PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Rookie Minicamp Day 1 press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
BB: "We're underway...A lot of new faces...starting all over with, from scratch...good to start from scratch, teach from scratch...a lot of things are in groups...all of those things will be put together in due course...we're getting them up to speed with preparation, studying, weights, offseason program, etc...lot of orientation, teaching going on...this isn't time to evaluate what guys are doing...it's new and unfamiliar...we want them to have a chance to compete with the veterans..."

Press: "Are you throwing a lot of it at them?"

BB: "For them it's a lot, but big picture it isn't...brand new concepts for some, new terminology for others...routes, coverage adjustments...there's not too many who have that exposure..."

Press: "..."

BB: "I think you want to get to a point beyond comfort but able to be processed...we're not trying to overwhelm them...we may have to adjust..."

Press: "Hairston?"

BB: "Productive player in college...we're here to see what they can do..."

Press: "What did you get from Scott attending the CCSU homecoming game?"

BB: "Would have talk to Scott...."

Press: "Gutierrez?"

BB: "Communication, being able to handle adjustments...we can only do what we can on our side of the ball...a lot to see, process, that's what you do at that spot (QB)?

Press: "Gutierrez, only QB?"

BB: "That's what it is...sometimes with another person it's easier to learn...but most important is to get the most out of each rep..."

Re: BB press conference

Press: "Lua...fit in 3-4" (Reiss)

BB: "Oscar is physical, tough...good job playing running game...has experience coverage...USC runs a good system...lot of exposure to things we do..."

Press: "USC system?" (Reiss)

BB: "Same thing Pete ran here...4-3.."

Press: "Pro-style offense?" (Reiss)

BB: "Definitely...it's Pete's...not the same defense we run, but elements carry over..."

Press: "Unique to other colleges?" (Reiss)

BB: "A lot college teams have coaches with NFL experience....but it's modified to their level...hash marks, options are different..but there's carryover?"

Press: "Lua, special teams?"

BB: "He played in the kicking game...but college doesn't always translate to pros...we'll give everyone a chance to take advantage of their opportunities..."

Press: "Is this exciting to get back on the field...what advise to you give to players trying to catch your attention?"

BB: "Not evaluation, it's a learning practice...once they learn it, then we'll see how it translates to team, in-game simulated performances....my advice is to work-hard, be prepared, take advantage of opportunities...don't worry about coaching decisions, playing time, rotation...players can't control that..."

Press: "Projecting 1-AA?"

BB: "It's another level."

Press: "Workouts, not games for those players?"

BB: "Combo...but you'd like to see players at that level being significant...that guy should be playing in a higher level feeling...without, it's a concern..."

Press: "How much evaluating at a camp like this..."

BB: "We have guys out there not on the roster...we do have to evaluate them...we're going to be over the limit when the draft choices sign in July...the players we have now plus draft choices will have to be trimmed back...attrition usually takes care of that...evaluation is much more on how players understand things...we'll see how they're able to perform..."

Press: "More difficult for OL/DL?"

BB: "Yes, as more of their evaluation is based on strength, hand-to-hand combat...easier to evaluate in TC..."

Press: "Conditioning, leeway this weekend?" (Reiss)

BB: "Again, guys at this level are competing against veterans in the S+C program, with game experience...it's one thing for a kid to be underdeveloped at age 21...not to be in condition doesn't help chances...I understand everyone's not in top condition, but this is a career...they need to take advantage of opportunities..."

Press: "Rookies training for 40s and benches instead?"

BB: "Poor decisions by players...a football player should train for football, not broad jump...whether a guy jumps 9'4" or 9'6" shouldn't affect his draft position...not my decision, but I wouldn't advise them to do that...some are training for combine...guys here are training for football...they're ahead of others..."

Press: "Homework before TC?"

BB: "They're here until the end of June...it's a long course...6-7 weeks...the test is what they can do out of the field...we routinely give them written or film or walkthrough...we quiz and test them routinely...they're expected to answer questions on the spot...the real test is on the field...some guys can get 100 on a test inside, but play poorly on the field...others get a 70 and play well...something can be said for studying for a verbal or written exam..."

Press: "John Hannah, picking brain?"

BB: "Yeah, I've talked to John...not today..."

Press: "But today, 'what do you think'?"

BB: "Yeah, depends on how conversation goes...I don't think there's a better OL coach than Dante...no disrespect to anyone else...we value his opinion the most..."

Press: "Don Davis?"

BB: "Don has expanded his role...he did it in the past...he's a quality player and person, and instructor...he's served those roles in the past, but more instruction now...he can add more off the field than on the field now...smart, good perspective for those coming in in a player's POV...like Pepper, but he's more removed now...they can relate to the players better than us...that's valuable..."

Press: "Moss in OS program?"

BB: "We'll talk about the OS program when it comes."

-END-

Re: BB press conference -- a couple of quick bites

When he was asked whether some players came in to rookie mini-camp in less good football shape because they'd been training for the pre-draft testing program, BB agreed very strongly. Said that was absolutely the case with a lot of rookies, that he'd never advise them to do that, that it wasn't going to help them to get drafted (with his organization, at least) and it certainly wouldn't help them compete on the field with veterans who were in football shape.

He was asked about having John Hannah in the organization and he said, yes, it was something he valued, Hannah would be someeone he'd talk to and he would listen to his opinion on something. But, that said, Dante was the line coach, the best in the league and that he had met, in his opinion, and that he didn't need to look elsewhere for advice.

BB said that Don Davis was "a quality guy; he's smart" -- a quality player, person and instructor. That it was valuable to have someone who could give a perspective on the organization from a player's point of view -- like Pepper, but more recently -- in contrast to those ("myself included") who have never played.

Q: Will Randy Moss participate in the off-season program?

A: We'll talk about the off-season program when we get to that. Any more questions? Thank you.

Edit: well, scrub all that -- Pats1 has a brain like a sponge and fingers like a machine gun ...

Last edited:
Re: BB minicamp press conference

Good Post Pats 1.

I always think those triangle #'s harped on leading up to and during the draft are overrated. Although they can't be totally ignored, teams are drafting football players not workout warriors.

Good Post Pats 1.

I always think those triangle #'s harped on leading up to and during the draft are overrated. Although they can't be totally ignored, teams are drafting football players not workout warriors.

Pioli was interviewed after the combine and said that every combine drill is significant in the Pats draft evaluation process, broad jump included. I wonder if there is a real contradiction here, or one (or both) of them is blowing smoke.

Thanks to all of you for all the work put in. The Lazies appreciate it.

Pioli was interviewed after the combine and said that every combine drill is significant in the Pats draft evaluation process, broad jump included. I wonder if there is a real contradiction here, or one (or both) of them is blowing smoke.

No, Pioli in his 790 The Score interview and his two latest Patriots All-Access interviews seemed to contradict what he said after the draft.

He's also had a few other interviews since which I haven't listened to:

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/pioli/scott.htm

Thanks for the info guys.
Pats1 you are amazing. I don't know how you do it.

Thanks to all of you for all the work put in. The Lazies appreciate it.

Yea we really do, keep it up..

Thanx, Mike, for charging that machine gun!

Pats1, you are a pillar of this board for all the factual content you add !

Thanks for the info guys.
Pats1 you are amazing. I don't know how you do it.

I was disappointed with myself this time. I think I missed a lot of what BB said...:D

I was disappointed with myself this time. I think I missed a lot of what BB said...:D

Go easy on yourself, we really appreciate what we get. Transcript will be on Patriots website very soon.

great job
now, if you could only step it up a lil this week in fantasy baseball

great job
now, if you could only step it up a lil this week in fantasy baseball

Yeah, my pitching is getting killed by injuries. I need to shake up my roster a bit.

Last year on one of his coffee with the coach segments with the boys on WEEI Bill said much the same thing about the combine. He thinks it's a colossal waste of time as it's evolved and it sets back many of those who train specifically for it. They haven't played football in 5 months when he gets them, and if they've been training for track and field type events they aren't in football shape any more. He's more interested in interviewing them and developing a feel for who they are at the combine. He's got film to show him how they play in pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes