Welcome to PatsFans.com

BBC - Social Turmoil in France

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

"Almost half a million people have taken to the streets of France in a sixth national day of action against planned pension reforms, officials say.

President Nicolas Sarkozy appealed for calm but insisted he would press ahead with plans to raise the retirement age.

Strikes are disrupting travel and schools, a refinery blockade is hitting fuel supplies, and protesters and police have clashed in several cities.

The government wants to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62 and the full state pension age from 65 to 67."

BBC News - France hit by new wave of strikes over pension reforms

Raising the retirement age from 60 to 62?

OMG!!! :eek:

Those poor people are so deprived! Thank God we're not like the French!
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Ahh, but we want to be.

Too bad the Europeans forgot to have children. It is strange that the upshot of all the "family-friendly" policies in the social democratic states is that there are no families. They have inverted family trees. The EU fertility rate is 1.47 children per woman. Of course, they can always try to make up the difference with massive immigration. France has already tried this to some extent, with disappointing results. The unemployment rate in the banlieues is 20-25%.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

You were kidding about Americans wanting to be like the French, right?

We've raised the age of Social Security eligibilty and I've never seen protests over it, have you? I think when Americans think of retiring early, they think in terms of "How can I do it?" and not "How is my gov't going to do this for me?"

Big difference.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I was thinking about those that admire the "European model" in general. We are definitely way ahead of them in terms of realizing that people live into their 80's now.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +212 / 3 / -10

I have much disdain for the European model and for the French in particular.