PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on a Mission with the D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarvis Green, Redd, and LeKevin Smith are not included. I presume that you expect Redd to be upgraded. But then maybe with a special upgrade Green may be expendable.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I do remember the pass rushing being pretty decent with AD at OLB, before he got hurt. It was really after his injury that the defense looked very pedestrian with the pressure.

It's amazing how over a few years now we just influxed a lot of young talent (not that I'm ready to put any of these guys in the hall of fame just yet)

It's late and I'm probably forgetting some guys:

DB: Merriweather, J. Sanders, T. Williams, Chung, Springs, Bodden, Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley
Dline: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Brace
ILB: Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton
OLB: AD, Woods, Crabel, MacKenzie. TBC

I think we're going to be surprised by how fast this D and aggressive this D is.

I just want a Defense that is overly aggressive. The kind that hits you in the mouth and makes you think twice about the same route again.

You raise a good point that I neglected to mention. I believe that BB's moves in this draft show that he has immense confidence in at least a few of the young 2008 LB corps in training...Guyton, Redd, Crable and possibly Rudd.
Why do y'all disregard the guy who is most advanced and is completing the very difficult DE-->OLB multi-year conversion process. I think Pierre Woods is ready for a Cassel like emergence, and what's more BB knows it.

Last edited:
Last year we added a ton of rookies, each of them playing a role to make the team better. We had secondary problems and we added a bunch of new guys and even had Capers come in to coach em up.......did you once hear about the excellent job he was doing?? Now we have new coaches and new players and we are expecting different results.....hmmm. The one year we were really successful(16-0) what did we do different?? We had 1 draft pick, we traded for established vets. Wholesale roster shifts to accomodate a few aging "core" vets salaries?? This team used to attract FAs that would come in for a discount to earn a ring! How did we screw that up and where are those vets going instead?? I think those are the questions we should be asking.

Last year we added a ton of rookies, each of them playing a role to make the team better. We had secondary problems and we added a bunch of new guys and even had Capers come in to coach em up.......did you once hear about the excellent job he was doing?? Now we have new coaches and new players and we are expecting different results.....hmmm. The one year we were really successful(16-0) what did we do different?? We had 1 draft pick, we traded for established vets. Wholesale roster shifts to accomodate a few aging "core" vets salaries?? This team used to attract FAs that would come in for a discount to earn a ring! How did we screw that up and where are those vets going instead?? I think those are the questions we should be asking.

ban, plz

Galloway, Bodden and Springs say "hello".

The more I look at our picks the more I felt it was a draft with 2010 in mind moreso than this year.

The only guy who I can see starting or come close to starting is Chung, Cause of how Belichick runs his defense(likes to use 3 safetys on the field from time to time)

Butler would probably compete with Wheatley for nickel duties, with Springs and Bodden starting. Obviously he could impress from the get go and get the nod to start. On another note Butler is going to be a star for us IMO. Also don't forget Springs is like 56 years old and Bodden is only signed for this year.

Brace = Backup, who could eventually start down the road(love his potential as a NT). Obviously wont start over Wilfork.

Vollmer probably wont start over Kayzur as much as it pains me to say it. He is a bit raw, hopefully he proves me wrong and beats out Kayzur. But realistically he is a year or 2 away.

So as u can see all these players we drafted either already have solid starters in front of them and or are a year or 2 away. Not to mention all our guys who are going to be free agents afer the 2010 season. Belichick thinking 1 step ahead. Gotta love it.

Jarvis Green, Redd, and LeKevin Smith are not included. I presume that you expect Redd to be upgraded. But then maybe with a special upgrade Green may be expendable.

Yeah, after I posted and went to bed last night, I was like how did I forget Green and Redd. I forgot Smith as well. Told you it was late :)

Reading BB's transcript this morning, I wonder how Crable and some other other guys (Woods, Redd) would compare to the LB group this year.

Either way, I like the youth and speed we added to the D.

3. Brace, Pryor & Richard at DT/NT to give (a) Wilfork a breather, (b) a Monster short yardage run D (c) injury backup for Wilfie (d) contract leverage and ultimate disaster insurance should there not be enough food in NE to feed Vince's family (Me, I say Vince retires a Patriot)

Pryor looks like a classic NT at 6'0 320, but Richard doesn't. Richard is 6'4, 290. He'll be a DE.

Butler would probably compete with Wheatley for nickel duties, with Springs and Bodden starting. Obviously he could impress from the get go and get the nod to start. On another note Butler is going to be a star for us IMO. Also don't forget Springs is like 56 years old and Bodden is only signed for this year.

Just for the record, the nickleback pretty much is a starter. The patriots play probably 65%+ of the time out of nickle. Its a passing league.

Galloway, Bodden and Springs say "hello".

I'm not sold on these guys even making the team. With the high turnover in DBs and drafting 3 rookie CBs in the last 2 years either one could end up as this year's Fernando Bryant. Trading Hobbs helps their cause, sure, but I dont recall any of them talking the talk "I am here to get a ring",etc.
Back to the posters topic, if BB really thought this was such a weak class why not "overpay" in draft picks and pick up some vets as we have in draft days past?? The D has enough band aids, what they need is a shot of penecillin!

It's almost like BB thinks we have a STACKED defense. Hmm...I wonder why that is.

I'm not sold on these guys even making the team. With the high turnover in DBs and drafting 3 rookie CBs in the last 2 years either one could end up as this year's Fernando Bryant. Trading Hobbs helps their cause, sure, but I dont recall any of them talking the talk "I am here to get a ring",etc.
Back to the posters topic, if BB really thought this was such a weak class why not "overpay" in draft picks and pick up some vets as we have in draft days past?? The D has enough band aids, what they need is a shot of penecillin!

I expressed this about a month ago and got blasted for it. Even now, I'm not completely sold on Springs. Whatever though. We'll see what happens.

Look for Wheatley and Wilhite to be in the mix as well. I love 2nd year CBs as rookies have a ton to learn on-the-field. Butler may become valuable late in the year like Law and Hobbs did in their rookie seasons.

Regards,
Chris

I expressed this about a month ago and got blasted for it. Even now, I'm not completely sold on Springs. Whatever though. We'll see what happens.

Springs signed a 4 year $13M deal with a $4m signing bonus. Cutting him would cost a ton more than keeping him. Hes uncuttable.

Come on! The other posters think that Bodden and Springs are just JAG's who might not make the team, and that Hobbs being cut was a huge mistake.

Personally, I agree with you. Bodden and Springs are 2 of our 3 our starting corners (I include nickel). The others should get used to it!

Seriously, this is a fine group with our two 2008 draftees also competing for reps.

Springs signed a 4 year $13M deal with a $4m signing bonus. Cutting him would cost a ton more than keeping him. Hes uncuttable.

OLB: AD, Woods, Crabel, MacKenzie. TBC

I think we're going to be surprised by how fast this D and aggressive this D is.

I think that McKenzie projects to ILB for the Pats. He might also be able to play in a coverage role and/or spell Guyton.

Does Butler project as a starter this season? Or maybe by game 8?

If not who will be starting then? I see Springs as a nickleback/safety and Bodden starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes