Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
and there are enforcers all over the locker room :D

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=156519
Tight-lipped Pats in midseason form
By Karen Guregian
Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

Friday, September 8, 2006 - Updated: 06:46 AM ES

FOXBORO - Bill Belichick doesn’t know how his team is going to perform on the field Sunday. He can’t tell you how the Patriots are going to take shape, what kind of identity they’re going to forge.

Off the field, in the locker room, however, he’ll be happy to know the boys are behaving just the way he’s drawn it up on the chalkboard.

They’re in the “don’t say anything†and “keep ’em guessing†mode. They’ve adopted the “Us vs. The World†mentality. They’ve shed the “I’s†for “We’s.â€

Maybe that’s why Belichick actually smiled for a half-second yesterday.

By the look and sound of it, his players are in midseason form. The Belichick way has filtered down to all the new personnel and quickly been implemented and ingrained by the coaching staff and the players who know the routine.

The rookies have gotten the message from the veterans that they’re supposed to be seen and not heard.

One locker room scene yesterday had Willie Andrews kindly agreeing to an interview. The first-year defensive back was about five words into his first answer, when Rodney Harrison walked by.

“You don’t have anything to say,†Harrison said, without breaking stride. “You’re a rookie. You haven’t done anything yet. What could you have to talk about?â€

Andrews gave a sheepish look back at the 13-year-veteran.

“I guess I have nothing to say,†Andrews said.

End of discussion.

The classic example is Tedy Bruschi. This is pure Belichickian. Ever since the linebacker suffered his broken right wrist in camp, he hasn’t spoken to the media, dodging at every turn.
This week, with the season opener against the Bills on tap, he made sure not to be in the locker room during media availability. Yesterday was the first time he was seen at practice during the open media portion of the proceedings, which amounts to a brief window of time.
When one reporter was talking to Larry Izzo about Bruschi yesterday, Vrabel, butting in on the conversation as he walked by, cautioned Izzo not to get involved in that discussion.
The question had nothing to do with whether or not Bruschi was going to play Sunday, bulky cast and all, but that didn’t matter.
Similar to Andrews, Izzo had started an answer, but the next words of his mouth after Vrabel’s warning were, “I have no comment.â€
Why?
Forbidden topic.
A minute later, Izzo, perhaps feeling bad about his abrupt non-reply, said, “I don’t like talking about Tedy’s situation. You have to walk a tight line (in here).â€

That’s right. It’s game-face time. The team is in lock-down mode. No time for any breaches. No time to start any fires.
Rookies don’t talk. Bruschi’s injury - or anyone else’s - as well as discussion about Deion Branch’s holdout, are off-limits.

It’s part of the formula for winning. This is Belichick’s way. The Patriots’ way.

I guess BB's kool-aid is still STRONG. :D

Last edited:
I LOVE that Harrison/Andrews exchange. Rodney is a leader and it is great to see the young guys looking up to him, and more importantly, listening to what he has to say.

I don't know why I love it so much, but I do. Perhaps because it is a sign of cohesiveness?

Bella*chick said:
I LOVE that Harrison/Andrews exchange. Rodney is a leader and it is great to see the young guys looking up to him, and more importantly, listening to what he has to say.

I don't know why I love it so much, but I do. Perhaps because it is a sign of cohesiveness?

Yeah I saw that ... it was just what you'd expect from Rodney.
My brother and I had a real good laugh over that one. :D
And I really liked Willie's response “I guess I have nothing to say,†:)

This is unlikely to be a Belichick "muzzle" since he couldn't tell the players what to talk about or not talk about. It seems to be more enforced by some of the veteran's.

Anyone who is worried about the Secondary need only to remember we have Rodney Harrison and they don't.

End of Discussion

I like that Vrabel is stepping into that vocal role. I think last season it would have been Willie to give Izzo the business. I like that even with Willie gone we still have watchdogs. This locker room needs bulldogs in order to keep things the way they aught to be.

this is a great read.I love the chemistry that this team has.Rodney is such a damn good leader.Sad day in New England when he does leave us...again..great read..

TeamPats said:
Anyone who is worried about the Secondary need only to remember we have Rodney Harrison and they don't.

End of Discussion

RODNEY'S back :rocker:

I think this article is a great follow up to Tomase's Leadership article that was posted on this board the other day about who is stepping up to fill the roles of the Willies who have moved on.

Of course Koppen and Colvin weren't mentioned by name in this article, and I don't think Vrabes was in Tomase's either. But still.....its a great follow up.

It'd be great if there was a coaching spot for him in a couple of years

10characterslong

I love this stuff.
Damn, it was a long offseason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back