PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears Fan Says 'Good Game'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First off, I've been drinking a little so if my spelling and grammar is bad, I apologize in advance.

Great game.

It seemd like the Patriots wanted it a little more and it was a good, well deserved victory.

Keys plays from a Chicago POV:

1-Bears try the FG and our perfect kicker (at the time) nails it but gets a false start and it moves back 5 yards. Gould has to kick it a little more direct and gets it blocked. 3 points not taken. Great play by your special teams by the way. Also a squandered opportunity by the Bears.

2-3rd and goal. They were moving the ball well and should have had at keast a FG out of it but Grossman injured his hand (either off the snap or on the recovery?) and squandered at least 3 points and maybe 7.

3-Your kicker misses the first FG attempt but the Bears call a T/O right before the snap. It is re-kicked and he hits it. Should have saved the T/O. :explative

4-There's good Rex and bad Rex. Unfortunately tonight it was bad Rex. Most of the season he's been good Rex despite what the media tries to say. He had many problems tonight and he made many mistakes. Against a vetreran proven winner like the Patriots that will not cut it. But don't get me wrong, your defense had much to do with it and brought good pressure. Nice job.

As a side note Berrian has over 100 yards receiving at the half and is forgotten in the second half. Rex should have looked to him more often.

I felt a little shaky about this game before it started. Not only because I respect your team (you've had a great run over the last few years and any Bears fan that says they don't respect them is an idiot) but I felt that your team needed it a lot more than my team did.

It was a game that was won by the team with the least mistakes and your team did what they had to do. Congrats, you deserve the win.

I hope that JR is ok (I've always respected him, a great player and future HoF'er) and I hope this isn't the end of his career. He deserves to go out better than that.

Your team desereved and earned a defensive win. It was sloppy on both sides, not pretty at all, but I feel the defenses had a lot to do with that.

I'm ready to talk about the game so any replies will be welcome. I'd like to hear your turning points and keys. Good job, congrats and good luck for the rest of the season.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope we rematch at the big dance.

Your team has it. They are the class of the NFC. They remind me of the Pats SB XXXVIII team. If da Bears aren't in XLI this year I'll be shocked.

Good game...Tough game. See you in the Super Bowl! :)

Thank you, BE. Classy post.

It was a great game and the Patriots just sneaked it. Maybe, as you say, jus because of greater desire. I think that perhaps you guys are a bit hard on Grossman -- the pressure that he was under would have made it hard for any quarterback (except, maybe, P**t*n M***ing).

The Pats were certainly surprised by the ferocity of the Bear defense. Credit to them for sticking to it. I can't help thinking, though, that the Pats might have won more easily if Junior Seau hadn't had to leave -- did anyone else notice how much the run defense immediately softened up?

rex grossman is decent QB but sometimes he just executes the play specially the long ball when it isnt there...the last drive with a 1 min+ left...the bears had no reason to go for such a long ball ...sure they were hoping a PI but it cant happen all the time..i was a little surprised they didnt try dink and dunk and move the ball the bit closer and then take the shots...

Thank you, BE. Classy post.

It was a great game and the Patriots just sneaked it. Maybe, as you say, jus because of greater desire. I think that perhaps you guys are a bit hard on Grossman -- the pressure that he was under would have made it hard for any quarterback (except, maybe, P**t*n M***ing).

The Pats were certainly surprised by the ferocity of the Bear defense. Credit to them for sticking to it. I can't help thinking, though, that the Pats might have won more easily if Junior Seau hadn't had to leave -- did anyone else notice how much the run defense immediately softened up?

I noticed the run 'D going down as he went out. I think it was a combination of Seau (sorry for calling him JR but in my state I forgot how to spell his name) :D being injurd and the Bears using Benson more which is a more dirct runner. He hits the hole and goes forward unlike Jones. Jones can do that too but he has lapses where he plays around too much (dances) when he should just hit it hard. But mostly I believe, in all honesty, that it was the missing JR that caused it.

I'm not really being hard on Rex. He's a young QB and is learning as he plays. He has a lot of talent but still has problems with just managing the game sometimes when that's all he needs to do. He mostly wants to put in the dagger. I can't fault him for that because at least he has the balls and the skills to go for it unlike many recent Bears QB's. I just know that sometimes I wish he'd learn a little faster. Tonight was the night to be conservative.

To be honest, I don't feel bad at all about htis game. I know the Bears can play much better but I also know that the Pats can play better. It was just a game where both teams seemed to want to feel each other out and no one ever really understood what the other was doing. So the game ended as it started..feeling each other out.

I would love to play the Pats in the Big Dance. I think it would be great. Both teams would have tape of what they did in this game and would make adjustments.

The Bears would have Manniong Jr back and that would definitely help.

I can easily seeing the Pats making it to the SB and in the NFC I don't really worry about too many teams. I hope I don't sound ****y but the Cowboys, Giants, Seahawks, etc..don't really worry me if the Bears are on their game. Not at all.

The AFC is where the competition is nowadays and I know the Bears can play with anybody, they just have to be smart.

By the way, nice job on limiting Hester today. He's a stud and you all held him in check.

Also, I like the way the Chargers look in the AFC but unless their defense gets back to their earlier form (sorry but they are playing like the Colts 'D now which is not good) they will not make it past the Pats.

The bottom line is that both teams can play much better, you all know it and I know it. A rematch would be the best we could hope for.

Take out the Colts (which you all seem to own) the Chargers and whoever else and maybe the Bears can make it there themselves. If they do, it will be a lot of fun.

As a Bears fan, I hope for a repeat of '85-'86 but obviously, to my dismay ;)
that won't happen. These teams seem to be very evenly matched.

rex grossman is decent QB but sometimes he just executes the play specially the long ball when it isnt there...the last drive with a 1 min+ left...the bears had no reason to go for such a long ball ...sure they were hoping a PI but it cant happen all the time..i was a little surprised they didnt try dink and dunk and move the ball the bit closer and then take the shots...

They had no time outs left...That's why they were trying for a home run or a PI.

First off, I've been drinking a little so if my spelling and grammar is bad, I apologize in advance.

Great game.

It seemd like the Patriots wanted it a little more and it was a good, well deserved victory.

I'm ready to talk about the game so any replies will be welcome. I'd like to hear your turning points and keys. Good job, congrats and good luck for the rest of the season.

Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope we rematch at the big dance.

Posts with class are always welcome. :)

The FGs turned out to be game-deciding (reverse 'em and you get CHI 16 NE 14). . . . When Aikman and Buck were talking about Gostkowski's first kick, they were talking about his booming leg, but apparently didn't notice that it was about a foot too far to the right. :rolleyes: So, yes, the Bears' TO worked to the Pats' advantage.

No matter how good (or bad) da Bears' O was, though, the D has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of; I didn't see any illegal plays on any of the Pats' TOs (cf. the Denver game last year), just good, solid D.

As a Bears fan, I hope for a repeat of '85-'86 but obviously, to my dismay ;)
that won't happen. These teams seem to be very evenly matched.

Thanks for the presence and the post.

The Bears are a terrific team. I, too, expect them in the Super Bowl. The amazing ball-hawking abilities they showed today was enough. Getting Watsons AND Dillon to fumble it up is a testament to the defense.

Urlacher is amazing. Still can't believe Brady juked him. Once in a lifetime.

You missed Manning. we missed Seau. But, far importantly, we missed Harrison. At least one of those long catches would not have been complete if Rodney had been in there, I feel.

These are two very well-matched teams. I feel that Brady > Rex, so I give us the edge. But overall...salute!

The FGs turned out to be game-deciding (reverse 'em and you get CHI 16 NE 14). . . . When Aikman and Buck were talking about Gostkowski's first kick, they were talking about his booming leg, but apparently didn't notice that it was about a foot too far to the right. :rolleyes: So, yes, the Bears' TO worked to the Pats' advantage.

No matter how good (or bad) da Bears' O was, though, the D has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of; I didn't see any illegal plays on any of the Pats' TOs (cf. the Denver game last year), just good, solid D.

I agree. Despite some weird calls, the bear turnovers were earned, completely. Amazing sensibillity on that D.

I'm going to let you all know now that I;m just going to start to respond and not look over my posts as thorough so my mistakes could be worse. I really don't care myself but I know some people take it seriously. I hope you all don't start getting on me about it though.

Yeah, the defense played fine, I agree, you had that good drive when Urlacher was hurting though (he came back in the middle of it thoug and I'm not making excuses, just pointing out things I see from the other side) but he came back while it was still going on so he should/could have regrouped them.

I did see Urlacher get juked by Brady though. :bricks: I'm sorry but I'm sure his teammates will never let him live that down. When you gett juked by a QB and you ahve the pedigree of Urlacher you should never be allowed to live that down. Good job by Tom by the way, he was really pumped off that play and he should have been. It was a big play and he would have never expected to have made it with BU in his area.

Also, I wanted to say that I was impressed with your team's wideouts. I know Brady makes receivers look better than they are (he's the best QB in the league IMO) but they were making some very agile reception attempts. Some of them were tunred over on replay but I didn't expect your wideouts to be so solid. I don't mean to sound like a **** but I know your team has lost many good players over the past few seasons and some of your top wideouts. These guys were going for it and made (and almost made) many very nice catches.

That surprised me a little because I actually thought that was a weakness of your team.

Thanks for the presence and the post.

The Bears are a terrific team. I, too, expect them in the Super Bowl. The amazing ball-hawking abilities they showed today was enough. Getting Watsons AND Dillon to fumble it up is a testament to the defense.

Urlacher is amazing. Still can't believe Brady juked him. Once in a lifetime.

You missed Manning. we missed Seau. But, far importantly, we missed Harrison. At least one of those long catches would not have been complete if Rodney had been in there, I feel.

These are two very well-matched teams. I feel that Brady > Rex, so I give us the edge. But overall...salute!

Thanks.

That's one person I forgot to mention even though it was in the back of my mind (just sitting there but I kept forgetting who I was going to mention, imagine that). Your team really missed Harrison. He's a hell of a player. I don't know his injury. Can someone tell me how long he's expected to be out?

That surprised me a little because I actually thought that was a weakness of your team.

Thanks for your posting. It sucks to lose, I think we all know that, and you are awesome for sticking around.

You are right, though, our QB-WR receiver connection is a weakness until proven otherwise. Sort of like your QB-situation. I know it is common to bash Rex, but I can't help but think he will be under scrutiny until after the Bears make the SB (which I fully expect them to do this year).

No kidding - thanks for the sportsmanship BearEssentials - give a few lessons to bearmick if you get a chance...

While I'll take a "good game" in the spirit it was offered, I think that was anything but...

Sloppy play by both teams - mucho mistakes - some of which were cancelled out by the other team.

Let's not kid ourselves - this could have gone either way... of course most football games are like that, so eeking out an ugly win is nothing to be ashamed about... but its not like either of these teams looks anywhere near ready to go deep in the playoffs either

That's the harsh reality - how many games does one expect the Bears OR the Patriots to win in the post season averaging 3, 4, 5 turnovers a game?

Thanks.

That's one person I forgot to mention even though it was in the back of my mind (just sitting there but I kept forgetting who I was going to mention, imagine that). Your team really missed Harrison. He's a hell of a player. I don't know his injury. Can someone tell me how long he's expected to be out?

At least until the playoffs. there is a chance he would be back for the last week or two, but I don't think anyone expects that.

You're missing the incredible Mike Brown, so it somewhat compensates, atheleticlally.

But if there is anything we miss Rodney for the most it's his QB'ing in the defense. We (the Patriots) depend an awful lot on "Assignments", and Rodney calls them all. He is CRUCIAL to our success.

Thanks for your posting. It sucks to lose, I think we all know that, and you are awesome for sticking around.

You are right, though, our QB-WR receiver connection is a weakness until proven otherwise. Sort of like your QB-situation. I know it is common to bash Rex, but I can't help but think he will be under scrutiny until after the Bears make the SB (which I fully expect them to do this year).

He'll be under scrutiny but it's undeserved in my opinion. Just take a look at the recent Bears QB's. Grossman is much, much better than any of them. He makes mistakes but he can also win a game, unlike any of the others. The rst just manage games and try not to lose them. You can't complain about someone who is the best of anyone you've had in a long time and Grossman is better than all of them even though he's not always consistent. But his youth is partial excuse, and tonight, your defense had a lot to do with it. It wasn't just him tonight. He's played great at times but tonight the Patriots wouldn't let him get comfortable and they deserve all the credit for it.

I have to go now. Thanks for th chat guys and girls. I hope to see you all in the Super Bowl and may the best team win.

Essentials,

Visit back later this week, Pats1 and myself will be doing our analysis of the game off our tivo recordings, your input will be welcome.

No kidding - thanks for the sportsmanship BearEssentials - give a few lessons to bearmick if you get a chance...

While I'll take a "good game" in the spirit it was offered, I think that was anything but...

Sloppy play by both teams - mucho mistakes - some of which were cancelled out by the other team.

Let's not kid ourselves - this could have gone either way...

I tend to agree...Bears fans will blame Grossman (and maybe Asante deserves a little credit here) but both teamswere sloppy....or they were amazing. ??

Let's not kid ourselves - this could have gone either way... of course most football games are like that, so eeking out an ugly win is nothing to be ashamed about... but its not like either of these teams looks anywhere near ready to go deep in the playoffs either

That's the harsh reality - how many games does one expect the Bears OR the Patriots to win in the post season averaging 3, 4, 5 turnovers a game?

Last I checked, the Bears D and the Pats D are ever so slightly better than, say, the Cards' and Raiders' Ds. . . .

I tend to agree...Bears fans will blame Grossman (and maybe Asante deserves a little credit here) but both teamswere sloppy....or they were amazing. ??

grossman deserves some blame but iam kinda surprised no one blames their off coordindator...
we blame mcdaniels so much when he calls weird plays but the bears off coordinator didnt seem to have any intermediate throwing routes in his playbook...its mostly predictable , run thomas left, run thomas right go deep to berrian....somehow i feel their o coordinator needs to develop grossman's intermediate passing game before just blaming him for playing bad

Great Post Bear Essentials.

What impressed me most about the Bears defense was their ability to strip the ball and forcing turnovers. I love watching a defense that can do that...just wish they hadn't done it against the Patriots.

The Patriots defense in the Super Bowl years was great at stripping the ball.

BTW...not sure if you live in Chicago...but I spent a lot of time there in the early 1980s...it is a great city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes