PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Likes Mayo Inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dare i say, mayo looked LTish tonight

Mayo played the Mike,Sam, and Will last night and did a good job at all positions. I don't recall LT playing all 3 LB positions.

He was playing the defensive line instead :)

Oh boy, here we go... Let's not be absurd. LT dominated on defense it didn't matter what position he played. BB utilized him with great success. LT was lined up front so often, people often thought the Giants were playing a 4-3 although they weren't.

Mayo is no LT. Heck he's not even Demarcus Ware. Folks, I love Mayo, but he's not LT. He's Mayo. Let's just enjoy him for what he is, a star blossomng right before our eyes and not make ridiculous comparisons that he can't live up to.
Did I compare mayo and LT as great players? The answer is NO! LT was a great pass rusher and was a force in any game.

Personally I thought Andre Tippett was not far off LT. Tip just played for a lousy franchise and didn't have the supporting cast, the NY pub machine, and was not juiced up like LT.

But did not compare Mayo and LT, give me credit for not being a complete idiot. Your last statement that i "bolded' was all I was saying.

I think it is now clear to the world that the 2011 Patriots are the 85 Bears on defense, Montana's Champion 49er teams on offense, and, in truth, The Greatest Team of all time.

They may never lose again.

Mayo (while playing 2 GAP MLB IN A 3-4) led most linebackers last year in tackling running backs and he led most CORNERBACKS in the league in tackling WRs. Mayo was the only LB that made it on the NFL Cornerback top ten WR tackling list, and he was at the top end.

He may not be a ball hawk but he has enough game in his own right, which inolves high speed collision with anybody that dares pass or run the ball, that he does not need to apologize to Ray Lewis or LT for playing football.

This guy was our best tackler last year against running back AND WRs.
Do you have a link to those stats?
I've never seen a stat for most tackles on WR, or even imagined one would exist, so whereever you got it from would be an awesome source to check out.

I think it is now clear to the world that the 2011 Patriots are the 85 Bears on defense, Montana's Champion 49er teams on offense, and, in truth, The Greatest Team of all time.

They may never lose again.

:)

I'm just psyched that they have John Mackey at TE, John Hannah at LG and Ronnie Lott at CB.

Oh, and Tom Brady at QB. :D

Last edited:
If Mayo brings the heat like he did last night, there will be an awful lot of opposing QBs that will be imploring their linemen to "hold the Mayo".

Regards,
Chris

I think Mayo is going to be anywhere and everywhere. We all know that BB is a coach that likes favorable match-ups. What that means is on any given week he will put Mayo wherever he believes it presents an advantage for him and the defense as a whole. If that means having him over the TE, then that's where he'll line up. If it means having him in the middle, then that's where he'll be. I don't think anyone on this defense, especially not a player who has so much individual talent, will be pigeon-holed by BB.

It pretty clear Mayo is a playmaker and has the versatility that I think BB is going to move this guy all over the place with the understanding that if the offense does not account for him, he will simply dominate. The Pats will be more aggressive this season on defense, but I think right now BB is going to allow Mayo to play inside and out at times.

Mayo is one of the best young linebackers I've seen since a young Ray Lewis, or that reminiscent of something like an Andre Tippett or LTish type of playmaker. He played all positions of Linebacker last night and dominated at will. Definitely an inside guy but can play both, and in my opinion the best Linebacker in football right now, yes even over Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis.

Mayo is a ILB you dont ask Brian Urlacher to do Lance Briggs job and you dont ask Briggs to do Urlacher job, keep Mayo inside were he is a all pro

I wonder if Belichick is switching to a more aggressive attack style of D to take the thinking out of the game for his young D.

When the pats were at their best defensively earlier in this decade they had an amazing group of smart, seasoned, veterans. I think its easier for a player with 5 or 6 seasons under their belt to "read and react". I think because of more exposure, experience, and film study the game slowed down for players like McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Phifer, Milloy, Harrison etc, etc, etc. and reading and reacting was much easier.

This group of Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Guyton, Chung etc. are still relatively young and inexperienced. I think the attacking style of D suits younger players better. I think that's why we are seeing what we are seeing in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes