PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/04/different_type.html

Different type of draft
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 1, 2008 04:06 PM
PALM BEACH, Fla., -- In his session with reporters at the AFC breakfast this morning, Patriots coach Bill Belichick shared his thoughts on the draft, and how this year is a bit different for the team in the players that are getting close attention.

"Last year, even the last couple years, we weren’t that focused on the players at the very top of the draft -- the Larry Fitzgeralds, guys like that. We just weren’t going to pick them, they weren’t going to be there, the tackle last year in Cleveland, Joe Thomas, there was no way. This year is a little bit different for us because we are at the top of the draft," Belichick said.

"It’s been a while since we’ve been up here and it’s a little different picture of the draft, looking from the top down, instead of from the bottom up. I know Scott [Pioli] and the scouting department look at all players, but I’ve personally looked at the top players in the draft a lot more closely than I have in recent years when there was a number of guys we had no shot of getting.”

With that in mind, Belichick has come to the conclusion there is no easy choice at the top.

"I don’t know if there is a clear-cut No. 1 player this year," he said. "I don’t think there is."

On the entire draft, Belichick said: "A lot more depth than last year, much deeper. More players, I don’t know if at every position, but most positions."

Exactly. All these people thinking there's no way what so ever we go LB don't realize this. He has never been in position to take a LB when he was picking so far back.

I recommend Peter King's MMQB article to any Patriots fan. He starts with an interview with Thomas Dimitroff, former Director of College Scouting for the Pats, now the GM of Atlanta:

"The second thing I take from New England is system-specific scouting. You grade players for your own team, not for the how others in the league might see them. It doesn't matter if we have a player graded as a first-rounder and some other team has him in the sixth. You have to have the courage of your convictions and know you might have different needs with different kinds of players than other teams."

I didn't want to start a new thread, but thought some of you would appreciate his take on BB/ Pioli's team building.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/30/owners/index.html

Patriots 7 62 69 94 129 164 197 238

According to the Huddle Report these are our picks now that the comp picks have been added.

Exactly. All these people thinking there's no way what so ever we go LB don't realize this. He has never been in position to take a LB when he was picking so far back.

Not the top linebackers, but rarely has BB drafted A linebacker.

I agree, if we were ever to draft a LB in round one this would be the year. Though I probably just jinxed it :)

The interesting part to me is he is saying their is depth at most positions his year. Meaning if the Pats trade down there are a lot more options then in previous years. I'm officially on the trade down bandwagon.

What I took from this is that BB and the team seem real excited to be at the top of the draft with a chance to get the talent it brings. I look for them to be staying put if not trading up.

I remember similar comments of excitement from Jonathon Kraft a month back. I think it was on eei but not sure.

:bricks:I should have seen this coming sooner. It's all so clear now. The Patriots will trade up to #1 to draft Darren McFadden. Here is why?

1. BB believes the game has shifted to Offense, not Defense.
2. The Tuna is just begging to give the top overall pick away.
3. The Patriots see an opportunity and they pounce on it.
4. McFadden is unquestionably the biggest impact player.
5. The quickest way to take pressure of Brady is to run well.
6. Even when he had Dillon, BB wanted to pair him up at RB.
7. Packaging picks to Miami could also land them Jason Taylor.
8. If Brady were to go down, McFadden could help carry them.
9. Brady wants to be surrounded by playmakers who can score.
10. The League loses power to bully Pats if they trade picks.

:bricks:I should have seen this coming sooner. It's all so clear now. The Patriots will trade up to #1 to draft Darren McFadden. Here is why?

1. BB believes the game has shifted to Offense, not Defense.
2. The Tuna is just begging to give the top overall pick away.
3. The Patriots see an opportunity and they pounce on it.
4. McFadden is unquestionably the biggest impact player.
5. The quickest way to take pressure of Brady is to run well.
6. Even when he had Dillon, BB wanted to pair him up at RB.
7. Packaging picks to Miami could also land them Jason Taylor.
8. If Brady were to go down, McFadden could help carry them.
9. Brady wants to be surrounded by playmakers who can score.
10. The League loses power to bully Pats if they trade picks.

I hope this was an april fools joke post..

Hey ROOKIE, back to the doghouse.

Isn't it a nice feeling to have your head coach talk about how he never is in the top 10 at the draft because we're too busy winning AFC Championships and Superbowls all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes