Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdo5

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
LOL This is great

The Sounds of Silence
Posted by John Tomase at 4:37 pm

If there’s been a stranger conference call in history than the one that just took place with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, I’m not sure I want to hear it.

Naturally, the topic on everyone’s mind was Deion Branch, between reports that he’s agreed to deals with the Jets and Seahawks, that he’s filed a grievance against the team, and that he could hold out until November.

Belichick didn’t feel like answering those questions, however, referring instead to a two-sentence statement reading, “No trade has been consummated. Deion Branch remains under contract to the New England Patriots.â€

Belichick was asked a question about Branch and the grievance. He referred to the statement. He answered a couple of questions about cuts, and then the Branch questions started again. And here’s where things got weird.

Question: “You say in the statement that no deal has been consummated. Is today’s deadline hard and fast, or might you do something in the future?â€

Belichick: “I don’t have anything else to add.â€

Question: “Did you miscalculate Deion Branch’s value on the open market.â€

Belichick:

The silence was uncomfortably long. It felt like 30 seconds. The question was repeated.

Belichick: “I’ll just have to let the statement speak for itself.â€

Question: “It doesn’t say anything. That’s the problem with the statement. It doesn’t say anything. Did you miscalculate his value on the open market? The statement doesn’t address that.â€

Belichick:

Question: “Is there a problem on the line?â€

Crickets chirp. Tumbleweeds tumble. A solitary hawk shrieks.

PR director Stacey Jams: “Any more questions.â€

Reporters:

And that was the end of that.

Tomase has a short memory. The press conference when BB resigned as HC of the NYJ and then mumbled incoherently for 45 minutes was much stranger.

:rofl: :rofl: I'll bet their counterparts in Cleveland will be laughing over a beer when this gets out.

PromisedLand said:
Tomase has a short memory. The press conference when BB resigned as HC of the NYJ and then mumbled incoherently for 45 minutes was much stranger.

You got that right! I don't even think this one is so strange...BB refusing to say anything, strange? PAr for the course is more like it.

What would have been strange is if he had said, "Sure, lemme go over with you guys EXACTLY what is going on with the Deion Branch situation...."

Translation "This is my boat, I'm the captain !"

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
You got that right! I don't even think this one is so strange...BB refusing to say anything, strange? PAr for the course is more like it.

What would have been strange is if he had said, "Sure, lemme go over with you guys EXACTLY what is going on with the Deion Branch situation...."
Exactly. THAT would be strange! :)

Parcells would have more fun ways of not answering a question. Other than just that, Belichick has surpassed him.

Crowpointer said:
Translation "This is my boat, I'm the captain !"

So true.............I wished I could get away with it at my job.

Last edited:
RI Pats Fan said:
Parcells would have more fun ways of not answering a question. Other than just that, Belichick has surpassed him.
Yeah. The one good thing about TO going to Dallas has been getting to see more of Parcells press conference media confrontations. It was always very entertaining the way he'd ridicule them with his sarcasm.

I'm not saying I'd ever want him back as a coach because I think he's a snake in the grass, and while he's a good coach he's no BB - but I do miss his press conferences!

That is priceless. I pray that BB writes a book when all is said & done & lets us all know exactly what he WOULD have said in certain situations, I would pay HUGE money to find that out!

Belichick should get a sound bite of Rosenhaus... he can press a button and you hear "Next Question."

I love when the reporter asks if there is a problem with the line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back