PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears release RB Cedric Benson after latest arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine that, Two years ago they had 2 good RBs they didn't know what to do with.
This year they're both gone.:p

Should the Pats bring Benson in for a look???????

:rolleyes:

It's a shame what has happened to him.

The guy simply dominated Texas high school football for three years then had a very good career at Texas. Now he's close to washing out of the NFL because of drinking.

I'm not saying we should take a look at him but I do hope he can clean up his act then get on somewhere where he can make something of his career.

It's a shame what has happened to him.

The guy simply dominated Texas high school football for three years then had a very good career at Texas. Now he's close to washing out of the NFL because of drinking.

I'm not saying we should take a look at him but I do hope he can clean up his act then get on somewhere where he can make something of his career.
I'd say it's more than drinking. He's close to washing out of the NFL because of sucking. He's a power running back who's afraid of getting hit and can't break tackles with any kind of regularity who's also terrible at picking up the blitz and basically everything to do with being a good RB. Doing some stupid **** off the field just sealed the deal.

The players' union really has to get some form of due process for situations like these included in the next CBA. They used to have a clause which prevented this sort of nonsense, but they let it get changed. I hope they've learned their lesson about that.

The players' union really has to get some form of due process for situations like these included in the next CBA. They used to have a clause which prevented this sort of nonsense, but they let it get changed. I hope they've learned their lesson about that.

Absolutely! It's embarrassing for the league and Players Union that there are no protections in place for overpaid underperforming drunks and druggies who routinely embarrass their team both on and off the field. Let's all hope Upshaw can restore order and honor to the sport before things get completely out of hand!

What? The league is going in the exact opposite direction, and there will be no clause in the next agreement. The guy blew it. Maybe he'll catch on somewhere else once he gets his act together.

Jerry Angelo is one of the best GMs in football-why he missed out on this guy is beyond me.

I'd say it's more than drinking. He's close to washing out of the NFL because of sucking. He's a power running back who's afraid of getting hit and can't break tackles with any kind of regularity who's also terrible at picking up the blitz and basically everything to do with being a good RB. Doing some stupid **** off the field just sealed the deal.

Well sure, it's not just his drinking. He's been a disappointment up to this point. However, with his talent, someone would have picked him up in a hurry had the Bears cut him simply to move on. His off-field problems are going to keep teams from wanting to give him a shot.

If he can get his stuff together and get on a team with a good support group, I think he can turn it around. Thomas Jones was a bust after 3 years with Arizona. He's been a different player since then. I doubt Benson will ever see a Pro Bowl if he does get another shot but I do think he can become a contributor.

Absolutely! It's embarrassing for the league and Players Union that there are no protections in place for overpaid underperforming drunks and druggies who routinely embarrass their team both on and off the field. Let's all hope Upshaw can restore order and honor to the sport before things get completely out of hand!

What's embarrassing is people so willing to watch others lose their jobs over unproven allegations.

Jerry Angelo is one of the best GMs in football-why he missed out on this guy is beyond me.

Maybe because Angelo is no longer one of the best GMs in football, Tuna. I don't know how someone loses his ability to evaluate, but Angelo has found a way. If he's been getting bad advice from his college & pro scouting directors, then he needs to fire both of them, as soon as yesterday. Both the QB & RB positions are completely effed-up; da Bears might even score less points than KC this season. His trades/FA signings have generally backfired, and his drafts have been underwhelming and reach-laden.

This franchise is headed for yet another downward spiral; the laughingstock Lions might overtake them in the Norris division this season. The next guy to be released from Chicago should be Angelo.

What's embarrassing is people so willing to watch others lose their jobs over unproven allegations.
Jobs that they got because of unproven talents and character? I have no problem with guys being paid millions, more power to them if they can get it. I also have no problem with teams cutting them for embarrassing actions and poor performance. The only thing I think the union needs to be involved in is protecting players from being dropped for injury, as I think that falls into an entirely different category.

Jobs that they got because of unproven talents and character? I have no problem with guys being paid millions, more power to them if they can get it. I also have no problem with teams cutting them for embarrassing actions and poor performance. The only thing I think the union needs to be involved in is protecting players from being dropped for injury, as I think that falls into an entirely different category.

I like the article in your sig.

Maybe because Angelo is no longer one of the best GMs in football, Tuna. I don't know how someone loses his ability to evaluate, but Angelo has found a way. If he's been getting bad advice from his college & pro scouting directors, then he needs to fire both of them, as soon as yesterday. Both the QB & RB positions are completely effed-up; da Bears might even score less points than KC this season. His trades/FA signings have generally backfired, and his drafts have been underwhelming and reach-laden.

This franchise is headed for yet another downward spiral; the laughingstock Lions might overtake them in the Norris division this season. The next guy to be released from Chicago should be Angelo.

I'd have to agree there. The Bears have secured themselves a pretty solid position at the bottom of the NFL barrel.

Beyond that, I've never been sold on Lovie Smith -- they should have kept **** Jauron. One thing I've never understood about the Bears is their perennial disdain for the quarterback position. That franchise has had one serviceable QB (Jim McMahon) in the last 45 years. Granted, they've had a lot of busts and bad luck at the position, but you'd think at some point they'd make it a priority until they finally got it right.

If you're talking about Benson, I'm pretty sure both allegations are on their way to being proven. The boat, eh. The stories do differ there. But the DUI in the car is pretty set in stone.

If you're talking about Benson, I'm pretty sure both allegations are on their way to being proven. The boat, eh. The stories do differ there. But the DUI in the car is pretty set in stone.

Benson says that he passed the tests without a problem and wants the video shown. How exactly does that make it "set in stone"? I'm not saying Benson is right or wrong, but that's what trials are for.

The players were stupid enough to allow the clause to be changed. They need to be smart enough to get it changed back, in order to insure that even the lesser players get the advantage of due process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots