PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB pre-draft press conference on april 16, 10h55.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handel

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Will you listen to it? Not to have info on who the Pats will draft, but BB bring always valuable information during those press conferences.

Will it be available online? If so, I will definitely find a way to listen.

Will it be available online? If so, I will definitely find a way to listen.

I imagine Patriots.com will carry it live...

Will you listen to it? Not to have info on who the Pats will draft, but BB bring always valuable information during those press conferences.

Of course, I fully expect BB to reveal the Patriots draft board and who they plan on taking.

it seems to begin now.

Interesting notes---
BB noted expense of "top 4-5 picks", why not top 10?
He noted drafting for value, but balked when asked if he thought they had to produce sooner--I think he wanted to say yes.....but again politically correct.
Not too happy with the gap between 7 and 62 but didnt seem overly concerned"not too much we can do" which makes me think they are planning on using the picks, no indications of trading. (which means nothing,lol)
Stupid reporters asking questions of feelings toward league issues, BB too smart to answer those.
He indicated that they were thinking about staying out west between games...but with older players I think he would be more inclined to get their views before making that decision.
He looked relaxed, but had his game face on knowing the media.

The buzzword value was thrown around quite a bit in that conference, and I think that If Ellis is there at 7, he will be the pick if a trade down cannot be accomplished.

BB basically said it's better to select the best player available, who can help you in a year or two, instead of drafting for initial need.

Speaking of drafting for need:
"If that player can't perform the way you needed him to play, then you really haven't accomplished much."

Speaking of drafting according to value:
"It's about getting the best value for your pick, and that's a very inexact science." Sometimes you're right. Sometimes you're wrong."

The buzzword value was thrown around quite a bit in that conference, and I think that If Ellis is there at 7, he will be the pick if a trade down cannot be accomplished.

Sedrick Ellis provides no value whatsoever for a 3-4 defense. I hope the FO understands this, too.

Wonder what "value" actually means in this context? Does it mean taking the best player regardless of position, or taking the best player for you regardless of if he will get PT this year... It just serves to feed the speculation on Dorsey/Ellis, but I sense a smokescreen here.

Sedrick Ellis provides no value whatsoever for a 3-4 defense. I hope the FO understands this, too.
Given that they get to pick how to use him, if they do pick him he will clearly provide value. How anyone can say he would "provide no value" when his value is in the hands of those who pick him is beyond me.

Given that they get to pick how to use him, if they do pick him he will clearly provide value. How anyone can say he would "provide no value" when his value is in the hands of those who pick him is beyond me.

Sedrick Ellis is a 4-3 DT; not a 3-4 DE, and not a 3-4 NT. He would be a square peg in a round hole with this defense, and therefore provide no value whatsoever to us.

If we are forced to keep the #7 pick (and I would much, much rather trade down - no matter who was still available), then we should choose either a CB, LB, Chris Long or Brandon Albert - not necessarily in that order.

Sedrick Ellis is a 4-3 DT; not a 3-4 DE, and not a 3-4 NT. He would be a square peg in a round hole with this defense, and therefore provide no value whatsoever to us.
He would provide value by definition that we took him and would make a valued role for him. Before Wright got hurt we played more than a little 4-3. We can get him on the field and would have a plan to should we draft him.

He's not who I want, it's not the pick I'm looking for. But to say he would have no value when Belichick/Pees would make a role for him is just wrong.

So you are saying that if the Pats thought Ellis was worth taking at 7, then you would assume that the best defensive mind ever (BB) ad his staff which includes one of the best defensive minds today (Capers) might have an idea of how to use him before picking him?

That seems like nonsense to me. Clearly Ellis would show up for mini-camp and sit and watch as BB stood them confused saying "what did we pick him for? He has no value in our defense."

Realistically, BB has spent the 3 highest picks he's had with the Patriots on d-linemen, so it could hardly be a shock if he took another. It would cement the core of this defense for years to come. I see the logic and value, but it reminds me of someone here three years ago saying, "I waited all afternoon for Logan f'in Mankins????" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes