PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's TE strategies this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I know some hear have joked that BB is going to be bringing out alot of 4 TE formations....but does anyone NOT think that this could be a reality this season? I think we are going to see alot of creative sh$t from BB and McDaniels this season...alot of quick screens....TE (Hernandez most likely....just like last year) lined up in the backfield...may run the ball...may act as FB and block....could roll out on a flat screen.....etc I think that is why BB is snatching up every TE that is floating around out there right now!!! Heck maybe we will add a few TE's on the OL and they can also be eligible receivers!!! You have got to love BB......He keeps "re-inventing" himself and creating new "trends" that every other coach will be "copying"...for years to come! GO PATS!!!!

I think 4 TE's on the field is a possibility in very limited instances. As a regular offense, there is no true deep threat to keep the D honest. Also, keeping Lloyd or Welker off the field does not seem like something I want to see regularly either!

I think 3 TE's will be used moreso. Gotta respect the run, but the weapons to pass will still be there.

It depends on whether you classify AH as a TE or a WR. He's on the roster as a TE, but he serves the role of WR more often.

Gronk
AH
3rd TE
and plug in Welker, Lloyd or Ridley depending on the given play/situation. Why not?

If Lloyd pans out the way we hope, then there's going to be a limited number of time you don't want Lloyd, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, + 1 on the field (RB is my preference).

Out of this formation you can anywhere from power running (though I'd sub Hernandez out for that play) to a 5 wide spread. Whatever it is, it could be real special.

extra blockers.. looks like we may need them.

I don't think too much is changing. I think you're going to see more three TE sets than we saw last year, like what we saw in 2010 with Crumpler on the team, and Aaron Hermandez will do what he's done since then as well; line up out wide on occasion.

I don't think it's too much of a change in strategy. It's a case of we saw what happened when Gronk was nowhere near 100% in the Super Bowl and the effect it had on our offence. We haven't got a receiving corps capable of replacing what he brings as we haven't really had a true and talented split end on the team until Lloyd this year...or at least one that could get on the field. We still lack speed at the position even with the additions of Lloyd and Salas. We have effectively had two slot guys lining up at split end and we survive with it when they have both Gronk and Hernandez to worry about but when we don't, we're royally screwed.

Simple fact is this offence revolves around Hernandez and Gronkowski so we need he depth at that position in order to maintain it should one of them go down. It's really no surprise the attention they have been paying to the position.

Also, let's stop talking about the use of Hernandez in the slot or out wide as if it's something untapped and new. It isn't. We've been doing it since 2010. It does t change his position at all. The league is full of TEs who are lined up or motioned out wide. It's the way the league has developed.

Last edited:
Also, let's stop talking about the use of Hernandez in the slot or out wide as if it's something untapped and new. It isn't. We've been doing it since 2010. It does t change his position at all. The league is full of TEs who are lined up or motioned out wide. It's the way the league has developed.

I don't think anyone is calling it new, from what I read, he lined up off the line of scrimmage in over 70% of his plays last year.

Its more about getting the best players on the field as often as possible.

The reason we've had mostly 2 TE formations the last 2 years is cause our TEs are awesome. If our TEs were average, there'd be alot less 2TE formations.

And our 3rd and 4th TE won't be better than Welker/Lloyd/Ridley/Hopefully-Gaffney-or-Branch.
So I really don't see a 3TE set other than special occasions.

And if Gronk or Hernandez gets hurt, I'd expect the 2 TE formations to occur less frequently.

I think we are going to see a lot of balanced formations with Fells and Gronkowski tight to the formation, possibly in three-point. The Patriots passing game became prolific when they spread the pass defense and forced them to cover the whole field via the spread.

I think they're trying implement a similar concept in the run game, where a balanced ace set allows them to run at any point along the front without declaring strength.

Odds are the Pats will only have three TEs activated each week and some weeks only Gronk and Hernandez. I expect to see quite a bit three TE sets, but rarely if ever a 4 TE set.

I think 4 TE's on the field is a possibility in very limited instances. As a regular offense, there is no true deep threat to keep the D honest. Also, keeping Lloyd or Welker off the field does not seem like something I want to see regularly either!

I think 3 TE's will be used moreso. Gotta respect the run, but the weapons to pass will still be there.

Good points.....I think you will see occasions of the 4 TE sets occasionally...although you have to wonder how many TE's he would/could suit up on any given Sunday? Food for thought!!!!

Hoomanawanui can also play fullback, I wouldn't be surprised to see a jumbo formation with 3 TEs, Hoomanawanui as a FB and a HB in on certain short yardage plays.

The TEs will be serving a late brunch of Pancakes (I just recall where Gronk and Hernandez seemed to clear out the way for a Welker sideline pass and scoot int othe end zone...it really was glorious).

On a more serious note, it we have so uch flexibility, I wonder if we'll see some wrinkles or effectiveness not often witnessed in the NFL.

extra blockers.. looks like we may need them.

That's a real possibility.

When we need to keep TEs to block the offense is different than if they were acting as receivers.

But even then it won't be Hernandez or Gronk staying in blocking for the most part anyways.

I think the staff are going to do something unusual and unprecedented with Hernandez in the offense, this year. The media are all talking about Gronk, but I think Hondo is going to be some kind of a crazy mismatch hybrid that no one will know how to defend. I have him starting in all three of my fantasy leagues.

The fact that BB has looked at every TE in the NFL this offseason is one of the most interesting aspects of the last few months. Ballard, Fells, Schianco... plus Dallas Clark was in town, Kellen Winslow... very persistent efforts to bring another top notch TE onto the team, despite already having two of the best, youngest TEs in the NFL. All I can imagine is that he wants to run 3TE and 4TE sets and a power passing game... but, really, who does that? Line up 4TEs and RB, force the opponent to put an extra LB on the field and then pass over the top of it?

I love being confident that our coaching staff is smarter than just about everyone else in the league. Knowing that BB a plan that I get to watch unfold over the course of the season is pretty special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes