PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB /Red Auerbach

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Anyone see the similarities. ? i dont know a lot about Red but having read and heard from around the media it seems that he also let people think what they want and didnt do anything to dispel myths people had if he thought it could help him win. The running up the score, the media thinking BB is showing up the NFL, all this stuff seems similar to Red letting the lakers think their dressing rooms in the garden werent heated etc. BB doesnt deny or accept any of it , just lets people think more and more about it . Anyone who knows more about Red or the celtics of the glory days,offer any thoughts ?

Interesting, I was just thinking to myself in the 4th quarter yesterday, that Kyle Eckel is to BB what the cigar was to Red. (Wasn't there a Celtics benchwarmer way back when that used to be humorously nicknamed the Human Cigar? or did I make that up)

I was a young fan of the Auerbach Celtics in the 60s, my very first sports love. The similarities are legion.

1. Both coaches pioneered the use of role players to an extent never before done.
2. Both fielded seemingly less talented teams (OK excepting THIS year's Patriots) yet beat the glory boys (Lakiz, Squealiz, Chaagiz, Colts)
3. Both featured superstars (Russell, Brady) that for years were not hyped by the national media focused on the Elgin Baylors & chamberlins of the day
4. Both continually out-coached their opponents
5. Both fielded teams that played their very best under extreme playoff pressure
6. Both were focused on winning, not on self-aggrandizement or popularity
7. Both were most often over shadowed by the local obsession with the Red Sox

Very different outward personalities, but not so different in their approaches to running a team. For instance, I've always thought that the way the Auerbach Celtics acquired players whom other teams assumed were undraftable (Jo Jo White, Danny Ainge) is echoed in the Pats' selection of backup players, etc.

How many NFL teams have fielded this many players who were not starters for their college football teams?

Matt Cassel
Randall Gay
Matt Gutierrez
Oscar Lua
Stephen Neal

I see him more as a sports version of Howard Roark.

Belichick doesn't really gloat after victories like Red used to do with his victory cigar. Belichick is a lot more serious with his public persona, but another thing you could add to your list is they both cared socially about advancing Black athletes and African Americans in America.

I was a young fan of the Auerbach Celtics in the 60s, my very first sports love. The similarities are legion.

1. Both coaches pioneered the use of role players to an extent never before done.
2. Both fielded seemingly less talented teams (OK excepting THIS year's Patriots) yet beat the glory boys (Lakiz, Squealiz, Chaagiz, Colts)
3. Both featured superstars (Russell, Brady) that for years were not hyped by the national media focused on the Elgin Baylors & chamberlins of the day
4. Both continually out-coached their opponents
5. Both fielded teams that played their very best under extreme playoff pressure
6. Both were focused on winning, not on self-aggrandizement or popularity
7. Both were most often over shadowed by the local obsession with the Red Sox

And both had to scratch and claw for championship victories at times. The difference being that the Patriots were somehow deemed "inferior champions" when they scratched and clawed past the other 31 teams, and the Celtics were just considered winners.

Well, maybe not. I think Philly fans often saw the Celtics are "lucky", like when the in bounds pass hit the guy wire. And it's true that you need luck to win a championship, no matter if you have Russell and Cousy, et al. The other guys were good too. If you could beat Chamberlain then I don't give a damn how you did it, it was an accomplishment. That guy was an animal.

People don't realize that we beat a good Eagles team, and a good Panthers team, and a good Rams team. Those were not inferior opponents. At that time to win by three points was good enough. You don't have to blow out anybody to prove your worth. Blowouts usually indicate lots of things, but among them is the fact that the opponent was not a great team. The Pats have always faced great teams in the SB. This wasn't about the Cowboys facing the Bills who were ready to give up as soon as they fell behind. It's not about the Niners facing a tremendously over-matched Chargers. It wasn't about the Redskins with the best OL and running game in the universe facing a Denver defense that had no clue.

The Patriots earned everything they won by beating great teams. That Panthers team was vastly underrated. They put Mohammed and Smith on the field with a good running game and a QB with balls the size of Manhatten. The Rams were the Rams. What can you say? With any smarts on the sideline they would have beaten us. The Eagles had a talented and well coached team, and a T.O. that was on fire. Brian Westbrook - we shut him down, and that guy is a tremendous talent.

This year may be different. The NFC winner may get smoked like a cheap cigar. I think by the time that game rolls around the NFC team could be ready to suck its thumb. It could be a very non-entertaining game.

Then people will wake up. But they should not need that to wake up. BB is a lot like Red, true, and the organization is well tuned like the old Celtics, true. That is not easy to accomplish.

Your comparison to pick ups by Belichick and Auerbach is not exact. Both sought specific veteran role players who could provide an ability lacking on their team. Think of Bailey Howell and Roman Phifer. Or a "fading" Superstar like Dennis Johnson and Rodney Harrison.

Most of all they inculcated an attitude of POISE and Professionalism as exemplified by their Superstar Players. Bill Russell and Tom Brady are the most competitive and hardworking players in their sport that you can imagine. Both had ample but not extraordinary athletic talent. They had POISE and Intelligence to know what was important, and the work effort to bring it out.

Before Russell, no one thought shot-blocking and the outlet-pass would make a Superstar, but he carried that talent, so far.

Brady was a tall skinny QB, who has used the one side-step or step-up plus hard work and intelligence to throw ..."where they ain't".

I see him more as a sports version of Howard Roark.

Belichick doesn't really gloat after victories like Red used to do with his victory cigar. Belichick is a lot more serious with his public persona, but another thing you could add to your list is they both cared socially about advancing Black athletes and African Americans in America.

I WOULD LOVE to see BB start lighting up a victory cigar !! The NFL and the media-bots would sh*t themselves ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back