PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on WEEI Patriots Monday Coffee with the Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just about over and I can't sumamrize as I wasn't somewhere where I could take notes and didn't catch every word. But suffice it to say he sounds in very good spirits (the Deion insanity must not be wearing on him as it is on the fan base and media and these guys know better than to go down that road).

He said Seau is fitting in nicely and improving with each week of working with the guys. Says Tedy is doing very well (wouldn't commit to Sunday) and has stayed up on everything through meetings and walk throughs. Talked a little bit about Gotti now needing to look forward not backward. Funny exchange with Smerlas who was trying to insist Gotti was born in Buffalo (hence would be familiar with snow). Bill was laughing and corrected Fred that it was Baton Rouge (which explained Fred's confusion since it also starts with a B).

He positively glowed by BB standards when talking about Cassel and how the team has faith in his ability to run the offense and make good decisions. Said he has progressed farther than any player on the roster in the past season. Also gave them the scoop that O'Sullivan had been in and signed to the PS.

Hopefully they will play it again in the 6PM hour or have it archieved in their vault.

Last edited:
From the few plays I saw of Seau in the preseason he looks very slow. I think we can get by on what we have for the 1st & 2nd games, but after that we desperately need Bruschi back at 100%.

As much as the WEEI team kiss BB's *ss, he does relax when he's with them making it a must listen. He told a story about being the Turk in Baltimore and said they called him "bad news Billy." He also made the announcement that O'Sullivan would be signed to the practice squad. He also laughed when Glen said he wouldn't ask about players who aren't with the team.

Last edited:
Hoodie said:
As much as the WEEI team kiss BB's *ss, he does relax when he's with them making it a must listen.

I agree that one of the best things about BB's segments on the Big Show is that he does relax with the panel. Not that he isn't guarded in what he says; it's just a different dynamic than when he's at the podium dealing with the media as a whole.

Hoodie said:
As much as the WEEI team kiss BB's *ss, he does relax when he's with them making it a must listen. He told a story about being the Turk in Baltimore and said they called him "bad news Billy." He also made the announcement that O'Sullivan would be signed to the practice squad. He also laughed when Glen said he wouldn't ask about players who aren't with the team.

Absolutely. His press conferences all tend to blend together, but the radio show is a relaxed and frequently amusing listen.

I think the most interesting part of the interview was how strongly Belichick praised Matt Cassell. Talked about his understanding of the offense, making the reads, limiting mistakes (like delay of game), and so forth. He all but said that there was nobody they could have brought into camp who was going to take the backup spot from Cassel. As a long-time observer of Belichick, I would say that he was giving unusually strong praise for a player. Reminded me of the way he talked about Brady in the 2001 preseason.

On injuries, he said that Harrison and Koppen were ready to play and would see action. He said all but said Bruschi would play -- talked about how he's been making good progress, fully up to speed in meetings, etc. He then joked that the injury report would come out tomorrow.

Paraphrasing, he said that Sullivan "had a long way to go" when he arrived in Foxboro, but has turned it around and improved week by week.

All in all, he sounded upbeat and eager to get the season underway.

hwc said:
I think the most interesting part of the interview was how strongly Belichick praised Matt Cassell. Talked about his understanding of the offense, making the reads, limiting mistakes (like delay of game), and so forth. He all but said that there was nobody they could have brought into camp who was going to take the backup spot from Cassel. As a long-time observer of Belichick, I would say that he was giving unusually strong praise for a player. Reminded me of the way he talked about Brady in the 2001 preseason.

On injuries, he said that Harrison and Koppen were ready to play and would see action. He said all but said Bruschi would play -- talked about how he's been making good progress, fully up to speed in meetings, etc. He then joked that the injury report would come out tomorrow.

Paraphrasing, he said that Sullivan "had a long way to go" when he arrived in Foxboro, but has turned it around and improved week by week.

All in all, he sounded upbeat and eager to get the season underway.

Regarding Cassel, makes me wonder if he's overhyping him hoping to enhance his trade value next spring. Lets face it, with Brady, he ain't playing and they aren't trading Brady. If they could get a top two round pick for Cassel, it'd be a steal.

Jacky Roberts said:
Regarding Cassel, makes me wonder if he's overhyping him hoping to enhance his trade value next spring. Lets face it, with Brady, he ain't playing and they aren't trading Brady. If they could get a top two round pick for Cassel, it'd be a steal.

When is Cassell's contract up? I don't think BB is thinking of a trade at this point...but yo unever know. I think he is only thinking "What if TB gets hurt?"...and with that he is pleased to see Cassell keeping that less worry some.

This is my favorite forum for BB, he seems relaxed and Ordway and his crew play by the rules and do not go down the really stupid street.

The transcript is available on All Things Belichick.com

Jacky Roberts said:

i think that's reading too much into the comments. if i'm cassel, i'm thinking it's not a bad gig to back up brady. backing up Montana worked out ok for Steve Young...

bakes781 said:
From the few plays I saw of Seau in the preseason he looks very slow. I think we can get by on what we have for the 1st & 2nd games, but after that we desperately need Bruschi back at 100%.

I'm gonna disagree here.

I wasn't expecting a lot from him, but I gotta say the LEAST biggest issue we have with him is speed and mobility.

He looked very athletic and very quick.

As I said before, his issue will be durability.

He demostates much better range than Phifer did when he was with us, and I thought Phifer was pretty serviceable.

Last edited:
PatsFanSince74 said:
i think that's reading too much into the comments. if i'm cassel, i'm thinking it's not a bad gig to back up brady. backing up Montana worked out ok for Steve Young...

Steve Young??? OH MY GOD, now we are comparing Cassel to Young. SY was a league MVP when Montana went down with a bad back. Youngs was a college superstar at BYU and was a number 1 draft pick in the AFL...

Yeah, it's he same thing.

I am on board with BB hyping Cassel for trade bait.

If Seau did look slow, it could be - well, that he IS slow - or it could be that he's hesitant, as this style of play is different from what he's played for 50 years or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back