Welcome to PatsFans.com

Beckham to LA

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  2. F0nSY

F0nSY Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Do you like soccer?:eek:,I'm a Real Madrid Fan...Good luck beckham in Los Angeles!!!
  3. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I support Manchester United. How bad does that look, supporting New England AND United? ;)
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

The irony of this is that very few people here in the U.S. really care, or even know who Beckham is. It surprises me that an American pro soccer team has that much money to spend. He should be playing in England or Europe where his ability is appreciated.
  5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +204 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

In the end, all this move is is an elephant's graveyard. At his best, Beckham was a player I enjoyed watching a lot. He was very talented, although not astonishingly so (Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Zidane) but he played with great heart and had an excellent "sense" for football -- a real football intelligence. But now he is past his best and his wife wants to live the celebrity life in LA. Good luck to them!
  6. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This sort of signing happened in the days of the prior soccer league when the New York Cosmos signed Pele and Franz Beckenbauer in an attempt to save the league. It worked for about 2 seasons. Seems now that the powers that be are trying to get a greater market share for a league that is now self-sustaining and successful enough that the league does not have to check the obits daily for any of the teams. My prediction is that this signing will kill the league. Fifty million dollars per year is probably close to the net profit for the entire league on an annual basis. I realize that player transfer fees and other received funds have been banked for years to do something like this but I have little faith that it will do anything other than increasing home and road attendance for the Galaxy. Most fans of other sports will not care who Beckham is and those who do care will realize that he is in the twilight of his career. For the record, I am a soccer fan and go to several Revolution games every year.
  7. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, I think you're way off on this.

Considering that the most highly read magazines in the US are the tabloids, I think this will really appeal to the younger, mainly female bracket. The NFL has shown success in attracting female fans, and I think MLS is trying to do the same thing here. He will do nothing but increase the visibility of MLS as a league. His jerseys will sell and he will increase attendance in LA and nationwide, when they travel.

Also, I've heard rumblings that it's not $250M from the team. . .some of it is in guaranteed endorsements.
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +445 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

What, you think that women are going to flock to MLS soccer games now?
  9. F0nSY

F0nSY Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Yes...:D :D
  10. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Absolutely! Seeing him would actually get me to go to one!
  11. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -1

Double dream there.....

I'm sorry but the man's my age. He'll be a grandfather soon. (Girls have younger heartthrobs to worry about - just asked my nieces.) He's a whore and won't be playing full time in 2 years......