PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Be Honest, How Many Of You Wanted To Kick A Field Goal Instead Of Going For It?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Be Honest, How Many Of You Wanted To Kick A Field Goal Instead Of Going For It?

• I wanted to kick the field goal. Take the points and trust my defense to get a stop.

• I didn't wanna take the field goal. I felt like we needed a TD right there if we were gonna win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not change the subject, but I'm curious: how many people think BB should have called a timeout after the 1st and goal run by Beast Mode in last year's SB?

I kinda forget all the details on that, but I remember all the 2nd guessing afterwards, and I think my conclusion at the time was that he made the right choice there.
when it's a bit of an ambiguous situation, or maybe more complicated, or not completely obvious, I always tend to defer to his judgement, of course, and try to learn a little, or understand the thought process rather than immediately try to make myself feel taller by chopping the giants down a few inches.

I think its more likely ghost makes the field goal and puts us in position to not need a 2 point conversion later on. Nobody is saying driving for a TD would have been easy. However us getting a chance to drive for a TD and WIN the game, not just tie it, I think was very probable considering how our defense was playing. I knew, or should I say strongly felt that if we didn't eliminate needing a two point conversion while we still had the chance it would come back to bite us.
I don't know how you could watch that game and feel confident we could get back down there to score a second time. As it turned out everything went perfectly and it took a 4th down semi-Hail Mary.
If BBs thinking was the chances of driving down again were slim, he was correct. They weren't zero, but not far from it.

Reactions: eom
your capability to assess what the 'smart' play was.

Why? I'm not a football coach. I'm sure Belichick knows a lot more about the game than me and made an informed decision based on factors I can't fathom. I don't need to reassess ****, I'm just a fan.

Again - you're missing the point of the thread. I'm certainly not arguing I know more than Belichick or that he was wrong.

bottomline, this would never happen, but had they made that bonehead call to kick the fg + then lost, the exact same people would be up in here pointing out belichick's 'mistakes'.

Incorrect. That would be because taking the points wasn't the boneheaded thing to do. Going for it on both occasions then calling a play action pass on the occasion we're talking about to boot were the boneheaded things to do.

You have to love aggressive play calling.

After all, if they kicked the field goal (either time) and Gronk doesn't come down with taht fourth down bomb, we'd all be left wondering 'what could have been' had they given themselves every available chance to get the TD they needed.

Reactions: eom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back