PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on Malcolm Butler: Typical BB speak or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
@jeffphowe: BB on M.Butler's possible progression: "We had Steve Neal go from below undrafted, whatever that is, to starting. So we’ll see how it goes."

@MarkDanielsPJ: Belichick on Malcolm Butler: "We'll see. I think year one to year two is a potentially big step for any player."

Seems like a show of confidence/expecting big things.

I think that we all understand that Year 2 is potentially a big step, or not (see Dennard and lots of others).

@jeffphowe: BB on M.Butler's possible progression: "We had Steve Neal go from below undrafted, whatever that is, to starting. So we’ll see how it goes."

@MarkDanielsPJ: Belichick on Malcolm Butler: "We'll see. I think year one to year two is a potentially big step for any player."

Seems like a show of confidence/expecting big things.

I'd need to see the question to draw any conclusions. If he was asked something like, "could Malcolm Butler be a starter next year?" then it's probably just coach-speak.

I'm guessing just coach speak.

Nothing there ... simply saying Butler has never really faced teams taking advantage of his weaknesses. Wasn't much video of him before ...........

I'm trying to temper my excitement with Butler as I fear my expectations are completely unrealistic. However, look what he has done.

A small-time college player making the NFL as a UFA- check
A UFA making the game day roster-check
A rookie having a role in the defense- check
A rookie making contributions in the playoffs- check
A rookie performing at a high-level on the biggest stage when the spotlight is blistering and the pressure unbearable- check.

I don't know if he is an every-snap CB yet. Maybe less is more with Butler. Maybe more means less. Don't know.

What I do know is that is it premature to say that he has reached his ceiling. Just gotta see how he does with a heavy workload.

At this point he is not a lock to make the roster.

I love Butler but he's going to be limited no matter what because of his size. He's at a disadvantage with all the huge athletic outside WRs these days.

We need at least 5 corners (could be six).

We have ARRINGTON and RYAN, who will make the team (at least) as a nickel and dime back respectively. Also, Ryan is a reasonable special teamer.

Butler will be given every opportunity to compete for a roster spot, for reps, and even for a starting role.
There will be lots of competition from those already here, and from future additions.
============

BTW, Dennard may have been given a new chance to produce. Many here thought (to save an early $1M in cap money) that he should have cut, and not even been given an opportunity to compete in camp. Now he may be given a chance to compete for a starting position, or not.
======
PICK 3 or 4
------------------
BUTLER
DENNARD
McCLAIN
FLETCHER
CHICKWA
free agent addition
player by trade
draftee
draftee

I love Butler but he's going to be limited no matter what because of his size. He's at a disadvantage with all the huge athletic outside WRs these days.

Butler = 5'11", 190lbs
Revis = 5'11", 198lbs

Size will not be the thing that holds Butler back.

That size disadvantage didn't seem to stop him that one play ;)

He's a very similar size to another CB that just left the Pats to sign with the Jets.

I have a hard time believing Belichick would let both Revis and Browner go if he had no faith in Butler.. What the heck would he plan to do at CB?

At this point he is not a lock to make the roster.

At this point, he is. He may not be if they bring in a bunch of newcomers, but even then the odds are in favor of it.

I have a hard time believing Belichick would let both Revis and Browner go if he had no faith in Butler.. What the heck would he plan to do at CB?

Well he's always looking for the next innovation. Perhaps we're moving to a 4-5-2 no corner defense :D

He's a very similar size to another CB that just left the Pats to sign with the Jets.

Not really. By any measurable, Revis is bigger and a superior athlete.
Revis
Height:
Weight: 204
40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
20 Yrd Dash: 2.49
10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 6.56

Butler
Height:
Weight: 187
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13
Vertical Jump: 33 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.27
3-Cone Drill: 7.20
40 Time Range: 4.62-4.64 (some say 4.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back