PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beason

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Breaking down Beason's performance... he played in 18 games over the past 2 seasons vs. non-cellar dwelling BCS conference opponents. In those 18 games, he registered 0 forced fumbles, 0 passes broken up, 1.5 sacks, 1 interception, 12.5 stuffs and 83 conventional tackles. That production is paltry compared to other top LB prospects vs similar competition. His size is on the low end, his athleticism good but not great (32'' vertical, 4.72 combine 40). So he has neither great production, nor great measurables. What's the big deal?

Breaking down Beason's performance... he played in 18 games over the past 2 seasons vs. non-cellar dwelling BCS conference opponents. In those 18 games, he registered 0 forced fumbles, 0 passes broken up, 1.5 sacks, 1 interception, 12.5 stuffs and 83 conventional tackles. That production is paltry compared to other top LB prospects vs similar competition. His size is on the low end, his athleticism good but not great (32'' vertical, 4.72 combine 40). So he has neither great production, nor great measurables. What's the big deal?

Pats smokescreen hoping that the Bills will think that there is something special there and select him instead of Willis. Just a guess.

Where did you get Beason's vertical numbers? He didn't do that at the Combine because he hurt his knee.

Also, since you claim that Beason's production is paltry in comparison to other LBs, could you please show us the comparisons you used citing the quality of opponents that players such as Posluszny and Willis played against.

I like beason but in no way am I going to go balls out to defend him, what I gather is he is a hit machine, a true head knocker, young and full of potential.

um im pretty sure he ran a 4.62 and a 32.5 verticle

and he wasnt healthy..had a tweaked ACL

Beason has above average athletism..hes very quick which is better than striaght line speed for a player. He hits hard and he actually has better stats

38 games played: 182 tackles. 20 for loss, 2 sacks

stats are hard to find for defensive players in college

Last edited:
Here is my list of first day ILB candidates for the Patriots.

1. Willis - he's the best and will have no trouble starting and playing well in the Patriots 3-4

2a. Beason-just not as good as Willis
2b. Harris- neck and neck with Beason
3. Pos- could be better than the other 2 but may be a guy without a postion
4.Bradley- like Pos but not a talented
5. Deossie- only at #91, if no one better for us is there.

Siler is off my list.

Here is my list of first day ILB candidates for the Patriots.

5. Deossie- only at #91, if no one better for us is there.

Siler is off my list.
And, interestingly, Deossie is off my list as an ILB. As an OLB I'd take him but whereas I like Siler, I can't see the finesse, non physical Deossie fighting off blocks inside for us.

And, interestingly, Deossie is off my list as an ILB. As an OLB I'd take him but whereas I like Siler, I can't see the finesse, non physical Deossie fighting off blocks inside for us.

He would be worth a pick because of versiltility and his ability to learn. But, certainly not a high pick. Maybe not until the 4th round.

Where did you get Beason's vertical numbers? He didn't do that at the Combine because he hurt his knee.

Also, since you claim that Beason's production is paltry in comparison to other LBs, could you please show us the comparisons you used citing the quality of opponents that players such as Posluszny and Willis played against.

Big 10 and SEC quite a bit better than the ACC this year. Wake Forest won the ACC for god's sake. Not sure who'll make the better pro. But, Poz and Willis played against tougher competition. If we're going to take a lb from the ACC in Rd. 1, I'd take Timmons from Fla. St. I think he's more suited for the 4-3 though. If we take an olb in Rd. 1. I'd take A.Spencer from Purdue. He's going to be a very good edge pass-rusher. And, eventually be able to replace Colvin.

I got the numbers at nfl.com. Willis played in 15 games vs. non-cellar dwelling BCS conference opponents over the last 2 years. In those games he registered 2 forced fumbles, 5 sacks, 9 passes broken up, 9 stuffs and 140 conventional tackles. David Harris played in 18 such games. He registered 2 Forced fumbles, 1 interception, 2.5 sacks,13.5 stuffs, 1 PBU and 116 tackles. The much maligned Rufus Alexander, who has similar measurables to Beason (although Alexander had a better vertical jump and bench press) and is roughly the same size (Beason measured in at the Miami pro day at 229 lbs), played 20 such games and had 5 forced fumbles, 1 INT, 5.5 sacks, 8.5 stuffs, 9 passes broken up and 130 tackles. As far as Beason running a "better" 40 time at his pro-day, players almost always run .1 better at their pro day. The surroundings are comfortable, they are used to the track, and the track may even be slightly downhill as it has been discovered to be at several college campuses. A good rule of thumb is to add .1 to pro day 40s. In this case that jives with Beason's combine time of 4.72.

Last edited:
Big 10 and SEC quite a bit better than the ACC this year. Wake Forest won the ACC for god's sake. Not sure who'll make the better pro. But, Poz and Willis played against tougher competition. If we're going to take a lb from the ACC in Rd. 1, I'd take Timmons from Fla. St. I think he's more suited for the 4-3 though. If we take an olb in Rd. 1. I'd take A.Spencer from Purdue. He's going to be a very good edge pass-rusher. And, eventually be able to replace Colvin.

That is why the numbers I mentioned are over a 2 year span. If you remember, the Big 10 was supposedly down in '05 with Michigan doing a belly flop. The great SEC had it champion blown out by West Virginia in a bowl game and Wisconsin destroyed Auburn in the bowl. The ACC last year had more players drafted and more 1st rdrs than any other conference. The talent pool is pretty even. I consider Florida's trouncing of Ohio State a fluke, not the proof of SEC supremacy that some claim.

I was just talking about last year. But, Big 10 was better in 05 too. OSU was loaded; Hawk,Carpenter,Whitner, etc. PSU had an outstanding team.
I think FSU won the ACC with about 4 losses. I know they gave PSU a tough game in The Orange Bowl. But, PSU had the ball on the goal line late with a lead and the C made a bad snap or they would have won in regulation. Also,
Poz got hurt in that game. Plus, starting RB T.Hunt got hurt very early in that game.

Where would Beason play for us?? After watching more film on him, there's no chance this guy can play 3-4 OLB.

Where would Beason play for us?? After watching more film on him, there's no chance this guy can play 3-4 OLB.

First of all. He ran a 4.64 at Combine and a 4.62 at Pro Day

and he would play inside

What's so great about him? At best he'd be a 4-3 ILB.

His strength numbers from the combine weren't that good either.

IxNay on him.

MY LB's

Willis
Beason
Siler
POz

What's so great about him? At best he'd be a 4-3 ILB.

His strength numbers from the combine weren't that good either.

IxNay on him.

um watch him play and you'll see

First of all. He ran a 4.64 at Combine and a 4.62 at Pro Day

and he would play inside
Thanks for clearing that up, but I'm still skeptical of him playing that position as well. He's a friggin tank, no doubt about that, but I wonder if all that bulk would get tied up in blocks.

Maybe he could play safety. I think he'd just get buried at ILB in a 3-4. As soon as a 300 pound guard touches him, game over. Hard to give up 70 pounds.

Maybe he could play safety. I think he'd just get buried at ILB in a 3-4. As soon as a 300 pound guard touches him, game over. Hard to give up 70 pounds.

college players bulk up. Bruschi is 240ish..Beason is 237

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes