PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bears = Complete CUPCAKE schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a weird,deja-vu,vibe about the Bears/Patriots:

Just like 1985:

1.)the bears are undefeated
2.)the bears play the Pats in the regular season
3.)the bears play Miami,with an undefeated season possibly being on the line,just like 1985

If the Super Bowl in Feb.was at the Superdome,I'd really call this a Rod Serling-vibe.

can anyone remember anymore parallels to 1985?

Last edited:
The Bears are a good NFC team that hasn't been exposed by a good AFC team yet.

R

MrTibbs said:
Has anyone took the time to look at the Bears schedule this season? Outside of the Alexander less Seahawks, Giants and Patriots they play a bunch of nobodies. I bet the end up like 14-2 and lose in the opening round when the real competition shows up.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/CHI

Yeah, they're not squeking by the Bills, Jets and Dolphins. They really suck. The Bills probably should have beaten the Patriots in NE and the Bears toyed with them like a cat with a mouse. Yeah, they suck but hey, if anyone says the mighty Patriots who gained 213 total yards against Miami are overrated, they should be killed. Interesting thinking. By the way, the Bears and Pats schedule is very similar. I don't hear you complaining because the Patriots play in the AFC East and that three of their four wins are against teams that suck. Typical New England fan. You can't just enjoy the Patriots 4-1 start, you have to try and find ways to convince yourself that another team is overrated. Just shut up. Who cares? We'll find out in November.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Typical New England fan .....you have to try and find ways to convince yourself

Either you are getting really good at imitating that clown at the Globe, or you really are that clown at the Globe. Either way you are clown. Please keep posting ... you're a really funny clown. We like laughing at you.

Last edited:
I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yeah, they're not squeking by the Bills, Jets and Dolphins. They really suck. The Bills probably should have beaten the Patriots in NE and the Bears toyed with them like a cat with a mouse. Yeah, they suck but hey, if anyone says the mighty Patriots who gained 213 total yards against Miami are overrated, they should be killed. Interesting thinking. By the way, the Bears and Pats schedule is very similar. I don't hear you complaining because the Patriots play in the AFC East and that three of their four wins are against teams that suck. Typical New England fan. You can't just enjoy the Patriots 4-1 start, you have to try and find ways to convince yourself that another team is overrated. Just shut up. Who cares? We'll find out in November.

Patriots play: Bengals, Colts, Bears, Jags, Vikings, Broncos

Bears play: Seahawks, Vikings 2, Patriots, Giants

Tell me the Bears would win against all the teams the Patriots play? I think not!

Some Football Outsiders stats on strength of schedule:

Avg. DVOA, Past Opponents
---------------------------------
Pats: 2.8% (13th)
Bears: -17.4% (28th)

Avg. DVOA, Future Opponents
-----------------------------------
Pats: -8.0% (28th)
Bears: -10.1% (32nd)

So these numbers agree with MrTibbs (and others), the Bears DO have a cupcake schedule.

Unfortunately for any potential SB matchup with the Bears, some other Outsiders numbers, as of the Week 4 games, agree with TomBradysGoat and others that the Bears are doing what good teams do: stomping the n*ts off their cupcake opponents so far. Bears are ranked 1st in overall DVOA, with the Pats ranked 11th. It's still too early in the season for strong conclusions, but I can't see a really convincing reason why the Bears would lose to the Pats right now, the way both teams are playing currently.

And notice the Pats own cupcake future schedule...

One thing about these numbers is that they'll change throughout the year as more data on the quality of the teams is available (more games are played).

minvardar said:
BB is definitely both a football svengali and soothsayer. Who are we to say he isn't?

Please tell me you are kidding.

To paraphrase our beloved Svengali: you can only play who's on the schedule. This is not college and there are no strength of schedule or margin of victory factors. The Bears are undefeated and in first place and they've earned it.

If a Bears fan came over here and talked about how we had trouble beating the three cupcake teams in the AFC East got whupped by Denver and beat up on Cinci when their LB corps was decimated by injuries everyone would be up in arms. We'll see what happens when the two teams meet in November but to think that BB, his staff and the payers won't do everything they can to win that game is stupid.

Last edited:
njpatsfan said:
The Bears are a good NFC team that hasn't been exposed by a good AFC team yet.

R
Nor have they had their QB stay upright for 16 games. Grossman has yet to play a full season the last few years without injury and he may hit the wall late in the season...........

who the hell cares. They are winning games. I don't care what thier schedule is like. The name of the game is win. Nobody is going to say squat about the schedule if they win it all. We should not be worried about what the Bears are doing.

I see them as a 14-2 team. They will be unbeaten going into the Miami game - and of course Miami will throw everything at an unbeaten team - and then they have three weeks on the road - Meadowlands twice, followed by Foxboro. And then the Vikes who we all know are capable of beating them. I see them going 3-2 over those 5 games. If they go 4-1 I start thinking Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes