PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears fire sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianPatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With all this talk about Da Bears looking to clear the books and start fresh, which players would you like most and what would you give for them?
Forte?
Alshon Jeffery for Dobson and a later rounder?
Martellus Bennett?

Just curious....

Forte?
Alshon Jeffery for Dobson and a later rounder?

Just curious....

Keep dreaming! Fire sale doesn't mean they are planning to trade everyone, just the guys that don't fit their future plans. I am relatively certain that Forte and Jeffery are in the future plans of the Bears.

In an ideal world I'd want Jeffery, Bennett or Forte (or Long), but I don't think firesale means they're selling off every half-decent player they have. Looks like they're purging themselves of poor system fits, particularly on defense where they're trying to implement a new scheme. Jeffery, Bennett and Forte are very good, and they're system-versatile too so Chicago has no incentive to just give them away. Those guys have value to the Bears.

It may be possible to get them, but it would take a hell of a lot more than Dobson + a late rounder. The only way I could see any of them being doable is if they're willing/eager to move on from Forte since they figure they won't be any good by the time he slows down, and want to get draft pick value for him now. Even that seems like a longshot to me because of his prohibitively high salary.

IMO the best way to attack situations like this is to do exactly what the Pats did and grab an under the radar guy like Bostic. Or even claim Brock Vereen off the waiver wire, which I presented my argument for here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...drew-luck-in-college-fb.1124059/#post-4358445

Last edited:
The problem with the bears is cutler. I don't know his contract but they are screwed with him

What really sucks for the Bears is to make room for Jared Allen, they restructured Cutler's contract in a way that made him harder to move on from.

Which kinda sucks in its own right, but is even worse now that they had to wait for Allen's roster bonus to come due, eat it since no one would trade for him otherwise, and then trade him for a 6th.

So they made Cutler's deal even more of an albatross in order to fit Allen, who immediately became an albatross in his own right.

Tell me the Jeffery trade suggestion was a joke...

The Teddy Bears have become one of the worst run franchises in football. Unfortunately for them, many of their most serious problems are going to be extremely difficult to solve. In plain English, for the foreseeable future, they're f######.

Looks like Forte is available:

Although this guy apparently can't spell Jeffery's name, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Forte's definitely intriguing, but I'd assume his salary ($5.7M prorated for the rest of the year) makes him a no-go for the Pats. Maybe if the Bears were willing to convert a bunch of it to signing bonus before trading him.

Although this guy apparently can't spell Jeffery's name, so maybe take it with a grain of salt.

Forte's definitely intriguing, but I'd assume his salary ($5.7M prorated for the rest of the year) makes him a no-go for the Pats. Maybe if the Bears were willing to convert a bunch of it to signing bonus before trading him.

Dude, Forte would KILL IT here. But I highly doubt Bill would pay him that salary.

@adamjahns: Phil Emery picks the new #Bears regime have parted with: Khaseem Greene, Jordan Mills, Jon Bostic and now Brock Vereen.

@djdurkin: It’s only 18 games into his career, but I’m starting to look at he seven players drafted immediately after Kyle Fuller and wondering..

@CEmma670: Kyle Fuller has been benched for Terrance Mitchell. Fuller was taken 14th overall in the 2014 Draft. Mitchell went 254th overall.

@AaronLemingNFL: Kyle Fuller is just a bad football player.

I don't know how I'd feel about Matt Forte. One one hand, he's one of the better RBs in the league, and is equally talented running and catching.

I don't know if it would be all that much more production thought than what we already have, and it might really hamstring the cap. (And he's a FA after 2016, iirc) He'll also be 30 in December.

I don't know. I'll have to think about this one.

What round pick would you be willing to give for Fuller?

@adamjahns: Phil Emery picks the new #Bears regime have parted with: Khaseem Greene, Jordan Mills, Jon Bostic and now Brock Vereen.

@djdurkin: It’s only 18 games into his career, but I’m starting to look at he seven players drafted immediately after Kyle Fuller and wondering..

@CEmma670: Kyle Fuller has been benched for Terrance Mitchell. Fuller was taken 14th overall in the 2014 Draft. Mitchell went 254th overall.

@AaronLemingNFL: Kyle Fuller is just a bad football player.
Okay so why don't we trade for him since they feel that way.

Okay so why don't we trade for him since they feel that way.

If BB feels he can fix Fuller, then he's another consideration for a CB trade in the next few weeks.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/

According to this link the Bears already have 23 million in dead money. I'm not sure that anyone is off limits on that team. They are in tank mode.

Some Bears fans' thoughts:

@ChiSportsTweetr: @JWernerScout
- Matt Forte (5th)
- Martellus Bennett (4th)
- Kyle Fuller (6th)

@flachofgeese: @JWernerScout Forte - 4th or 5th rounder.
Bennett - 4th or 5th
Fuller - 3rd

@WRJeffers10: @JWernerScout Forte-Probably a 3 but need a 2
Bennett-4
Fuller-4/5....but didn't they give up Marshall for a conditional 6/7? So who knows.

@LuvTheHawks85: @JWernerScout can't trade fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back