PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB very high on Pierre Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you. If he was that good and wasn't hurt, why didn't he play more? I think that's a fair statement.

We don't know what the thinking was as to why he didn't play more, so it is all speculation. It is possible that they see a lot of potential in Woods (who can't with his athletic ability) and felt he wasn't ready to be a full or part time contributor on defense last season. They witness his progression in person, nearly every day, so maybe he is now putting it together mentally and using the technique the coaches would like to see.

We, the outsiders, have no idea, but pointing to last year and saying they obviously don't feel up on him doesn't look at the situation as a progression. Players aren't really static, most are either improving or losing ability.

That being said, Woods is only now entering his third year on the team. I wouldn't realistically hope for anything more than a solid rotational player from him right now and that may be all he is capable of.

We, the outsiders, have no idea, but pointing to last year and saying they obviously don't feel up on him doesn't look at the situation as a progression. Players aren't really static, most are either improving or losing ability.

Football is not like baseball where the team will run out their B-squad for a couple of games a season. Since there are only 16 games, you have to put the best players out on the field at least initially.

I remember an interview a BB interview a while back when a reporter asked why a certain player didn't play. BB said basically "We put the best players out on the field to try and win the game". When the reporter pressed him on it, he said exactly the same thing. Like I said, if Woods was that good, he'd see more playing time.

Football is not like baseball where the team will run out their B-squad for a couple of games a season. Since there are only 16 games, you have to put the best players out on the field at least initially.

I remember an interview a BB interview a while back when a reporter asked why a certain player didn't play. BB said basically "We put the best players out on the field to try and win the game". When the reporter pressed him on it, he said exactly the same thing. Like I said, if Woods was that good, he'd see more playing time.

All Woods not seeing more playing time last year means is... he wasn't good enough to see playing time last year. He obviously wasn't one of the best players to put on the field last year, but that doesn't mean he won't or can't be the best player this year. That's especially true when you're talking about a young player with lots of potential who didn't play much his senior year of college.

All Woods not seeing more playing time last year means is... he wasn't good enough to see playing time last year. He obviously wasn't one of the best players to put on the field last year, but that doesn't mean he won't or can't be the best player this year. That's especially true when you're talking about a young player with lots of potential who didn't play much his senior year of college.

Exactly. I don't think BB means Woods is a starter ready to go, but maybe he is coming along? Look, Woods was an UDFA, maybe BB just sees a project in the kid, or maybe he just think he's a solid special teamer. Honestly we have no idea. That said, I damn sure wouldn't suddenly expect big things from the guy. BB praising the dude ranges anywhere form maybe being a possible contributor to being a good special teams player/hard worker.

There was a reason why all players are picked.

They all have certain upside potential.

It is up to the players to seperate themselves and rise above the rest of the pack.

It will be interesting how all this unfolds.

I think BB/SP addressed the lb and cb in a good way.

I thought they should have looked more at the oline, but, maybe they will pick up free agents for competition.

I'd take everything he says publicly about guys on the team with a grain of salt and pay more attention to who he puts on the field.

Can anyone remember BB not being high on a player publicly? I rememebr him at a press conference talking about Rohan Davey so highly you'd think he was taking over for Brady. It was a couple hours after they had cut Davey.

Woods has been a good ST player but did not see the field that much in ther regular D after Colvin went down. They essentially wnet with 4 LBs the rest of the way. That probably speaks more to how high they are on him than what BB says to the press.

Absolutely correct. People are reading into BB's comments re: Woods way too much. It's certainly possible he likes him a LOT and that it's taking time for Pierre to make the transition, but I watched that P.C. and Belichick said nothing worth getting jacked about.

Don't get us wrong, I'm sure we all hope the OP is correct, but I think some of you need to take a breath.

If Woods is so dam good why didn't he hold onto that fumble in the SB????

(it was Woods, wasn't it??)

Yes it was. He stays on top of the ball instead of letting a running back yank it out from under his chest and Pats win. I'll bet he has nightmares over that play.

i agree with other people. if woods is so good how come he couldn't come in at the end to rush the passer when AD was sucking air

i agree with other people. if woods is so good how come he couldn't come in at the end to rush the passer when AD was sucking air

AD was a beast that final drive so I have no idea what you are talking about.

AD was a beast that final drive so I have no idea what you are talking about.

AD was sucking wind on those last three plays. A fresh Woods could have gotten there possibly a split second earlier. go back and look at the film and look at AD's face. he's hyper ventilating.

AD was sucking wind on those last three plays. A fresh Woods could have gotten there possibly a split second earlier. go back and look at the film and look at AD's face. he's hyper ventilating.

In AD's defense, he was getting steady pressure on Manning consistently. He was flushing him out, but Vrabel on the other end was just flat-out gassed and didn't produce that game at all.

Woods has similar size as colvin and as i do not see a OLB with a lot of experience i see our game LB 1 will

Hobson Tedy/Seau
AD Vrabel

Backed up ILB - Mayo , ERIC and Slaughter [makes it through camp]

OLB - WOODS , Crabel - woods is the only player with some experience and size to be on the outside who can be rotation right now.

I'd take everything he says publicly about guys on the team with a grain of salt and pay more attention to who he puts on the field.

Hard to argue with that. But since I'm now heading into my 3rd year as a charter member of the Pierre Woods Bongo Club, I might as well toss out that:

- Woods was changing position and was raw to start with
- He has the rare prototype frame and athleticism of a 3-4 OLB
- He's a hard worker who made the team as a UDFA and attacked special teams

No, he's unlikely to wake up one morning and find himself the next Demarcus Ware. But it's not unreasonable to imagine he can help out the OLB rotation this year.

BB was ready to draft Crable at the top of the 3rd rd and said the player Crable most compares to is Pierre Woods. When BB drafts a player at the top of the 3rd rd, he wants that player to eventually develop into a starter. If BB expects Crable to eventually develop into a starter, and believes he most compares to Pierre Woods, than logic suggests he also expects Pierre Woods to be a regular contributor at OLB.

Combine that with how defensive BB became describing Woods' college career, and how he labeled Woods one of the best players in the country, and how Patriot Scouts told Crable at the Senior Bowl "if we draft you, your job will be to follow Pierre Woods around", and how Pierre Woods won an off season award with the team last season, and how AD said Pierre Woods is the most athletic guy on the team...

Pierre Woods is going to be a regular contributor in the OLB rotation. The only players we have on the roster with any experience are AD, Vrabel, Woods and Hobson, and Hobson is 6'' tall.

Unless the Pats somehow get Jason Taylor, I expect Woods to see alot of action right away. As far as fans who have no patience for Woods...

It's strange how impatient some Patriot fans get with young talent. If a kid doesn't impress them immediately they "harden their hearts" against the guy, and there's no convincing them otherwise.

Yes it was. He stays on top of the ball instead of letting a running back yank it out from under his chest and Pats win. I'll bet he has nightmares over that play.

Indeed. It was one of the single worst plays I've seen a Patriot make in a LONG time. :(

Indeed. It was one of the single worst plays I've seen a Patriot make in a LONG time. :(

Come on - he's young and he'll learn. The very fact Woods and Merriweather got a fiar few snaps in the SB tells me BB is willing to give them more time this year

I for one would like to see our defensive starters sit down more if we get 2 or 3 scores up like last year .. with a weak schedule then if that happens the Woods, Mayo's, Wheatley's etc should see more game time than in a struggling team - at least I hope thats how it plays out as Vrabel was looking beat towards the end of the year

It's strange how impatient some Patriot fans get with young talent. If a kid doesn't impress them immediately they "harden their hearts" against the guy, and there's no convincing them otherwise.

Is there somewhere on this thread where anyone said they hope Woods doesn't develop?

Woods was not ready to contribute in the OLB rotation last year. If you watched how Vrabel wore down as the year went on, it was obvious the Pats could have used another guy at that spot to spell him. I'm not going to assume he will be ready this year because BB praised him to the media. My recollection is BB has not said a single negative word publicly about any player in his Pats tenure. He'll praise individuals endlessly (even non performers like Duane Starks) but always criticizes publicly as "we."

Hopefully Woods develops enough to be able to contribute on D this year. If he doesn't, he remains a valued memeber of the special teams.

I'm not sure why some think taking a wait and see attitude with him or a guy like Patsfans.com most popular player Chad Jackson is the wrong way to go?

Last edited:
He is a RFA so he is worth anything they will extend him by this year.

Well, one thing seems certain: the LB battles will be intense because jobs are on the line with the free agent signings and the draft picks.

Woods
Alexander
Bruschi
Thomas
Vrabel
Mayo
Slaughter
Crable
Hobson
Seau (assuming he's brought back)
Izzo (in big trouble if Slater makes the team)

The 'loss' of Brown and Stallworth may open up a couple of spots, but there's also a backlog in the defensive backfield. Training camp could get very, very heated.

And competition is a good thing. I expect the Pats to keep 8 LBs out of that group + Izzo. Izzo isn't really a LB, he's a ST ace, let's keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes