PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB summoned to NFL office in New York [Team denies rumor]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB summoned to NFL office in new york . . . [Team denies rumor]

Goodell's been doing a fine job. Everyone here thought so when he booted Pacman and Chris Henry. Now because it's the Pats, he's inept.

What should he do, ignore that the Pats may have broken a rule so conspiracy theorists can relax? Maybe he should have let Rodney off for the same reason, wouldn't want us thinking he was picking on us.

Do the crime, do the time. I have no problem with what the Pats did, but they got caught and now they deserve what's coming to them. This is a scandal of their own creation.

Shouldn't the word "allegedly" be in there somewhere?

Goodell's been doing a fine job. Everyone here thought so when he booted Pacman and Chris Henry. Now because it's the Pats, he's inept.

What should he do, ignore that the Pats may have broken a rule so conspiracy theorists can relax? Maybe he should have let Rodney off for the same reason, wouldn't want us thinking he was picking on us.

Do the crime, do the time. I have no problem with what the Pats did, but they got caught and now they deserve what's coming to them. This is a scandal of their own creation.

Glad you can read minds.

This is a trend with this new Commish and if you can't see it, you're blind. EVERYTHING has been overblown since he came onboard. They won't fire him now admist the scandal, but he's gone by 2010.

EDIT: To further refine my thinking, he's playing this all like a politican. The man is not running for public office, he's elected by the owners. The NFL is "private"ly owned. Most businesses share their balance sheets & income statements, but keep the inner workings quiet. Run the NFL like a business not like a political party!

Last edited:

Shouldn't the word "allegedly" be in there somewhere?
I said "may have broken the rules".

This is a trend with this new Commish and if you can't see it, you're blind. EVERYTHING has been overblown since he came onboard. They won't fire him now admist the scandal, but he's gone by 2010.

I don't see how anything has been overblown. Belichick's not going to NY. All the league has said so far is that they're investigating. That's it. The league has handled it fine.

I don't see how anything has been overblown. Belichick's not going to NY. All the league has said so far is that they're investigating. That's it. The league has handled it fine.

The "league" should never have let the story hit. Now its got national press.

Glad you can read minds.

He's been loud on purpose, he wants players to get the message. What's the harm in what he's done? Fans support the way he treats other teams' players, he's certainly not costing the league revenue. He could ignore things like Tags did, but he's actually going about it the right way.

Re: BB summoned to NFL office in new york . . .

Whatever the accusations, the response to this has been posted. The Commissioner wants to know what Belichick knew and when he knew it.

So why is he going? To be yelled at? Are they still conducting the investigation and want to ask him questions?

If they have a team punishment ready, then I don't see why they would need to deliver that to Belichick personally.

Stacey James, from Tomase:

Patriots spokesman Stacey James just denied reports that Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has been summoned to New York to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell.

“It’s not true,” James said. “He’s here.”

Asked if that meant Belichick wouldn’t be summoned at all, James said he didn’t think so.

“You’ll have to talk to the league on that,” James said. “He hasn’t been called in and I don’t anticipate that he will be.”

League spokesman Greg Aiello did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Here's what PFT is saying on their site:

POSTED 4:05 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

BELICHICK SUMMONED TO NEW YORK?

WVCB in Boston reports that Pats coach Bill Belichick has been summoned to New York by Commissioner Roger Goodell to answer questions regarding allegations that the Patriots were stealing defensive signals on Sunday against the Jets.

WEEI in Boston reports that the Patriots deny the WVCB report.

Either way, this issue is generating all sorts of buzz in league and media circles. Though it could be driven by the perception that the Patriots are the top organization in the league and the other 31 franchises would love to seem them take a fall, there's just too much smoke on this one to disregard it.

Still, we doubt that the Pats are the only team stealing signals, if the final decision is that they are or have been. Multiple readers have told us that the Eagles were taking great pains to shield their own defensive signals from prying eyes against the Packers, which suggests that this could be a fairly common thing.

He's been loud on purpose, he wants players to get the message. What's the harm in what he's done? Fans support the way he treats other teams' players, he's certainly not costing the league revenue. He could ignore things like Tags did, but he's actually going about it the right way.

Right way for whom? For the shareholders (the owners) or his own ego?

His first priority, in my mind, would be to protect the integrity of the sport. Which I think he's going about in the completely wrong way by taking the avenue of holding figurative gallows in the town square.

Glad you can read minds.

:ditto:

I could tell there were going to be problems when Goodell did his first interview which was with Michaels and Madden in the first game of last season. He mumbled and was distinctly unimpressive during the interview. Sure enough at his first draft, he can't get the timing right with the names and he mispronounces half of them. Tags was smooth and he didn't crave media attention for being an iron-fisted dictator.

The story already hit by the time they made a statement, you can thank the Jets for that.

In any case, they did stop a Patriots employee with a camera and they did confiscate a tape. Now it could turn out that he was doing something 100% innocent, but in the real world we'd say that the league now has probable cause, and that's enough reason to make a statement.

EXACTLY. He's trying to be consistent and fair and this league has been left a MESS (mainly the player stuff, gun-play, dog-fighting, etc...)

He's been an ass, and I just hope that the players' union sacks up and tells him to take a hike.

What do you mean? The story became national because it has to do with the Patriots, a team on top, and Belichick, who very few people like. If this was the Browns, it wouldn't be as big a deal.

I don't know what the league could do to stop the story from getting to the press. I'm sure the Jets let everyone know privately. And publicly, it seems the league told everyone to keep quiet. What else are they supposed to do?

Right way for whom? For the shareholders (the owners) or his own ego?

His first priority, in my mind, would be to protect the integrity of the sport. Which I think he's going about in the completely wrong way by taking the avenue of holding figurative gallows in the town square.
There are always two camps when it comes to "dirty little secrets".

1. Keep them secret, so nobody gets the "wrong impression".

2. Bring them out in the open and deal with them.

He's obviously the latter, as am I. It might be a tough pill to swallow while everything's going down, but if he cleans up the league's image, it'll be better for them in the long run. Things swept under the rug tend to explode at the worst possible time.

He's been an ass, and I just hope that the players' union sacks up and tells him to take a hike.

Again. We went over this with the Harrison suspension. He's taking a stand and trying to make this the game the best it can be. Stop crying.

The NFL didn't. The Jets did.

Why do you think the "league" is responsible for this story getting out originally. It was the "jets." This is not in dispute. AT ALL. And once it's out, it's out.

Again. We went over this with the Harrison suspension. He's taking a stand and trying to make this the game the best it can be. Stop crying.

I'm not crying, I'm responding to another poster. So, piss off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back