PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's curious Capers caper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extremely high on Kenny Phillips, as I have been for years. I think he is worthy of a top 15 pick, though he certainly won't be.

One thing that would concern me about his addition is that he is more of a FS than a strong safety. The Pats D really relies on having someone like Rodney or Tank on the field, and I'm not sure Kenny or Meriweather can fill that void. They seemingly play the same position in our defensive scheme.

What's the problem though? Pats cover 3 dictates that they need a good coverage safety, they have that in Meriweather. They also need a good run support safety who can come up in the box, they have that in Harrison, Sanders or Tank.

We're doing just fine at the safety position. If they are thinking of moving Meriweather to CB - and I don't think they are - then they would want to think about drafting Phillips or another FS, as none of the Sanders, Harrison, Williams group has the speed to cover at that position.

Capers is not just a position coach, but a special assistant. That usually means he is in a consultation role as well as a position coach. I assume he has been brought in to revamp the defense and bring his agressive style.

I'm with you, though when I suggested this in another thread, it was met with a lot of protest from some posters. I think the Patriots had a very good defense last season, and it was one of the best in the league. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. As you said, defenses were down last season. Given the amazing offense we have, if BB could put together the type of dominating, stifling, terrorizing defense he had in the previous 3 SB runs, then he will have successfully created the Best Team Ever, and the team would be unstoppable. That is the goal isn't it?

Last edited:
Hard to say but we have slipped a notch since Mangini left ... I did not think we would, and it may be just coincidence ... but we have slipped in the area of being a bit soft on 3rd downs ... when we won our 3 SB's we were always tight on 3rd down.

Hard to say but we have slipped a notch since Mangini left ... I did not think we would, and it may be just coincidence ... but we have slipped in the area of being a bit soft on 3rd downs ... when we won our 3 SB's we were always tight on 3rd down.

Yeah, that 2005 D under Mangini was great. We really miss him.

I mean they were 26th in the NFL the only year he was DC and that ranking actually went way up after BB basically took the DC job over himself down the stretch.

Capers is a good coach. BB did not decide after 30 years of coaching defense every effectively in the NFL that his principles are wrong and he is going to adopt someone elses.
Capers will adapt to BB, not the other way around.
To suggest that things will change and we will abandon BBs defensive philosophy to adopt Capers' is ludicrous. You would have to conclude that BB decided one day that he knows nothing about defense and the guy who failed twice as a HC and some decent success as a coordinator knows more than him, and he has decided his defensive philosophies are stupid.
Not likely.

I think that's one of the greatest things about BB though--his ability to adapt what his style is to fit circumstances, whether that be league rules or personnel.

I never ever know when you're serious (hat tip to you!). If you are, I wonder if it's got something to do with the aging of the defense?

If you're not...same point, but who cares.

:D

We were the best defense in the NFL in 3rd down conversions in 2007.

I think the safeties are all big hitters and there are very few CBs that are known to "lay the wood". I think it is more of a teaching and technique issue. How many times did you see a Pats DB (Gay especially) dive to knock down a pass in the middle of the field and whiff? Quite a few I would wager. Instead, stay on your feet, take a better angle and put your shoulder pad on the receiver's hands. Doesn't have to be a de-cleater as long as the ball ends up in the air or on the ground.

Didn't see enough of that in 2007. It only leads to good things...tipped passes in the air, alligator arms later in the game, QB hesitation, etc. I think the draft will be the primary place where this aggression will be acquired. Webster/Sanders/Bryant are short-timers that allow the Pats to shop for CB value without reaching for need.

If the Pats draft killer speed on the outside (Gholston, Groves, etc.) and aggressive, risk-taking corners (Talib, Cason, etc.) then I think it is clear this is the direction the defense is going. If we see solid, productive inside linebackers and technically sound zone corners, then you can probably ignore every post I've made in the last couple of months (if you haven't already).
I wanted to bring up your comments now that (a) the draft is over and (b) we're starting to see Capers teaching the techniques that lead to tight coverage. Obviously you didn't mean 'technically sound corners' means corners that don't look for the turnover.

Wilhite is known to be a gambler. Wheatley had 14 interceptions. The Pats didn't have the opportunity to get Gholston (at least, not at any reasonable price), but I'd argue that they needed Mayo, regardless. No rush is quick enough if you can't cover the short middle.

I liked this thread at the time and now that the draft is over, I'd like to hear more reactions to what looks like a more aggressive direction for the defense.

IMO, this defense has never been the same since Bruschi came back from his stroke. While still effective at times and an important leader, he hasn't been able to create the same type of plays that he did after the last SB win. Combine this with Crennel leaving, the turnover in that spot and the various injuries to aging players, this years infusion of youth via the draft will help ignite a once proud defense with some new ideas and schemes from a guy known for his defensive prowess in Capers.

Last edited:
IMO, this defense has never been the same since Bruschi came back from his stroke. While still effective at times and an important leader, he hasn't been able to create the same type of plays that he did after the last SB win. Combine this with Crennel leaving, the turnover in that spot and the various injuries to aging players, this years infusion of youth via the draft will help ignite a once proud defense with some new ideas and schemes from a guy known for his defensive prowess in Capers.

It's odd how much we worried about dropoff but then we quickly dimissed it as the team seemingly rolled on. The playoffs are another level as we all know ... I think you're right on and perhaps Capers will be even better than Crennel.

It's odd how much we worried about dropoff but then we quickly dimissed it as the team seemingly rolled on. The playoffs are another level as we all know ... I think you're right on and perhaps Capers will be even better than Crennel.

It would be tough to be any better than Crennel(3SB in 4), but I'll take equal to, if not for one season.:D

I have a feeling that Capers was brought in to be a co-DC with Pees and handle a lot of those in game adjustments that Belichick seemed to handle himself last year. This will allow Belichick to be more involved with the offense and special teams during the game and not just the defense. I can't see that as a head coach that Belichick wants to be too focused on either side of the ball during the games and would rather manage the overall strategy and delegate a lot of the adjustment responsibilities. I think that is one of the biggest reasons Capers was brought in.

I completely agree.

Coaching difference might be the key in 2008's defense on our secondary. That and guys stepping up to make plays. Should be interesting to see how everything unwinds. Of course we'll probably start seeing some progress after week 3 or 4. GO PATS!!!!

Excellent topic and well commented in this thread, people. It's nice to have some really well thought out football speculation in this off season.

After seeing Eli threw 2 TDs in 16th and SB game at the corner, BB immediately brought in Capers. Why did it take too long for BB to bring Capers when Peyton Manning has known our 'corner problem' for years.? Of course, he shared it with his brother.

Perhaps, 'corner' position is not BB's specialty. I can see our D greatly improved in this season.

Capers has been a very successful coach up to the coordinator level. He was available for hire, quite possibly because he'd been fired in January. Only four vacancies opened at the head coach level this season, meaning there would be fewer moves with the lower coaches as well.

Is it possible that this is about more then getting a highly qualified coach at just the right time? Sure, but it's also possible that this was about Belichick seeing an opportunity to upgrade the defensive backs coach, and making some shifts to a more aggressive style of DB play.

Last edited:
Capers has been a very successful coach up to the coordinator level. He was available for hire, quite possibly because he'd been fired in January. Only four vacancies opened at the head coach level this season, meaning there would be fewer moves with the lower coaches as well.

Is it possible that this is about more then getting a highly qualified coach at just the right time? Sure, but it's also possible that this was about Belichick seeing an opportunity to upgrade the defensive backs coach, and making some shifts to a more aggressive style of DB play.

Also Capers is an interesting situation. Given his resume a weak HC might not want him under him. Is the owner of the Jets going to side with Eric or Dom if they have a dispute that gets to the owners level? I dunno, neither does Eric. BB doesn't have to worry about a coupe.

Also although I am sure Capers first choice is HC. He doesn't have a ring. He might have been willing to take less than a coordinators role to be part of a team that gives him a good shot at a ring.

After seeing Eli threw 2 TDs in 16th and SB game at the corner, BB immediately brought in Capers. Why did it take too long for BB to bring Capers when Peyton Manning has known our 'corner problem' for years.? Of course, he shared it with his brother.

Perhaps, 'corner' position is not BB's specialty. I can see our D greatly improved in this season.

Its also a good time to bring in DC since we got younger in the secondary and have a lot of bodies that could use some good coaching.

When Kraft decided to pick a head coach for his team, BB and Capers were the only 2 persons in his mind. He finally picked BB as a head coach. It was a smart move because the result speaks for itself.

We won 3 SB games because our 'corner' problem was not bad. We haven't won any SB game because of our corner problem. I'm glad that we have Capers in the team.

Caper is listed as an assistant coach. Does it mean that he is below BB and above other coaches / coordinators.?

I wanted to bring up your comments now that (a) the draft is over and (b) we're starting to see Capers teaching the techniques that lead to tight coverage. Obviously you didn't mean 'technically sound corners' means corners that don't look for the turnover.

Wilhite is known to be a gambler. Wheatley had 14 interceptions. The Pats didn't have the opportunity to get Gholston (at least, not at any reasonable price), but I'd argue that they needed Mayo, regardless. No rush is quick enough if you can't cover the short middle.

I liked this thread at the time and now that the draft is over, I'd like to hear more reactions to what looks like a more aggressive direction for the defense.

Right about the time I posted (3/20) it became clear that Gholston was on the rise and I figured the Pats wouldn't trade up to get him. That is when I started to get on the Mayo bandwagon...for the reason you mention. I didn't see it much in the games I watched, but some highlights showed that Mayo can bring pressure up the middle as well.

Wheatley is exactly the type of corner I was looking for. Dude has hips that allow his upper body and lower body to move independently like some freaky riverdance guy. If the Pats can coach up his natural skills, the kid could be very effective in a more aggressive scheme.

Crable also fits the bill for bringing pressure. I have questions about the consistency of some other aspects of his game, but he can be a real pain in the opposing backfield.

I've heard the same stuff you mentioned about Wilhite, but I'll reserve judgement until I see him in action. So you can say I was very pleased with the draft results.

Capers has always coached defenses that looked to create turnovers and didn't sweat the occasional big play. We'll have to see if that translates but I agree recent signs point to a more attacking defense in 2008. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes