. His team was less talented than its foe. His team didn’t play well. He didn’t play that well. Nobody in the salary cap era is ever going to be as good as Montana. That’s just the way it is."

Really Greg?? Any criticism of Brady is nonsense?? What an embarrassing comment to make. Have no credibility when you spew this fan boy fluffiness. Huh, last time I checked great players ELEVATE those around them. In fact Brady has always gotten credit for his early career successes while working with "inferior" offensive talent. That was always the mantra but now that Brady no longer has that big game magic it's "Don't Blame Brady it's da team"

What nonsense!

Welker's drop is on Welker. BUT....missed a wide open Hernandez in the flat, Ridley's "drop" happened on a ball thrown behind him on his back shoulder, forcing the ball to a covered Welker on 3rd down with a wide open Woodhead standing all alone 20 ft to Wes' right, the embarrassing lack of clock management/game awareness at the end of the 2nd qtr costing the team a chance at a TD, 4th and 4 with a running lane (Tom is over 6 feet tall - Tom simply falling forward gets him 2 yds) and he throws an incomplete pass on the run.....and on and on it went.

You're right Greg, Brady deserves NO criticism. :rolleyes:
You made some good points. You also know that you can reach Bedard by e-mail at [email protected]. My experience is that he will reply.

Silly to blame brady. When I see a QB with his experience and knowledge hold the ball for 7 seconds and find no one open, I assume there is no one getting open. Also, key drops killed them.

As I predicted, the Ravens skill position players stressed every level of the defense, leading to breakdowns. They were just better there. And Bedard makes a case that the Ravens were better along the lines as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes