PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to be a total BB suck-up but I like when he says things like this about players.....

“He sees some things that I’m not sure everybody sees,” Belichick said. “He kind of has a little bit of his own … he’s an instinctive player and he sees things. I don’t know it’s the textbook way you’d read the plays, but he reads them. It’s interesting to work him into our system. ... He's an interesting player to coach."

Belichick: Spikes 'interesting' to coach - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

That is an interesting piece. I'm sure it's happened before, but I can't remember BB talking that way before about a player.

Reiss got a Tweet response to him posting a link to this article on Twitter from Chris Sprow, a college sports analyst on ESPN:

Twitter / Mike Reiss: RT @Sprow_ESPN: @MikeReiss ...

This is a truly fascinating draft, because the Patriots went after some 'troubled' picks:

Gronk - back injury
Spikes - molasses in his 40 run
Hernandez - sparking doobies

If those three pan out as comparative draft 'bargains', it should make for a lot of interesting 'human interest' pieces in the future.

BB seems to like Spikes, rare that he says to the media about it though :)

I LOVE it!

I have never heard Bill at a loss for words when describing how someone picks up the system.

The quotes come from BB's 8/4 presser. I think people need to listen to the whole response to get the real gist of what he was trying to say.

Reads like a mad scientist who's discovered a new concoction that he can't wait to test.

Last edited:
This is a truly fascinating draft, because the Patriots went after some 'troubled' picks:

Gronk - back injury

If those three pan out as comparative draft 'bargains', it should make for a lot of interesting 'human interest' pieces in the future.

Well, if training camp reports ring true to real game play, both Spikes and Hernandez could be real impact players right out of the gate. Personally, I was more concerned about Brandon Spikes gouging someone's eyes on the field than his 40 time. I am not that concerned about that because it is very unclear if it was intentional. I think teams use combines and pro days far too seriously.

Well, if training camp reports ring true to real game play, both Spikes and Hernandez could be real impact players right out of the gate. Personally, I was more concerned about Brandon Spikes gouging someone's eyes on the field than his 40 time. I am not that concerned about that because it is very unclear if it was intentional. I think teams use combines and pro days far too seriously.

Somebody posted on the forum or I read somewhere...
I can look for a source if need be - but the real story there is that a player had spit into his face mask the prior play. So he knocked the guy down on the next play and rubbed the spit back into the other guy's face.

Meyer told Spikes not to say anything after the incident.

Well, if the "eye-gouging" incident was in fact a "spit-wiping" incident, then there is no need to worry about that one.

Edit: Baron beat me to it.

Last edited:
Brandon Spikes Is the real deal. Could there be anyone better than Bill to bring out his full potential?

Spikes will bring an attitude to the D that has been lacking recently. Mayo, Spikes and McKenzie on the inside is going to be fun to watch.

The thing that blew my mind about Spikes on film was the way he slammed into blockers with his helmet/shoulder, and managed to keep both arms free to make a play.

I believe possibly it is this instinctual way that Spikes sheds blockers (and punishes them at the same time) that BB does not want to start messing with. Sometimes you don't want to screw up a good thing by over coaching.

Spikes hits people and blows them up, kind of like Ted Johnson, instead of engaging in a block directly with his arms. He is punishing the blocker and meanwhile looking for the next guy to tackle.

Last edited:

Gronk - back injury

In retospect, glad we passed on that guy who injured his back while sparking a doobie which made slower than molasses. He'd of been a 'troubled' pick.

In retospect, glad we passed on that guy who injured his back while sparking a doobie which made slower than molasses. He'd of been a 'troubled' pick.

Well, if they all go bust, that will make for very interesting reads too.

Well, if they all go bust, that will make for very interesting reads too.

Oh yeah. Despite the "aggressive" nature of the Boston media, these kids would be chum if they'd been drafted by the JESTS and then messed up in NYC.

:cool:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ullsh-t-assessment-florida-players-taken.html

2. Brandon Spikes, ILB:
Spikes is somebody who gives me concerns in which apparently none of my fellow Gators or Pats fans share. First, though, let me get to what I believe are his strengths. Spikes could be the thumper that I and others have been waiting for in this defense since the departure of Ted Johnson. I've seen him compared to Brian Cox and, based on his time at Florida, I'd say those comparisons are apt. He's a big, violent LB who excels at getting off blocks from men twice his size and disrupting this in both the passing game and the running game. He's a solid tackler who plays with a violent nature that enabled him to become the leader of the Florida defense (which ranked near the top of the SEC in two of the three years that he was a featured part in that system). A lot people criticized him for the "eye gouging" incident, but I say that I loved that. That incident pretty much perfectly describes the mean streak that Spikes has toward the opposition, which is something this team sorely needed at the position next to Jerod Mayo. I've also seen Spikes called the dirtiest player in college football, which I can also say is apt. If he sticks in the system, Spikes will be Rodney Harrison at LB. In the locker room, Spikes seems to be a natural leader and is extremely vocal. He should embrace the Patriot Way right off the bat. His speed, which has also been criticized, should not be an issue in this defense if his instincts stay intact and he can rely on his technique. Speaking of insticts, Spikes' are off the charts. Spikes was actually a type of ballhawk at the MLB position at Florida and regularly read the quarterback to pick the ball off (he's taken a few back for touchdowns). His instincts were also obvious in the running game as he knew and obeyed his gap assignments.

I've been really high on Spikes' instincts since 2008. It's good to hear that BB sees them translating to the pros, at least in TC. Whether or not that happens in games remains to be seen.

That was nice, but it's by no means the best thing ever said about Brandon Spikes:

BRANDON SPIKES SHOULD WORRY ABOUT HIS SHARKLIKE TENDENCIES

Tiny by Orson on Nov 13, 2009 1:47 PM EST Comment 23 comments

Tim Tebow uses Bible verses on his eyeblack, which crazy kidnapping rainbow wig guy did, and now they're connected. Check, check, and blog post done.

The principle is transferable to so many other things, though. For instance, take Brandon Spikes. He is a fierce linebacker, swimming through blocks and sniffing out plays other predatory linebackers miss. He's practically sharklike, we tell you. Sharks have a lot of positives traits. They kill things well. They never stop moving. They often RSVP for parties well before others and have a natural sensitivity to the issues of LGBT other fish don't have. They're sharks, they're proud, and you can't take that away from them unless you kill them and eat them. Then you've pretty much taken everything away from them, because you've eaten them.

Sharks, who are just like Brandon Spikes and vice versa, can do the same to you, and that's the problem. Sharks eat things randomly. You might see Brandon Spikes eating a license plate on the side of the road because it's shiny one day, and then what are you going to do, Florida fans? Let's not even get on the topic of what happens to pregnant sharks around other sharks.

A pregnant shark at a New Zealand aquarium was bitten by another shark, unexpectedly releasing four baby sharks as visitors watched.

An aquarium spokeswoman said stunned visitors saw the injured shark and alerted staff that they had also seen things float from the gaping wound.

What happens when Spikes finds shark love and then bites open his beloved because, well, he's a shark and that's what sharks do? Do you know how much shark day care costs? Or how strained your relationship with your shark in-laws will become, especially because sharks have such difficulty dealing with their emotions anyway? What about when he just begins attacking men who look like Robert Shaw? Do you know how many barrel chested sketchoid guys with mustaches there are in Florida? He'll never have time for football.

(If this does happen, though, Chuck Amato should grow a mustache, and someone should film this for the benefit of NC State fans.)

WHAT THEN FLORIDA FANS? We're just saying, he might want to switch to decaf, because then you'll be stuck with all these shark babies you can't eat at once, sharkbacker Spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back