PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB maybe wanting a top ten talent next season, just a thought??

I don't think that's unrealistic. Next year some amazing talent projects to make it into the top ten - fifteen, and I could see us making a play for one of the guys. I'd have to assume it would be for either a stud 34 DE (several coming out next year), an OLB like Kindle (a true OLB, not a DE conversion, though he's going to play DE this year), an ILB like Spikes, or a DB like Berry (the second coming of Ed Reed).

Let's be honest. As it stands, this roster is so stacked that choosing more than a couple players is just wasting picks. Where are our needs? Honestly? I'd rather trade up and get one impact guy next year, then roll the rest of the picks forward, and set ourselves up for the next half a dozen years. It's the second half of the dynasty, boys. :cool:

this is the NFL guys get hurt a lot so u need lots of back up its not the NBA wher one guy will get u a ring look at mike ditka i few yers back he give up hes whole draft for rick williams how did that work out for him ?

This time last year Maualuga and Laurinaitis were rated the top 2 prospects overall by many of the "experts". Both went 2nd round. Lots can happen. We're well positioned to do whatever BB wants.

Yep. That being said, there looks to be a handful of absolute studs coming out next year. It would be a good year to have multiple first rounders. I know Ochmed among others is high on Cody, but I'd rather re-sign Wilfork and keep the first round available for Suh, Okung, Hardy, Kindle, Benn, Spikes, Hertzlich, Oghobaase, McClain, Gresham...my God there's a lot of talent available.

Unless there's another Seymour, Mayo, or Ware type of player hanging out around pick 10, I don't see the Patriots moving up in the 1st. BB has generally traded DOWN about 70% of the time.

Yep. That being said, there looks to be a handful of absolute studs coming out next year. It would be a good year to have multiple first rounders. I know Ochmed among others is high on Cody, but I'd rather re-sign Wilfork and keep the first round available for Suh, Okung, Hardy, Kindle, Benn, Spikes, Hertzlich, Oghobaase, McClain, Gresham...my God there's a lot of talent available.

I really like your list of talent coming out next year:)

It should be a fun!!

Is Belichick so poor at drafting in the 2nd that you would trade our first and a couple of our seconds to move up to the 8 to 10 range?

Is Belichick so poor at drafting in the 2nd that you would trade our first and a couple of our seconds to move up to the 8 to 10 range?

I do not think Belichick is poor at drafting in the second, that was not my reasoning when I first created this thread. I do realize that players who are top ten right now for the 2010 draft may not be there next year. As always there will be players who are not even on any radar right now who could push to me top ten picks next year, Maybin comes to mind and DHB but that is a whole other story.

My reasoning was that we did not spend first round money this year on anybody. I am not that smart when it comes to the economics of football but was BB saving some rookie money for next year?? Looking at the big picture of the team salary was he trying to save some money this year in order to spend on a top talent next year. This is kinda a crude way to put it but it was just a though I had a work one day.

We easily could have afforded the cap money and the 3 draft picks required to move up to the 8-10 range in this last draft. We speculated that the #8 might have cost us our #23, #47 and #89. Perhaps, we might have need to add the #124 and #199 also as we did with Oakland to seal the deal or move up to #7.

What did we get instead for about the same draft value:
for the 23rd Butler, 2010 2nd, Tate, Edleman
for the 47, 124, and 199 Brace
for the 89 2010 2nd

We might have drafted Monroe or Raji or Jenkins at 8. Will the opportunity be much different next year? Perhaps we will lose both Seymour and Green and be desparate enough to trade 2 seconds and our first for a #7 or #8 in 2010. We will discuss it all the way through the first 10 picks of the 2010 draft. And then, more likely than not, Belichick will trade down rather than up, or perhaps he will draft the replacement for Mankins or Neal at 32 ro with a small trade up or down.

I do not think Belichick is poor at drafting in the second, that was not my reasoning when I first created this thread. I do realize that players who are top ten right now for the 2010 draft may not be there next year. As always there will be players who are not even on any radar right now who could push to me top ten picks next year, Maybin comes to mind and DHB but that is a whole other story.

My reasoning was that we did not spend first round money this year on anybody. I am not that smart when it comes to the economics of football but was BB saving some rookie money for next year?? Looking at the big picture of the team salary was he trying to save some money this year in order to spend on a top talent next year. This is kinda a crude way to put it but it was just a though I had a work one day.

Spikes to play next to Mayo. Inside LB for the next decade. Suh from Nebraska like someone already said. Lots of football to be played between now and then.

We easily could have afforded the cap money and the 3 draft picks required to move up to the 8-10 range in this last draft. We speculated that the #8 might have cost us our #23, #47 and #89. Perhaps, we might have need to add the #124 and #199 also as we did with Oakland to seal the deal or move up to #7.

What did we get instead for about the same draft value:
for the 23rd Butler, 2010 2nd, Tate, Edleman
for the 47, 124, and 199 Brace
for the 89 2010 2nd

We might have drafted Monroe or Raji or Jenkins at 8. Will the opportunity be much different next year? Perhaps we will lose both Seymour and Green and be desparate enough to trade 2 seconds and our first for a #7 or #8 in 2010. We will discuss it all the way through the first 10 picks of the 2010 draft. And then, more likely than not, Belichick will trade down rather than up, or perhaps he will draft the replacement for Mankins or Neal at 32 ro with a small trade up or down.

You are most likely correct. However, I think the main thing is that we are positioned for BB to do whatever he wants. In the unlikely event that he finds someone that he considers worth trading up for, he can do it. There are plenty of players with the potential to warrant a tradeup - OT Brian Bulaga, DE Ndamukong Suh, ILB Brandon Spikes, OLB Sergio Kindle, and RB Jonathan Dwyer, among others. It will be fun to watch them over the course of the season and speculate about them. But the much greater probability is that things will play out as you predict, with BB finding value at the end of the first and throughout the second and third rounds. DEs Arthur Jones, Vince Oghobasse and Lawrence Marsh, DE/LB Eric Norwood, DE/OLBs Brandon Lang and Ricky Sapp, OTs Sam Young and Adam Ulatowski, WR Mardy Gilyard, and RB LeGarrette Blount are more likely to be names getting serious consideration.

This time last year Maualuga and Laurinaitis were rated the top 2 prospects overall by many of the "experts". Both went 2nd round. Lots can happen. We're well positioned to do whatever BB wants.
You two guys are great. I too, as an armchair analyst in my pajamas, thought we were coveting Rey Maualuga, even go so far as practicing spelling his Samoan name.

We let him go by. Shows you how much I know.

But I do know Belichick, as a great coach/GM, can't be anticipated like a Swiss train. Just when people assume he'll be trading down, what with next year's higher ranked draft, we could be going in the opposite direction.

In Ochmed Jones I trust. Mt. Cody. Bigger than Mt. Washington?

Belichick will do next year just what he did this year ... trade down ... find bargains and stock the depth. Any reach at a position escalates the salary structure on the team for that position ... he doesn't do that.

Except that hes already done it numerous times.

Belichick will do next year just what he did this year ... trade down ... find bargains and stock the depth. Any reach at a position escalates the salary structure on the team for that position ... he doesn't do that.
In the 2009 draft the Patriots traded up twice to get players they

wanted. They traded up in the second round to get Oakland's pick

and select Brace. They also traded up to get a pick in the 4th round

from Baltimore to select Orhnberger.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes