PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beating "The Blueprint": Brady on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess because Pittsburgh managed only 16 points against the Chiefs, THEY must have the "blueprint" to stop the Steelers, and we only have to look at what the Seahawks did to the Ravens to determine the clues to stopping THEM cold. :rolleyes:

The Jets don't have any damned blueprint, just look at the point total in 3 of the last 4 games they've played where the Pats have outscored the Jets something like 110-40. What happened last January was more about Brady having an atypical bad game and the team's overall lack of execution than some f#cking blueprint that Rex has.

How sweet was that Dallas blueprint when the Pats went on that last drive to win the game, or even the Giants. Where was that blueprint when Brady took the ball down the field so fast he left too much time for the Giants to come back.

I don't deny that it would SEEM that generating a pass rush with just 4 and pressuring the Pats wide outs and bracketing Welker to be the way to go. But don't you think the Pats might noticed this too. huh?

The loss in Pittsburgh wasn't nearly as bad a defeat as the one they gave us during the regular season in 2004....and how did that work out for them the 2nd time around. And haven't we beat the Ravens a couple of time SINCE the loss in 09?

Finally when are we going to learn that the failures in 09, and 10 have NOTHING to do with THIS team. Its like a coin flip. No matter how many times it comes out heads in a row, the next one is STILL going to be 50-50 on the next one. More than half the players on this team weren't even on the roster in 09.
As of this moment we only know that we have an 8-3 record. We really don't have any clue as to how good we will be in January. We don't know who will be healthy. We don't know who will progress

What we DO know is that it would seem that THIS Pats team is more cohesive and mentally tougher than the last 2 versions. If we are lucky enough to get SEVERAL players back healthy and the team continues its progression, then we will probably do well in January. If not.....then they they STILL might surprise us like they have the last 3 weeks ;)

Last edited:
I'm so tired of listening to this blueprint talk. If there was a true blueprint to beat Brady, he wouldn't still be on pace to shatter Marino's yardage record. He wouldn't be on pace for over 40 TDs.

Even earlier this year, we don't even know if his struggles had to do with good defenses exploiting his weaknesses or just his arm injury affecting his throwing which in turn made him overthink things a bit.

When teams consistently stop Brady doing the same thing, we can talk about blueprints. It hasn't happened yet.

Ken -

You and posters like AndyJohnson can dismiss the pattern of this team's postseason failures dating back to February of 2008, but that would not be appropriate.

The fact remains, each of this Pats teams losses since then have had similarities. And while the Patriots offense has been historically prolific since, its output has been all for naught when it mattered.

It's something we used to deride Colts fans for, but now apparently cling to for solace.

Until the Patriots can defeat a team that is noticeably physically tougher than them (as the Giants in 07, Ravens in 09, Jets in 10 and Steelers this year in the regular season were), even homers like me will have to take regular season beatdowns of lesser opponents with a grain of salt.

We can call it what we want, blueprint or whatever. The fact is, only a couple teams can execute that blueprint.

That's why this offense destroys most teams.

Unfortunately, to get a ring, it will have to go through a team that is tougher than it. Fortunately, the makeup of this year's team is different, and there is hope for a different outcome.

Last edited:
When teams consistently stop Brady doing the same thing, we can talk about blueprints. It hasn't happened yet.

This isn't a valid point Rob - not all blueprints can be followed. Marcus Samuelson could write me up a great recipe right now, but I wouldn't make the food the way he did.

The Giants, Ravens & Jets, for instance, have given this Patriots offense more trouble than other teams in this prolific run. And they have done so consistently. What they share in common is a physically tough defense, and what two of them notably share in common is the ability to get pressure without sacrificing coverage. One of those team lacks it, but makes up for it with a corner who can cover anyone on his own.

The majority of NFL teams do not have the personnel to give the Patriots offense trouble. Those that do can build upon the successes each have had against the Patriots, and if you don't want to call that a blueprint, that's semantics.

But the fact remains - this Patriots team will have to do something different to win a ring this year. Because the last several attempts have fallen short in similar fashions.

Last edited:
This isn't a valid point at all.

Not all blueprints can be followed. Marcus Samuelson could write me up a great recipe right now, but I wouldn't make the food the way he did.

The Giants, Ravens & Jets have given this Patriots offense more trouble than other teams in this prolific run. And they have done so consistently. What they share in common is a physically tough defense, and what two of them notably share in common is the ability to get pressure without sacrificing coverage. One of those team lacks it, but makes up for it with a corner who can cover anyone on his own.

The Jets have given the Pats' problems different ways when they have been successful. In fact, the last time they had success, they went against the generally accepted way of doing it by covering the Pats' receivers man-to-man (which is the Jets' strength) to a zone coverage. So the Jets' "blueprint" is to not have a blueprint.

Ok, you convinced me. The blueprint to stop the Pats' offense is to have a dominant defense. I wonder if that blueprint will work on the Packers too.

The only real common factor in the blueprint is that a great defense has the ability to shut down a great offense. That blueprint has worked for 70 something years in the NFL. Do you really think that if a team could knock Aaron Rodger's receivers off their routes and pressure him with only a four man rush, he would struggle too? How about Drew Brees?

So the Pats' best way to counter the supposive blueprint is not play teams with great defenses.

Last edited:
So the Pats' best way to counter the supposive blueprint is not play teams with great defenses.

No - the Pats have beaten plenty of great defenses during this run.

Ken -

You and posters like AndyJohnson can dismiss the pattern of this team's postseason failures dating back to February of 2008, but that would not be appropriate.

The fact remains, each of this Pats teams losses since then have had similarities. And while the Patriots offense has been historically prolific since, its output has been all for naught when it mattered.

It's something we used to deride Colts fans for, but now apparently cling to for solace.

Until the Patriots can defeat a team that is noticeably physically tougher than them (as the Giants in 07, Ravens in 09, Jets in 10 and Steelers this year in the regular season were), even homers like me will have to take regular season beatdowns of lesser opponents with a grain of salt.

We can call it what we want, blueprint or whatever. The fact is, only a couple teams can execute that blueprint.

That's why this offense destroys most teams.

Unfortunately, to get a ring, it will have to go through a team that is tougher than it. Fortunately, the makeup of this year's team is different, and there is hope for a different outcome.

The only similarities among those losses is that our offense wasn't up to the task each time. It isn't a toughness issue, whatever that means. It's about matchups and balance, which the Pats have this season and have lacked in the past. Also, Brady is now 100%, which he wasn't in any of those losses.

The only piece they lack now is a better athlete at WR, because I think Deion will disappear in a playoff game against a press corner. But so far they've been able to exploit the matchups where they have the advantage.

Our D is going to be fine, they won't be the issue.

I'm so tired of listening to this blueprint talk. If there was a true blueprint to beat Brady, he wouldn't still be on pace to shatter Marino's yardage record. He wouldn't be on pace for over 40 TDs.

Even earlier this year, we don't even know if his struggles had to do with good defenses exploiting his weaknesses or just his arm injury affecting his throwing which in turn made him overthink things a bit.

+1.

If it weren't for Rodgers amazing season, Bradys THIRD amazing season would be getting more coverage. He should break the yardage record and with the schedule he could throw 45 TDs.

Last edited:
I have discovered the blueprint on how these threads usually end up...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back