PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BBs best attribute as a coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the best attribute is - in addition to all the obvious talents -
Compartmentalization & Putting the blinders - in other words focus.

Of course, a 3rd area is gameplanning, and I think he is the best at that, but I think these 2 areas are more important. The greatest schemes in the world don't work if you dont have players ready and able to execute them.

I think it's circular, though -- the players accept teaching and stay focused because they trust the coaches' football knowledge and gameplanning ability. You've heard Patriots players say that everybody buys in because they know that coaching staff is going to put them in position to win. They talk about their eagerness to get the gameplan and see what BB & co. have cooked up this week.

I say his best coaching attribute is preparation. He makes sure that his team goes into a gunfight with a gun...not a knife.

All of the above plus his consistency! As a parent, it's one of the most important characteristics that I try to maintain as a teacher and role model. IMO, it can't be overemphasized as a critical factor to leadership.
Exactly what I was thinking, whenever you hear the players (Bruschi said it just last week) talk they say the one thing you can count on is how BB approaches every player and every situation. They know where he's coming from and what he expects.

Absolutely his best attribute as a HC is his need to win- no matter what.

Take a few cheap shots at opposing players knees, cheat if you think it will give you the advantage... you know- that sort of stuff. :cool:

I attribute all his coaching ability to that hoodie. I fear for the Patriots if that hoodie ever lands in a enemy coaches hands. Fear the hoodie.

Thank you. :D

I admire BB's even keel. Never get too high or too low, make the best decision you can and don't look back. "It is what it is" may seem like a nothing statement but what it means is whining an moaning about the way things are doesn't help. You just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
his ability to listen to others in the team not afraid to make changes week to week is the biggest difference between us and all other teams . We are not a "We do what we do best" team. instead its always been "we do what we think is best " week to week -regardless of who he has in personnel. Imagine any other coach going to san diego last yr having brady throwing 50 times with gaffeny and caldwell with maroney and dillon in the backfield. i bet 30 other coaches wouldve run the ball 30 times for 40 yards and lost the game.

Last edited:
He puts his team in the best possible position to win every time out. As a player, that's all you really care about from a coach. Can he get the best out of the team, and is he working as hard as he possibly can to make the team successful?

To me BBs best attribute is his knowledge for the game. I don't think any other head coach comes close.

Not afraid to cheat to gain an advantage.

Your a troll and a jerk.

I hope you have enjoyed your last tow beat down at the hands of our coach - eat your heart out.

Too bad you wont even make the playoffs this year.

Attire.

Hands down.

Jonathan Kraft recently said that the most significant difference between BB and other coaches is the single mindedness on winning a championship, and that everything is subordinated to that. He hasn't ever seen that, in that way and to that intensity, in any other coach, including Parcells.

He also said that BB understands the salary cap and is constantly working it as a factor in all of his player personnel moves and plans, whereas Parcells never got the cap and would admit to that. He used the Lawyer Mlloy situation as an example: Parcells always wanted to be provided with the best players at every position, and didn't care about the cap. BB made the Milloy move because he cost much too much for the strong safety position, he was going to lose him in a year, and had Wilson coming in who "will be 70% as good this year, and 85% as good next."

He said Carroll is a wonderful guy and is in the right place as a college coach, but just couldn't make it work in a pro environment because he is so easy going and everybody's friend.

So it was stuff that I already suspected, but interesting to hear in no uncertain terms from the inside.

Without going too far into the post, I can tell you that losing to a team that finishes under .500 is like a rite of passage:

2003 - Buff/Wash
2004 - Miami
2006 - Miami

I didn't think about at 2005 and 2002 because it seems certain to have happened.

To me what ties this all together is organization--it was a memorable part of the Habelstram book on BB, his realization that organization was the key to success--it allows for focus, preparation, allowing for the unexpected. And that's what I see in all facets of the Pats since he's taken over. They have the same stuff that happens to all teams--injuries, coaches leaving, players not panning out the way you hope and/or expect. But in all instances there is such meticulous organization, they're ready for virtually anything that happens.

It's actually one of the few things I've tried to incorporate into my own life, which if funny, considering all of the blah blah blahing by other coaches about how to "win" or "be a champion." Like Pitino's "winning is a choice." Obviously it's not--but what IS a choice is organizing your life in such a way as to maximize your chances of success.

Good thread, by the way.

So much has been mentioned..but I wished to add a few more to all the many GREAT things coach BB has....
1---I think his roster management is superb!! Moving players in an dout of the roster and practice squad is really top notch. He has to plan for injuries at all positions and take into account all th emany injuries that the team has. THAt is not easy when many players are truly questionable. When an dhow to bring players in or out and kekeep all bases covered. His coaching in 05, when the injury bug hit and raged on all year, I truly believe he showed how great a coach he was by the way he managed the team through all the many injuries. (think of Coach Lewis...4 linebackers???...)
2---The ability to make changes from year to year in the offense an defense, so it will quite the same in many ways, but have enough new wrinkles, so that opposing teams can not look at films from one year an dplan for the next. (If one looks at the offense from year to year, one sees this quite strongly and who can not forget the year of the large safeties and teh conversion to 3-4.)
3----The ability to get players in time to in fact be almost their own coaches at times. I think when one looks at the vets on the field, one sees
'coaches" who guide and who help the younger players and manage the game from the field. (Who was it who said that on EEI years ago?? Was it Weiss???)

A great thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back