PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beckett out for ALDS?

WhiskeyBreath

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Steve Buckley writes, according to a source, Beckett sustained an oblique injury during a bullpen session following his last start and could miss the ALDS.

We are ****ed now.

I hope this is just the Herald looking foolish again.

Steve Buckley writes, according to a source, Beckett sustained an oblique injury during a bullpen session following his last start and could miss the ALDS.

We are ****ed now.

I hope this is just the Herald looking foolish again.
un fu-king believable. :mad::mad: its been nothing but injuries all season long . wbz just reported that hes going to try and go in game three. first brady now beckett :mad::mad:

Game 3? I guess it's better than nothing. Still, he isn't going to be anywhere near 100% and that blows.

Just another page in the long history of Josh Beckett's injuries.

But this isn't the end of the world. Lester has been the Ace this season, and Matsuzaka has been much better on the road than at Fenway. This is going to make it a whole lot tougher, obviosuly, but this isn't necessarily a fatal blow to their chances.

ESPN reporting as well...

ESPN - Beckett (strained oblique) pushed back to Game 3 of ALDS; Lester gets opener - MLB

Beckett (strained oblique) pushed back to Game 3 of ALDS; Lester gets opener
Updated: September 29, 2008, 12:08 AM ET

BOSTON -- Josh Beckett's first start in the AL first-round playoff series against the Los Angeles Angels was pushed back to Game 3 after the Boston Red Sox ace injured his side throwing a bullpen session.

Jon Lester will pitch the opener for the Boston Red Sox at the Los Angeles Angels on Wednesday night, followed by Daisuke Matsuzaka on Friday night, manager Terry Francona said.

Beckett, a postseason star, is slated to start Sunday's game at Fenway Park. A fourth game, if necessary, would be played in Boston next Monday.

"He has to be able to go out there and execute his pitches," Francona said, "but I think he's going to be OK."

Francona said after Sunday night's regular-season finale that Beckett strained the oblique muscle in his side on the 40th pitch of his normal side session Friday in the rain before the opener of a three-game series with the New York Yankees.

"I don't think it's frustrating," Francona said. "Things happen and you deal with them and if you deal with them well enough, you handle it. If you don't, you go home."

The team medical director apparently thinks that it's minor and nothing to worry about.

"It was on his 40th pitch," Francona said. "He was almost done. And again, I don't think it was something where he threw it and grabbed it. It was almost between pitches and he took a deep breath and he was, like, 'I feel something,' so he stopped. He went out and got treatment. They've been working on him. Initially, when you hear something like that, you're kind of like, '[Oh, no].' But Dr. Gill came in and said, 'Relax, this is going to be all right.' That was kind of reassuring."
mlb.com

Call me concern.Now Lester and Dice K need to do the job.This team needs to basically hope to come back 1-1 and hope Beckett can pitch a good game.

Lester and Daisuke will come through. The Bullpen needs to step up, and I believe they will.
Now, let's pray Josh is ready by Sunday.

the fact that beckett cant go in game one is a big deal. even if hes fine for game three.

getting Paul Byrd just became a big pick for us...hopefully he steps up and pitches well. I still say if we do not have Beckett, we do not beat LAA...but i am hopeful.

Haven't they beaten the Angels in something like in their last 9 appearances in the post-season against each other? I won't be too terribly worried until the Angels beat the Sox in a post-season game. I like our chances with Lester possibly pitching twice.

These Angels aren't those Angels. They certainly aren't last years AAA playoff Angels.

Obliques are tricky. If it's as Francona says, and simply a tingle and they stopped, then he should be ok by Sunday. However, I'm not sure he'd be bumped to Game 3 if it were so innocent and injury. Either way, the Sox should be fine with Lester and Dice-K going 1,2. Of more concern were I a Sox fan, is Lowell & Drew. Lowell especially. Will Kotsay & ??? be able to make up the loss at the plate? Plus, Lowell's D at 3rd is exceptional, and he keeps Youks great D at 1st base. Still though, I think the Sox have a very good chance of beating the Angels in a short series.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back