PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's DL approach and Wilfork's dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of Patriots DL have started at NT and moved to DE, notably including Seymour and Ty Warren. I wasn't expecting the move for Wilfork, given how much longer he's stayed at NT than the other guys -- but it also wouldn't shock me if it happened now.

For example -- if you go just by skills, from pass rushing to foot speed, it would seem to make more sense to have Wilfork at DE and Brace at NT than vice-versa.

And frankly, the investment of a high pick in Brace makes more sense if a possibility like that seemed not-ridiculous to BB at the time.

I like the idea of Wilfork, Deadrick, Cunningham at DE and G. Warren, Brace, Pryor at DT.

I was curious if Belichick would try out Wilfork at DE after drafting Brace and trading Seymour. Would be thrilled if Warren can hold the fort at NT. As strong as Wilfork is at the nose, he might actually be more valuable at DE where he can apply some of his pass rush skills.

I've always kind of felt that the NT role kind of limited wilfork. Honestly, I'd like to see more of a big rock at NT, and let Wilfork (who is extrememly quick and agile for a guy that big) keep playing DE.

Coupled with all of this is the continual rotation of many of these first and second year players on the DL and LB corps... this is the harbinger of things to come, stay away from the high priced prima donna's, draft well, take care of the players that buy into the system and play kick ass Pats football...

Hellz yeah Up the Irons!

Erm... we did exactly the same thing in the play-offs when we went 14-0 down. But that time it didnt have quite the same effect.

Wonder how Warren felt about the new alignment Monday morning. He had to be a hurting puppy after his first day at the nose. Not everyone can hold up there. I wouldn't be suprised to see Wilfork back there more often than not.

That is why next year's 1st rounder from Oakland will be a DE.

Marcell Dareus, baby! Mark it down. The guy is top-10 talent, 5-technique DE, playing for Saban. We think that Deaderick has done well transitioning from the Alabama D... wait till Dareus gets in here.

Spikes and mayo played out of there mind last game. You cannot ask them do that every game.

They were crashing the A and B gaps every running down also in Niko [smaller /coverage olb] vince lined up on the that side covering niko from too much RT attention.

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting in that summer camp report where coach made the D play offense and the O play defense that Wilfork, as NT, was an analog for the QB offensively instead of playing center. If I were to over-interpret this, it would suggest that Vince is the play caller on defense or the guy in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back