PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Likes Mayo Inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Someone (i think our fine mod JM57) mentioned a lineup with Spikes on the outside. I couldn't see it happening, but after reading this who knows it might.

Belichick likes Mayo inside | ProJo.com | Tim Britton | Providence Journal

Mayo has emerged as one of the game's best interior linebackers during his three seasons in New England's 3-4 scheme. There's a chance, however, that he'll be asked to move outside if the Pats go to a 4-3, with Brandon Spikes -- Mayo's partner on the inside in 2010 -- taking over as the lone middle linebacker.

Head coach Bill Belichick did his best to quash that talk on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BB Like's Mayo Inside.

Didnt Mayo play alot on the outside in tennessee?I though he played very well on the outside at tennessee.

Didnt Mayo play alot on the outside in tennessee?I though he played very well on the outside at tennessee.
don't know, but i think he would be athletic enough to do it.

Someone (i think our fine mod JM57) mentioned a lineup with Spikes on the outside. I couldn't see it happening, but after reading this who knows it might.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/42/790068-belichick-likes-mayo-inside.html

Mayo has emerged as one of the game's best interior linebackers during his three seasons in New England's 3-4 scheme. There's a chance, however, that he'll be asked to move outside if the Pats go to a 4-3, with Brandon Spikes -- Mayo's partner on the inside in 2010 -- taking over as the lone middle linebacker.

Interesting. Maybe Spikes to OLB on first and second down, Guyton on passing downs. Similiar to the rotation they did at MLB last season.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/42/790068-belichick-likes-mayo-inside.html

I can't access that link for some reason

We can at least try him @ OLB

if he could do it in college, which I suspect he did.... he can surely do it @ the PRO level. Most colleges use a primary 4-3 hardly ever 3-4.

Spikes doesn't have the athleticism to be an OLB. Plz find both 10 yard splits.:rocker:

add the 40 time if u want, but 40's don't mean much back their.

Last edited:

What part of that says that Mayo won't play WLB?

What part of that says that Mayo won't play WLB?

Belichick on Cannon, Mayo & more - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Quick hits from Bill Belichick’s news conference Saturday at Gillette Stadium:

3. Lot of Mayo talk. Belichick was asked to reflect on the time he was scouting linebacker Jerod Mayo at Tennessee, and when he lined up as a weakside linebacker in the Volunteers’ 4-3 defense. That could be where Mayo lines up in a new-look 4-3 Patriots defense, although Belichick said he didn’t view it that way. “Maybe the next coach will put him there,” he cracked. “I think he is going to play off the line of scrimmage and in the tackle box somewhere. Whatever front we’re in – over, under, 3-4, 4-3, 2-4 – he’s going to play in the tackle box off the line of scrimmage. That’s what he’s always done. He’s one of the best I’ve coached, one of the best in the league at doing that, I can’t imagine him playing anywhere else at this point.”

Last edited by a moderator:

WLB is in the tackle box, off the line of scrimmage. Sounds like Belichick is doing some more media trolling. That 4-3 WLB spot is basically where he was lining up in the 3-4, but with different alignments up front.

Interesting. Although it's hard to imagine Spikes elsewhere besides the inside. Makes me wonder also when Fletcher gets playing time if that will take any away from Mayo if he doesn't succeed on the outside.

Interesting. Although it's hard to imagine Spikes elsewhere besides the inside. Makes me wonder also when Fletcher gets playing time if that will take any away from Mayo if he doesn't succeed on the outside.

Exactly. It sounds like we have 3 middle linebackers (Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher) who all deserve some time on the field (and expect Mayo to be playing 90%+ of the snaps based on previous years) and a shortage of outside LBs. That's why BB's comments are puzzling. Moving Mayo outside seems like a very reasonable option - and it's what he's done during camp. Now we says that it's not going to happen? :confused:

Dare i say, mayo looked LTish tonight

Never thought id see him blitzing so much

Re: Dare i say, mayo looked LTish tonight

It reminded me a lot of what the Ravens have been doing all these years. Aside from him being a HOF player, their scheme allows Ray Lewis to be a one man wrecking crew.

Mayo is smart and athletic enough to play a similar role.

Last edited:

Please dont insult LT like that.

He looked more Ray Lewis in his prime tonight than anyone else I thought (minus the evangelical speech giving).

He looks like a completely different player when he's allowed to attack like that. Dare I hope, he might finally force a fumble or make an interception this season. ;)

Do not get the subtle vitriol about Mayo, what is there not to like about him ?? Not getting interceptions or forcing fumbles??

The reality is that he is a team leader who has only gotten better every year here... is he LT'ish?? probably not. But he is one of the best linebackers in the league right now.. in the past they could not play the strengths he showed last night, but in this "new" scheme can allow him more freedom and it is paying dividends for him and most of all the Patriots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots