PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Be honest: How many of you saw Miller's production falling as a big red flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Let me be the first to admit - Miller's shoulder injury affecting his kicking took me fully by surprise. And while his statistics from the last few weeks show his productivity falling dramatically, I'll also admit that I had not noticed this very important aspect of special teams.

What I mean is, I saw his punts, but I took them as abberations - not as major red flags.

So when the team re-signed Ken Walter and then put Miller on IR - it fully took me by surprise.

Anyone else willing to admit to being an avid Patriot watcher who failed to notice Miller's struggles?

I can't recall even one Patsfan member raising the alarm in a post-Colts, post-Jets or post-Packers post.

If you did, step up and take a bow. If you didn't, join me in your admission.

Last edited:
I didn't know how bad it was with him...but since they isgned Braugher to the Practice Squad, I thought there was an issue with him. In 03 they brought in Travis Dorsch fr a game on the Practice squad and it was later learned that not only was ther ea problem with Walter, but that Vinatieri was having back problems. So given how that move was kind of quiet and it was later learned why, I have believed that Miller had an injury and the team was keeping it quiet. It's been evident he wasn't booming them the way he has been, but it wasn't noticed big time until last week. At that point, I knew whatever typpe of injury he had, it was getting worse. I also thought that the fact they didn't IR him right away meant that maybe it was a passing injury, but oce he hit IR, I knew that he was gone for the year. That they are keeping Braugher only means to me that they want to have a young punter in in case Miller can not make it back fully next year. I am hoping he can, but who knows. Till then, it;s Walter's brand of punting. One thing is though, he was always more directional and while not one who boomed punts, did't make it all that easy to return either.

I did. Not sure if I said anything here or not. But I've said several times during games what a mediocre year he's had especially in placement. I think I attributed it to him being in his high 30s more than a likely injury but his poor year was fairly evident.

Here are his stats. They were falling from 47, 46, 40, 36 of late, but I didn't notice it that much. Thought it was atypical as he was booming them earlier in the year. (Note 52 avg in one game) Also, notice the "net" averages, once again indicating he wasn't getting the height on his punts nor distance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3730

Last edited:
It's a real shame. In addition to liking Miller a lot, I thought he was having a career year there for awhile.

I didn't notice it, but then again I was in Asia and missed the last 2 games.

Having lived through Walter, I'm conditioned to be happy when they go more than 20 yards.

Seriously, Millers been great and every punter mis hits sometimes. I didn't notice.

I'm not into the bow thing, but I did notice and mentioned it in the last couple of game threads. That's the thing that has me scratching my head - it wasn't something that happened overnight. He started downhill about 3-4 games ago. Felger mentioned right away that he just wasn't nailing that coffin corner anymore, but at first he just thought it might be a little age showing. Then the hang time and distance on his routine punts began to get noticably shorter as well the last 2 weeks. By last week it was short line drives.

Looking back now in hindsight when they showed his face the last couple of weeks he didn't look himself. Josh is a pretty laid back and confident guy personality wise, and he had an almost skittish look of late like he either didn't know what to expect or post kick he just had no idea why this was happening. And I think he'd started bailing regularly from his Tuesday appearance on Felger's show about 3 weeks ago.

They say football is a game of inches. Well, kicking is a game of millimeters. He may not be injured that seriously or even really at all, but something threw his mechanics off and he wasn't finding a way to compensate for it. Sometimes just kicking injured for a game or two while battling a minor injury can ruin your mechanics for a season. Which is one reason why I always will apprecate how AV battled through his back injury season and we didn't miss a beat. And he came back the next year and had a career season. It's tough to replace a guy in season you seldom notice unless he's abyssmal in a position you never carry a viable replacement for. Which is why Ken is back. :eek:

Last edited:
I'd mentioned it here in a game thread and otherwise. Noticed an abrupt loss of distance and direction in his punts. Didn't know about the shoulder thingy.

It's unfortuneate that we apparently had walter as our best choice available since he was found so wanting before. Hopefully Miller will as good as new next season, but with our plethora of picks in the next draft hopefully there is a college punter worth a pick.

Is Ray Guy Jr out there?

Does this mean a big red flag is Ken Walter? -:) I noticed his distance fall, but I thought whatever was wrong was something that would pass with time. He must have really hurt his shoulder bad. You'd think with a few weeks it would have felt better.

I just want to know who's willing to admit that they're embrassed by the fact that Chad Jackson wears his red long-johns under his uniform when it's below 40 degrees.

Miller's kicks at Green Bay were poor, I was wondering why he was so off. He explained on Felger's show that he wasn't able to extend fully with his arm for the drop he needs to get full torque out of his leg. He explained that the injury is cumulative, dating back to his days as a pole vaulter I believe in high school. He's getting surgery on his shoulder and hopes to be back next year.

Well, I guess the bottom line given his falling production is that the change had to be made - especially going into a game where you're up against a guy like Devin Hester.

I just want to know who's willing to admit that they're embrassed by the fact that Chad Jackson wears his red long-johns under his uniform when it's below 40 degrees.
It's his western heritage, he grew up knowing you wear your union suit year round regardless of how warm it might get. :snob:

And, how is it that you know this???:scared:

My husband and I have said out loud over the last month or so that Miller is/was stinking up the joint. We didn't know it was an injury though - just thought he was "off."

Me. Not on the boards, but in the chat. I've been quite concerned.

It's unfortuneate that we apparently had walter as our best choice available since he was found so wanting before. Hopefully Miller will as good as new next season, but with our plethora of picks in the next draft hopefully there is a college punter worth a pick.

Is Ray Guy Jr out there?

I believe Ken Walter is a true, "The devil you know is better than the one you don't signing." And he is also "gold" on the hold. That's why BB resigned him - probably figured he'd be the best guy to work with the G[h]ost 2/3 of the way into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes