Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Today, BB coached. Last year, most of his coaching decisions involved when to take his foot off the accelerator.
There is no question in my mind that this was one of BB's most satisfying wins since the 1st SB victory against the Rams. His decision-making was near flawless as he reestablished the formula that produced successes for the Giants in the mid 80's and the 2001 Patriots. The Pats clearly won the field position battle despite being statistically equal with the Jets. The offense made the most out of their opportunities while never gambling. Multiple times the Pats were faced with 4th and short yardage at midfield or in field goal range, and each and everytime BB played it safe. He chose to take points or field position on offense, and then attack with his defense.
With Brady at QB, I would have expected BB to go for it on fourth down most every time today. But he didn't. Today, the buck stopped with his choices. Be second guessed if the team lost...or be congratulated for correctly positoning his team for 60 minutes.
Oh sure, on many levels, beating the Jets and winning without Brady and proving the Talking Heads wrong must all have been satisfying for BB. But I bet he is most satisfied by successfully implementing a low risk smashmouth style emphasizing ball control and field position. His big boys did a hell of a job against there big boys.

I did enjoy the "the Jets have no timeout, so let's pretend we're going for it, have them put in their defense, then rotate to special teams and see how they fare with that trick" part :)

I did enjoy the "the Jets have no timeout, so let's pretend we're going for it, have them put in their defense, then rotate to special teams and see how they fare with that trick" part :)
That was great until Hanson f*cked it up.

Anyway, I'm sure Bill is VERY happy tonight, beating the hated Jets with his backup QB :D

I think down the road when Cassel gets more comfortable they will go for it on 4th down. I was surprized when they didn't at first then I thought about Cassels lack of experiance and BB was playing it safe.

Every game is certainly more interesting now, as the underdog again.

Belichick is the funniest man alive. Did you read his press conference?

Congratulating the Jets off their 'huge sky high win last week over the Dolphins', and saying how great it was to win at 'Giants Stadium'.

Hilarious

I thought it was great, too.

The people I watched with were like "OMG WHAT A DUMB IDEA THEY GOT A TOUCHBACK". But I was like "It was still a smart choice".

I thougth it was genius.

Great post,Borg...

A+ fans.........great day to be a pats fan.

Every game is certainly more interesting now, as the underdog again.

Belichick is the funniest man alive. Did you read his press conference?

Congratulating the Jets off their 'huge sky high win last week over the Dolphins', and saying how great it was to win at 'Giants Stadium'.

Hilarious

It was "riding high" off their "huge" win at Miami.

It's the riding high part that truly slays. The visual of it all.

You do realize that McDaniels was probably mostly responsible for the offensive game planning right?

I think down the road when Cassel gets more comfortable they will go for it on 4th down. I was surprized when they didn't at first then I thought about Cassels lack of experiance and BB was playing it safe.

Exactly. The announcer kept saying that he spotted the coaches going really easy on Cassel coming off the field, and that -- watch out, Cassel -- Tuesday morning would be a scream-fest in the film room. Keep him comfortable now; later on, when they seem him doing what they want, let him drop the hammer. In theory.

Well, it as barely 2.5ft from the 1st down marker. Typically, that play is a Brady sneak to move the chains. I think Matt could have gotten the 1st just by leaning forward. Regardless, we won the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back