PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears release RB Cedric Benson after latest arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was great! Sure, it falls into the butterfly effect category, but I thought the whole tone and eventuality of it was hilarious!

I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and what's so funny is that your namesake is being discussed in another thread lol. Your article definitely came to mind:D

Perhaps. I chugged a glass of rum one night and blew into it and it registered at over 4.0 meaning that if it were true, I would have been in an alcohol induced coma.

I think you're right. I started adding more and more drinks to the equation and it went over 1.0 so I just assumed the 0.016 was higher than 0.8.

Anyhoo, so you guys understand why I immediately go into attack mode when things of this sort happen, it's because nobody else gave us the benefit of the doubt about the whole Spygate garbage/SB walk-thru so I don't see why we should extend other teams and their fans the same courtesy.

I've always heard that every drink (beer, or small mixed drink, don't know about shots) equals a 0.02 BAC. With every hour, you'd also remove 0.02 from your total BAC.

So you could have three beers in an hour, and you'd be at 0.04.
[(0.02 x 3 drinks) - (0.02 x 1 hour)] = 0.04
In two hours, you could have six beers, but you'd be right there.
[(0.02 x 6 drinks) - (0.02 x 2 hours)] = 0.08

This is by no means scientific because weight and other factors are not included, but it is something I've been told by cops, attorneys and others who deal with drunkies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and what's so funny is that your namesake is being discussed in another thread lol. Your article definitely came to mind:D

Really? How'd I miss that?!? Jeeze, I feel derelict in my duties ;)

[edit]Ah yes, I should have suspected the "worst team" thread, good stuff...good stuff. One could certainly argue that our worst team was the impetus behind our success since then. [/hijack]

Last edited:
Benson is in the program for DUI. Drinking anything is a problem for him, that's the way it works. Playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a right. When he was arrested in 2002 while still in college for partying a little too loud and hearty, and charged with possession of pot and alcohol, it was the cops fault then too for picking on him.

This is an interesting piece from Chicago on his stay in the windy city. As they say, someone else will give him a shot, top 5 picks in this league always get at least two or three bites at the apple. His 5 year contract signed after a 36 day holdout was for $35M with $16M in signing bonus. He has now hired Ricky Williams and Reggie Bush's lawyer to rehab his employable image.

"He wasn't crying because he was overcome with joy or pride. He wasn't crying over the honor of running in the city where Walter Payton ran or playing for a proud franchise that reveres its football stars or any other reason he has offered the past three years.

No, Cedric Benson cried on the day of the NFL draft in 2005 because he was upset the Bears took him with the fourth overall selection. Benson was so filled with fury and frustration over the contentious contract battle he knew awaited him, one that eventually led to a 36-day holdout, that he couldn't fight back the tears rolling down his cheek.

It's a telling account that reveals something about Benson that the Bears never had a chance of overcoming: From Day 1 as an NFL player, Cedric Benson was always about Cedric Benson. And always would be.

From holding out to leaving the sidelines early during a game to pouting over playing behind Thomas Jones to partying at 2 a.m. in a city where his bull's-eye is even bigger than it is in Chicago, Benson put himself ahead of the team. That attitude might not make Benson unique in the NFL or even on the Bears. But it contributed as much as anything to Benson becoming an ex-Bear.

Criticize Angelo for whiffing on the 2005 draft class that featured Benson and second-round pick Mark Bradley, but not for the way he handled this. Angelo didn't do this to Benson. Benson did it to himself."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...go-bears-cedric-benson-haugh,0,1614268.column

Interesting information about Cedric...we Pats fans are so lucky in so many ways. Tears of fury...how did these draftees become so entitled. I'm glad the Bears cut him- hopefully this gives the 09 group a little reality check.

Beyond that, I've never been sold on Lovie Smith -- they should have kept **** Jauron. One thing I've never understood about the Bears is their perennial disdain for the quarterback position. That franchise has had one serviceable QB (Jim McMahon) in the last 45 years. Granted, they've had a lot of busts and bad luck at the position, but you'd think at some point they'd make it a priority until they finally got it right.

I'm not sold on Smith, either; but IDK if he has much say in personnel decisions there. Lovie seems to only be able to take a team as far as its talent allows it to be taken, and no farther. But he gets a pass from me regarding his deteriorating roster. Perhaps our friend Keegs can shed more light on this subject.

And it is indeed amazing that da Bears haven't had a period of sustained QB superiority since the days of Sid Luckman over 50 years ago. 50 years! The only reason that a slightly above-average QB like Jim McMahon is treated like a god in Chicago is that, compared to all those who came before and after, he is one.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now they have no quarterbacks and no running backs. Maybe the Pats can send them Green-Ellis and Cassel. :D

They drafted Forte. The Bears obviously prepared themselves to move on way before this even happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back