PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB: Troy Brown in plans for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe as you will. With about 3:30 left in the game, we had the ball 3rd and 11. The game was tied. My personal belief is that in the past, Tom Brady, the best clutch QB in the history of football, would have tried to win the game by trying to get a first down. Troy Brown would have been a very likely receiver. This year, Brady ran the ball to set up a field goal (not even trying for a first down). Manning and the colts were given the ball against our defense which had been on the field all day, and were on the sidelines receiving oxygen, and and getting their cramped bodies massaged. It was utterly unbelievable that Brady and Josh expected the defense to come out and hold Manning. Brady's lack of faith (and Josh's) in the offense had never been so low.

The issue is not whether Brown has been a great player for the patriots or not. The issue for this board, as it was when Coates wasn't signed, seems to be how much we like Troy Brown. We have talked so much about how right it is to let a player loose a year before he is not productive. That is, we talk about that AFTER bb makes the decision, since he is always right. Before the fact, our players are always expected to be great in their next year, and we would be horrified if they ddn't stay.

Believe as you wish with regard to Gaffney. My position is that he was critical to us being one first down away from the Super Bowl. But in the end, that isn't the issue. I'm fine with a brand new wide receiver corps, with or without Gaffney. Our wide receiver corps for the future will hopefully be Stallworth, Welker and Jackson, perhaps plus some help from Washington or Caldwell or Gaffney or a from a 2007 draftee or from a 2008 draftee or free agent.

I agree that if Brown is brought into camp, he will have a roster spot. And as I said above, he won't be the 5th WR. He'll be a STer.

The season ended with Brady trying to get the ball to Troy Brown. Brown is Brady's most comfortable target and was still able to produce 43 catches last season. Brown is, even at this point in his career, a better receiver than Gaffney. He has the two most important qualities that a receiver can have, he can get open, and he catches the ball. I could easily take Brown over Gaffney or Washington, who both have to prove a lot during training camp to even make the team.

If the Pats sign Brown now he is a lock for the opening day roster. It would take Washington and Gaffney having monstrous camps and tearing it up (which they have never done in their careers) for them to overcome Brown.

Last edited:
Right on, mg. IMO, if Washington shows anything, he's in. If his hammie acts up, it's Gaffney. The battle is for best blocking WR. Both will be better than Caldwell. Stallworth and Jackson should be 1a and 1b. Welker in the slot, Troy and a rookie should fill out the roster. Caldwell's tendency to freeze under pressure won't be overlooked unless someone else shows chinks in their game.

Hmm, keeping 7 does seem like a lot. Like you said, Washington's eagerness to play ST, combined with Troy's ability to fill multiple roles makes keeping 6 WRs no problem.

Stallworth, Welker and Caldwell are locks. Jackson is a lock in the sense that he will either be on the roster or on the PUP/IR depending on the severity of his injury. Brown is seemingly a lock in BB's opinion. That leaves Washington & Gaffney fighting for that 6th spot...Don't particularly want to see either of those guys go, as Gaffney has already proven to be a solid addition and Washington HOPEFULLY will do likewise.

Troy Brown is no longer a WR. He is a football player. They will keep 6 WRs AND they will keep Troy Brown.

LOL

I just said in another Troy Brown thread that they are all just doing the off season it's a business Troy Brown dance circa 2007. Troy says he wants to play, hopes to play here, wants more than a crumb for his services. Bill counters with a we love Troy on this team type statement.

Bingo. :D

Also in another thread, spacecrime projects
signing Troy for the vet min ($830,000) ... giving him both a physical rest and real cash
and the team a break under the sal cap;
putting him on PUP, since he doesn't need the reps but can attend all the meetings;
letting the younger WRs we now flaunt in abundance play the first half of the season ...
and incur their inevitable injuries;
THEN activate Troy for the stretch run and playoffs,
when we might have him pinchhit in the secondary, as well.

Sounds good to me.

Troy Brown is no longer a WR. He is a football player. They will keep 6 WRs AND they will keep Troy Brown.

Right on Brother. If Brown does not rip the ball out vs. the Chargers the Patriots don't even play the Colts.

So what position(s) will he play?

Every one of them?

Maybe he will try to break a record or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back