PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB the first with 4RBs - now 6WRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that we disagree.

However, let's be clear.

I don't think that we should carry 5 running backs. The only time that would make any sense is if the 5th were on the team as a kick returner rather than a running back (the failed attempt at Washington last year or even Demps the year before).

With regard to this year, I would expect to carry 3-4 RB's. My preference is 4 since I really don't want to count on a rookie as the first player off the bench. Also, with both Ridley and Vereen on their contract years, a 4th running back would provide some insurance.

As an aside, I don't that anyone has suggested keeping 5 running backs PLUS a fullback. I mention this since one of the objections to 5 RB's is often the issue of using up needed roster spots.

No, it is a different position.

I dont think this is correct. We kept 5 RBs in 2009, then 4 and a FB last year. In between the only time we kept 5 was 2011 when Faulk was on the roster but coming back from injury.

We won't keep Brandon Bolden because of the contract status of Ridley and Vereen. In other words fear of having to rebuild the position next year won't be assuaged by having Brandon Bolden on the roster.

That said, given that if we keep only 3 either Bolden or a rookie would be a heartbeat away from an important role definitely would make me want to keep both. But given that we may have 2 on the pracitce squad keeping only 3 is a possibility.

Last edited:
BB didn't necessarily re-invent the wheel here, but when Brady came in and he started having him throw those quick outs to Troy Brown that was something I never saw with Bledsoe, or around the league for that matter. Get the ball into a playmakers hands was the idea.

:)

Bledsoe COULDN'T throw that pass with any touch whatsoever. I attended that training camp...still have notes scribbled from the daily offensive drills. BB realized Brown's skill set was perfect for the short curls and sidelines and an effective way to move the ball downfield. If you remember the Rams Super Bowl, no one in the country thought Brady had a chance in Hades of doing ANYTHING on that final possession. No one , that is, except the Patriot fans that had seen him do exactly that game after game leading up to the Bowl. The amazing thing was the Rams GAVE the pitch and catch to the Patriots as if they never even broke down the Pats offense.

We also have two special teamers that nominally are Wide Receivers. Yes, yes, Julian Edelman is a decent WR, but slot WR are a dime a dozen and Punt Returners are, well, not gold, maybe copper or something. The other is Slater who is apparently a good blocker but not a great WR. That would mean 4 are real WRs (not counting Julian "Break glass in case of emergency" Edelman.)

Slot receivers also tend to break - nothing personal just when the 190 pound guy gets hit repeatedly by the 240 pound guy it tends to add up. The "extra" players will be used. Heck we might be calling CFLers and/or guys we cut before all is done.

Depth is not only on your roster anymore. A good GM in season (the coach is busy) is important.
Hey MMasterkillah,

I see you disagreed with the idea that depth can be found in the CFL, or maybe that Edelman is good Punt Returner. Maybe it was the bit about Slater. There is much you can disagree with.

You see, I don't know what you disagreed with because like the cowardly little turd who is white (according to his picture) but calls himself MMasterkillah, you did not post.

I think that Bill's being given a bit too much credit for attempting to do - and not always succeeding - what 31 other teams also do.

I think that Bill's being given a bit too much credit for attempting to do - and not always succeeding - what 31 other teams also do.
I suppose that's true and I would be guilty as charged for blatent homerism sometimes. But we're better than everyone else, just ask me.:D

I heartedly concur with your observations.

BB recognized early that with the CAP, it would not extend to a team of All-Pros. It was almost hysterical to see other coaches try to square the circle, or find the appropriate combinations of Superstar positions, thta were affordable, that would work. They all failed.

BB found that 47-60 merely competent or good players all around, would "out endure" those "loaded" teams of 10 superstars and the balance of the roster affordable scrubs, in a possible 19 game season.

It works too, even with an extraordinary number of IRed stars as occurred last season.

BB also got burned bad in 2005 when he caused one of the best RBs ever (IMO) to shorten his career because he didn't have the bare minimum of backups available.

Check my memory, but when Faulk and Dillon went down and Zeroue didn't pan out, they were forced to play Dillon injured, because he wouldn't refuse, effectively ending his career a year or two early by playing the season on one leg.

He played again, but he was a shadow of his former self. One of my least favorite decisions by BB and one that probably kept Corey out of the Hall of Fame.

Bledsoe COULDN'T throw that pass with any touch whatsoever. I attended that training camp...still have notes scribbled from the daily offensive drills. BB realized Brown's skill set was perfect for the short curls and sidelines and an effective way to move the ball downfield. If you remember the Rams Super Bowl, no one in the country thought Brady had a chance in Hades of doing ANYTHING on that final possession. No one , that is, except the Patriot fans that had seen him do exactly that game after game leading up to the Bowl. The amazing thing was the Rams GAVE the pitch and catch to the Patriots as if they never even broke down the Pats offense.
In essence it was a hike the ball and a 1 step drop. I remember thinking "what the hell are we doing?". Then Troy would get a block and gain 3 or 4. After I watched it a couple times I realized it was less wear and tear all the way around and Brown rarely took a solid, rattling hit like a RB would take and the OL didn't get beat up either.

Screen plays have been around forever, but back in the 1st part of the millennium Brady and BB took it to a different level we hadn't seen before. The great 49ers teams with Walsh definitely utilized it, but not with the consistency as our "B&B" boys did (my favorite after dinner desert drink, BTW). The problem with today's NFL backs is the medical staff. Any little quirk and your out. Period. You're insured up the wahzoo and the league brass is terrified of any implication they don't take care of their guys, leaving them open to suit.

In the real world I work with steel as a machinist. Think taking a hit from hit from a 250 lb. LB can hurt? Try having a 1600 LB I-beam roll on ya. You don't get guaranteed **** but workman's comp. Man up and get back to work to feed your family. I have no sympathy for these (excuse the French) ****ies. The reason we have to carry this many RB''s and WR's is because of the money they can sit back on and tweet and screw off while being "PUP'ed" or "IR'ed".

I think for the most part our NE guys take the the lunchpail approach and it's an admirable trait for this area. I guess that's what I've always found so attractive about this team. Get healthy and get on the field boys. 10+ wins every year is a result of guts and determination. It's not 53 guys and 53 cabs. I'm proud we have a HC that exudes that type of attitude. I'm sure Steve Belichick passed as a proud father.

That little quick swing pass is one play where I think execution has gone down over the years, perhaps due to lack of emphasis and practice. But if Edelman and Amendola are likely to be on the field at the same time anyway, why not bring it back, at least against teams with strong DTs?

My memory is similar to yours. We used to try everything to manufacture plays in running situation. The quick our was a solution to our lack of an effective running game.

BB also got burned bad in 2005 when he caused one of the best RBs ever (IMO) to shorten his career because he didn't have the bare minimum of backups available.

Check my memory, but when Faulk and Dillon went down and Zeroue didn't pan out, they were forced to play Dillon injured, because he wouldn't refuse, effectively ending his career a year or two early by playing the season on one leg.

He played again, but he was a shadow of his former self. One of my least favorite decisions by BB and one that probably kept Corey out of the Hall of Fame.

Yes, Dillon could have retired and been much more likely to be in the HOF. I don't see this as Belichick's terrible decision. Should Belichick really have simply cut him when Corey want to play, and wanted to play for the patriots? Both Bill and Corey understood the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back