PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears looking to trade Thomas Jones (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Was on footballguys.com just now, and saw a post regarding word out of Chicago sports radio that the Bears are looking to cut or trade TJ.

Given his contract, which is reasonable I think, they'd be dumb to outright cut him. But they didn't draft Benson at #5 to have him ride the pine. If he is healthy he will log serious minutes in 06. And while it is nice to have a decent backup RB, the Bears already have two in Jones & Peterson.

So my guess is they will try to trade him.

Given the glut of RBs on the market, my guess he could be had for a 3rd or even a 4th.

I think if the Pats can turn their late 3rd into Thomas Jones that would be HUGE. While he isn't the "RB of the Future", he could impact the team immeidately in the near future, and sufficiently in the not-so-distant future if Dillon is gone in 2 years.

I think its a better use of draft picks than taking a RB not-named-LenDale in the 1st.

I know he had some character issues in AZ (breaking your hand picking up the phone??? Right...and Brian Griese tripped over his dog.....), but I have heard nothing about him while in Chicago and he has been a more than good RB in that time.

Anyway, just something to keep on the radar, esp. given BB & Jerry Angelo's willingness to deal in the past.

I wouldn't mind TJ, but I can't see he, Corey, and Kevin all on the roster.

If we could get him for the right price regarding draft choices and salary, I'd make room for him. He has just over 1,000 career carries vs. around 2,500 for Dillon.

I'm not a fan of spending our #1 on an unproven college RB but if we could get a guy like Jones for something like a #3 I'd be all over that. He has a $2M salary next year but at 27 years old that could probably be lowered by giving him a new, longer contract. His current deal expires after 2007 when he is owed $2.25M.

Would be a great pick up. He had a monster year with 1335 yds and 9 tds. Only concern is health. I know benson was a high pick, but is Jones $$$ is bad on the cap I cannot see letting him go for an unestablished 2nd yr rb. Benson had health issues this last year. it just doesnt make sense to let him go because he is a solid insurance policy.

Digger44 said:
I cannot see letting him go for an unestablished 2nd yr rb. Benson had health issues this last year. it just doesnt make sense to let him go because he is a solid insurance policy.
At $2M I would think he'd be worth keeping around although they like the #3 guy too, Adrian Peterson, who averaged 5.1 YPC in limited action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back