BB: "Where we're at now won't be good enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From BB on Dale & Holley:

“I thought we had a good opportunity to get caught up on a couple of things last week in meetings and in practice. I think the main thing we understand is that we have a long way to go. We have a lot of football left and we’€™re going to have to keep working hard and keep improving. Where we’€™re at now won’€™t be good enough.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-on-dh-where-were-at-now-wont-be-good-enough/

Nothing surprising, but just another example of why BB is so good. No team is better at self-scouting than the Pats, and no one buys less into the hype than BB.

I look forward to seeing this team get better.

In the same vein, from Tedy Bruschi's chat today:

Suluuq_the_eskimo, Kotzebue Alaska [via mobile]:Any chance Randy Moss returns to the Patriots? He said a few days ago he is interested in a comeback. He catches Brady's spirals like magic. Sweet stuff.

Tedy: As they say on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown, "Come on, man!"

gagan (boston): tedy, does it ever happens that bill belichick adresses his team and talks about the playoff implications that a game like indy could have going further on. i mean how does the coaching staff approaches this kind of a week. Any differences compare to the other games.

Tedy: Gagan, please see the answer to Suluq the Eskimo's question. LOL.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/51330

Self-scout, focus on getting better, focus on the next game. The rest will take care of itself.

They HAVE to get better with penalties...a must if they want to go far

They HAVE to get better with penalties...a must if they want to go far
Why?

League rank in penalties - team - # of penalties - penalty yards

Since 2009 the SB winner and loser with respect to penalties

#1 – Seattle 152 1,415

#2 – Denver 132 1,128

#1 – Baltimore 145 1,335

#3 – San Fran 126 1,103

#6 – Giants 117 982

#25 – Pats 95 868

#16 Green Bay 99 804

#5 Pittsburg 119 1,076

#10 – Saints 107 938

#28 – Colts 84 621

Would seem over the last 5 years that the SB winner, other than in 2010, has come from the Top 10 penalized teams in the league. And of the last 10 participants in the SB, 7 of the 10 have been Top 10 penalized teams. So not sure that I agree with the simple premise that they need to clean up their penalties. Perhaps we need to understand what penalties are being committed (i.e.: false starts versus Browner beating up a WR) bottom line are they stupid versus aggressive attitude penalties? The former need to be reduced the later we can live with as they set the tone of the game.

Oh good! Another thread on why BB is such a great coach. Can't have too many of them. No, really!

BB is like your folks. You can too easily take their good things for granted and let their little weaknesses drive you nuts. But nine times out of ten he's right. And when he's wrong he's absolutely the first person to admit it. You can't ask for more.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...n-daly-drawing-rave-reviews-with-patriots.ece

I don't think this article has had its own thread, but it deserves it. Tells us about the new D-line coach, Brendan Daly. It's unusual for BB to bring in new coaches from outside the organization, rather than promoting from within, but last off-season both Daly and DeGuglielmo came in. Obviously DeG has had a lot of attention (and heat). But this is the first article I've read about Daly. And a very good one it is too.

The really revealing bit is how Belichick responds to him and how he adjusts to the Patriots:

The biggest surprise for Daly since he’s come to Foxboro is that, despite the years of success, the Patriots and their coaching staff are always evolving.

Daly wasn’t expected to come to New England and do things the Patriots’ way.

“There’s an open-mindedness here as well. It’s not just, ‘This is what we do. This is why we do it because we’ve always done it this way,’” Daly said. “That’s probably been the most interesting piece for me.”

“[He] brings a perspective to our staff that’s a little bit different,” Belichick added. “It isn’t like he’s spent all his time here, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all. I think in a way, in this case, it’s a really good thing. He’s sharp, he works hard, he’s great to work with. I’m glad he’s on our staff. I think he’s done a real good job for us.”
It's an incredible, really unusual skill for a leader to be able to bring someone into a successful organization and not just slot them in to what has been done before but use them to bring new ideas and approaches. And that's because BB, while he is obsessed with coaching, doesn't let his ego get in the way of success.

So here we are, hopeful about the prospects for yet another successful season. #patriotsfansarespoiled

The former need to be reduced the later we can live with as they set the tone of the game.
Bingo. As long as they are clean plays, a heavy-duty,bone crushing hit on a receiver is an absolute tone setter. Running backs too.

Why?

League rank in penalties - team - # of penalties - penalty yards

Since 2009 the SB winner and loser with respect to penalties

#1 – Seattle 152 1,415

#2 – Denver 132 1,128

#1 – Baltimore 145 1,335

#3 – San Fran 126 1,103

#6 – Giants 117 982

#25 – Pats 95 868

#16 Green Bay 99 804

#5 Pittsburg 119 1,076

#10 – Saints 107 938

#28 – Colts 84 621

Would seem over the last 5 years that the SB winner, other than in 2010, has come from the Top 10 penalized teams in the league. And of the last 10 participants in the SB, 7 of the 10 have been Top 10 penalized teams. So not sure that I agree with the simple premise that they need to clean up their penalties. Perhaps we need to understand what penalties are being committed (i.e.: false starts versus Browner beating up a WR) bottom line are they stupid versus aggressive attitude penalties? The former need to be reduced the later we can live with as they set the tone of the game.

Cutting down on stupid penalties is always good. But to some extent, there is a correlation between physical play and penalties. The Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks and 49ers are all very physical and aggressive teams. I'll personally give up some penalties for that kind of attitude and physicality.

Cutting down on stupid penalties is always good. But to some extent, there is a correlation between physical play and penalties. The Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks and 49ers are all very physical and aggressive teams. I'll personally give up some penalties for that kind of attitude and physicality.

I think the hope is that in the playoffs when the refs put the flags away the physical play is more beneficial.

It worked for the Seahawks and ravens...now hopefully the patriots

I think the hope is that in the playoffs when the refs put the flags away the physical play is more beneficial.

This. I'm a firm believer that the zebras let a little more physicality go in the playoffs as opposed o the regular season.

Love how BB is never satisfied. On the flip side, Jets were dumping Gatorade for an 8-8 season lol.

This. I'm a firm believer that the zebras let a little more physicality go in the playoffs as opposed o the regular season.

I agree with you, I think they can absolutely continue their aggressive secondary coverage. I'd like to see them clean up some of the dumb/lazy penalties, though. 17 false starts (league average: 9.7), 12 offensive holding penalties (league average 10.44), 4 face masks (league average: 1.4). I don't think it's a make-or-break thing, and I'm fine with the occassional D holding/PI call as long as the secondary keeps performing, but some of these other penalties aren't reflective of a mindset and are instead just lazy and counter-productive.

Oh good! Another thread on why BB is such a great coach. Can't have too many of them. No, really!

BB is like your folks. You can too easily take their good things for granted and let their little weaknesses drive you nuts. But nine times out of ten he's right. And when he's wrong he's absolutely the first person to admit it. You can't ask for more.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...n-daly-drawing-rave-reviews-with-patriots.ece

I don't think this article has had its own thread, but it deserves it. Tells us about the new D-line coach, Brendan Daly. It's unusual for BB to bring in new coaches from outside the organization, rather than promoting from within, but last off-season both Daly and DeGuglielmo came in. Obviously DeG has had a lot of attention (and heat). But this is the first article I've read about Daly. And a very good one it is too.

The really revealing bit is how Belichick responds to him and how he adjusts to the Patriots:

The biggest surprise for Daly since he’s come to Foxboro is that, despite the years of success, the Patriots and their coaching staff are always evolving.

“There’s an open-mindedness here as well. It’s not just, ‘This is what we do. This is why we do it because we’ve always done it this way,’” Daly said. “That’s probably been the most interesting piece for me.”

“[He] brings a perspective to our staff that’s a little bit different,” Belichick added. “It isn’t like he’s spent all his time here, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing at all. I think in a way, in this case, it’s a really good thing. He’s sharp, he works hard, he’s great to work with. I’m glad he’s on our staff. I think he’s done a real good job for us.”
It's an incredible, really unusual skill for a leader to be able to bring someone into a successful organization and not just slot them in to what has been done before but use them to bring new ideas and approaches. And that's because BB, while he is obsessed with coaching, doesn't let his ego get in the way of success.

So here we are, hopeful about the prospects for yet another successful season. #patriotsfansarespoiled

I think the most inane and annoying criticisms 'fans' around here have, are when they make comments such as "BB made a bad decision because he wants to prove how smart he is".
Belichick is about one thing. Winning. This article is another example that despite what the entitled want to crow about when they see something less than perfect, BB has no ego when it comes to getting the job done.

I think the most inane and annoying criticisms 'fans' around here have, are when they make comments such as "BB made a bad decision because he wants to prove how smart he is".
Belichick is about one thing. Winning. This article is another example that despite what the entitled want to crow about when they see something less than perfect, BB has no ego when it comes to getting the job done.

Revis said a similar thing in training camp, but both will be ignored because it doesn't fit the agenda. People don't understand or don't agree with BB's moves, and rather than try to figure it out they just assume, "Bah, he's arrogant," and ignore everything else.

Love how BB is never satisfied. On the flip side, Jets were dumping Gatorade for an 8-8 season lol.

The Jets suck, I know -- I've said it time and again in the Jets Suck thread. But just this once I'll come to their defence.

The last game of their season was against the Dolphins, who had a chance at the playoffs. The Jets had nothing whatsoever to play for. Yet they came out as if it was a playoff game and played with huge passion. If you had to guess which team's season was dead, it would have been Miami. Sure, it's the Jets, so the celebrations were childish, classless, embarrassing. But any team that plays like that from sheer pride deserves some credit.

Belichick isn't just a student of the game, he is also a student of coaching, and is always trying to improve himself and the abilities of those under him.

Belichick isn't just a student of the game, he is also a student of coaching, and is always trying to improve himself and the abilities of those under him.

Most definitely. He's not a "players' coach". He's a coaches' coach.

I disagree. All they need to do is play as well as they played last game.

BB will never say that though. It was not perfect and not their best game possible but if they string together 3 games like that in the playoffs they are gonna win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back