PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB draft strategy - this is how you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB draft strategy. Linger around the practice fields at Rutgers. Disregard the tireless efforts of the college scouting system in place and just take kids that live near his girl friends old house. There is a photo circulating the interweb of a closed spring practice at Rutgers....with a lone fan in the bleachers wearing a grey ripped hoodie waving a scarlet foam finger.

Borg posting strategy, sit in Mom's basement screaming at her to bring him scrambled eggs and coco puffs while browsing the internet and trying to come up with cute cultural references and snarky little comments to post every time the Patriots make a move that doesn't involve bringing in the highest paid free agent or top ranked prospect in the draft. Disregard all the Patriots success and act like he knows more about football without ever leaving the safety of Mom's basement for a real job in the real world............

The only Offensive position that wasn't full of youngsters was WR. BB said he was addressing that this offseason, Newcomers Amendola, D Jones, Julius Edelmen, Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce transform the WR corps. thsi will complete the Offensive rebuilding. Except for a QB transition which must happen in the next few years.

I hope so. But remember, Wheatley, Wilhite, Butler, Merriweather and Chung didn't complete the backfield's rebuilding a few years ago, and those picks included a first and 2 seconds. Not to mention flameouts at that same WR position by the likes of chad Jackson and Price.

This is really a cross your fingers and hope against hope situation.

Sometimes it looks like he is just picking guys that no one else is going to draft anyway (at least not as early as he does). If one or two pan out they yell Genious!, If not they say there were no impact players avail. when he picked. Value= you get what you pay for. I would value impact we havent gotten much of that as of late. What I see in this draft is potential. Question is , will it be realized?

Do you honestly think that Bill Belichick stays up nights scheming a way that he can get someone to say he was a genius with a surprise 3rd round draft pick of a safety, and would do that instead of what he feels is the best way for his team to win? Really?

Do you honestly think that Bill Belichick stays up nights scheming a way that he can get someone to say he was a genius with a surprise 3rd round draft pick of a safety, and would do that instead of what he feels is the best way for his team to win? Really?

He's so good, he can waste picks on guys he could pick up for nothing and still have the best record in football for a decade.:rolleyes:

Sometimes it looks like he is just picking guys that no one else is going to draft anyway (at least not as early as he does). If one or two pan out they yell Genious!, If not they say there were no impact players avail. when he picked. Value= you get what you pay for. I would value impact we havent gotten much of that as of late. What I see in this draft is potential. Question is , will it be realized?

When you are rebuilding an entire team total numbers of merely good players count. So BB traded down an received muiltiple picks, in the past few years. As the rebuilding is in its final phases the need shifts from quantities of good players, to a few great, impact players.

Last year BB went for impact players and traded up. This draft season he had a very small draft pick pool, so he reverted to adding numbers. He also reverted because this was a flat draft with numbers of good players, but few obvious great candidates that he could realistically access.

Still BB's first pick, Jamie Collins has the potential, if things work as hoped, for him to be an impact, off the edge, pass rush addition. He did collect 10 sacks last season. Aaron Dobson also has the tools to be a fine outside Split End, aka, Z WR. The criticism of him,seems to be about whether his speed is very good, or merely fine. Unlike most WR Divas, who are dumb narcisists, he is both very smart, and also a team player willing to block downfield. Still his best features are good/great hands, and moves to gain separation, but not needing speed to do so; and good size of course.

The other picks seem to be targetted for prime reserve status. It was truly dishearteningly to see injured Aquib, have to be replaced by undersized, and on the team for his ST play, Marquis Cole. Now there are big outside, man cover CBs, including reserves, Talib, Ras-I, Logan, Devin; and the same applies inside at the slot, aka Star CB, with Arrington and Dennard.

BB even imported a good, big, veteran, Safety to play his decade long search for the "Big Nickle" coverage LB/SS. Jamie Ccollins also could figure here too, as he is very fast OLB, and was also a DB in college too, with DB speed.

PS: Some people, trying to find a basis to criticize Bill Belichick, say he is a great Coach and a poor GM.

Nonsense! Show me another GM who has stripped and totally rebuilt an entire roster in 5 years. With out ever producing a record below 11-5, and seeing one or two Super Bowl appearances. Only Paul Brown ever did that.

I never said he stayed up nights. and really what im talking about is difference makers, finishers, guys who win in the clutch. Make the interception, the catch for the win, break a big run in the 4th QTR. havent we struggled to beat the best teams during the season and playoffs, make the offensive play to end the game. this is what we have struggled with. we have had an opportunity to win just about every game we have played in the last few years and have come up short because of some shortcoming. Basically we dont make the big play to extend drives at the end of the game or we cant make a play to stop someone on a late drive in a game. need? Playmakers, thats value.

When you are rebuilding an entire team total numbers of merely good players count. So BB traded down an received muiltiple picks, in the past few years. As the rebuilding is in its final phases the need shifts from quantities of good players, to a few great, impact players.

Last year BB went for impact players and traded up. This draft season he had a very small draft pick pool, so he reverted to adding numbers. He also reverted because this was a flat draft with numbers of good players, but few obvious great candidates that he could realistically access.

Still BB's first pick, Jamie Collins has the potential, if things work as hoped, for him to be an impact, off the edge, pass rush addition. He did collect 10 sacks last season. Aaron Dobson also has the tools to be a fine outside Split End, aka, Z WR. The criticism of him,seems to be about whether his speed is very good, or merely fine. Unlike most WR Divas, who are dumb narcisists, he is both very smart, and also a team player willing to block downfield. Still his best features are good/great hands, and moves to gain separation, but not needing speed to do so; and good size of course.

The other picks seem to be targetted for prime reserve status. It was truly dishearteningly to see injured Aquib, have to be replaced by undersized, and on the team for his ST play, Marquis Cole. Now there are big outside, man cover CBs, including reserves, Talib, Ras-I, Logan, Devin; and the same applies inside at the slot, aka Star CB, with Arrington and Dennard.

BB even imported a good, big, veteran, Safety to play his decade long search for the "Big Nickle" coverage LB/SS. Jamie Ccollins also could figure here too, as he is very fast OLB, and was also a DB in college too, with DB speed.

PS: Some people, trying to find a basis to criticize Bill Belichick, say he is a great Coach and a poor GM.

Nonsense! Show me another GM who has stripped and totally rebuilt an entire roster in 5 years. With out ever producing a record below 11-5, and seeing one or two Super Bowl appearances. Only Paul Brown ever did that.

I don't understand how people can throw this kind of stuff in the faces of those who offer up criticism of personnel decisions while completely ignoring the fact that Brady has been the constant throughout. "Totally rebuilding" around Tom Brady is not at all the same as totally rebuilding a team in general.

I never said he stayed up nights. and really what im talking about is difference makers, finishers, guys who win in the clutch. Make the interception, the catch for the win, break a big run in the 4th QTR. havent we struggled to beat the best teams during the season and playoffs, make the offensive play to end the game. this is what we have struggled with. we have had an opportunity to win just about every game we have played in the last few years and have come up short because of some shortcoming. Basically we dont make the big play to extend drives at the end of the game or we cant make a play to stop someone on a late drive in a game. need? Playmakers, thats value.

Well, no, you said he makes crazy picks because he has a desire to get one right and have everyone call him smart.
Clearly not winning the SB means something was lacking.
But we are talking about building a football team in a capped era.
Winning the division 10 of 12 years, winning 3 SBs, then since the last going to 2 more and losing by the closest of margins, plus going to 2 more AFCC games, (that is in AFCC 50% of the time and winning 50% of those) is indicative of a strong plan of building a team and just not getting the job finished every time for one of 100s of possible reasons.

He's so good, he can waste picks on guys he could pick up for nothing and still have the best record in football for a decade.:rolleyes:

See Brady, Thomas

I didn't need Kiper or Mayock to tell me that Jesse Williams DT Alabama was a stud, I saw it with my own eyes. Harmon instead of Williams? Unless Williams was the devil incarnate or had total knee replacement scheduled he would have - will have - more impact than Harmon ever will. By time Williams slipped in the late 3rd round he should have become a major target regardless of concerns. Check back here in 2 years when Williams is ripping apart the NFL for the Seahawks and everyone is wondering how he slipped so far.

Do you really believe for one second anyone will be saying the same thing about Harmon?

Exactly.

The media's NFL experts are there for entertainment, nothing more. They aren't good at managing football teams. They are good at saying stuff on TV and writing stuff on websites.

I think it's fascinating that so many people get hung up on what people like Kiper, Mayock, and their lot have to say.

These draft experts - I think Mayock is pretty good and that Kiper is a lunatic - are rating prospects as players, not as employees who have to fit a clubhouse, learn from coaches and veterans, and fit schemes that might not be what the team did last year (or any year).

Mayock said at one point that a prospect - maybe Collins - was going from a losing situation to a winner and that what the Patriots do best is teach. I look at this draft and see seven players who appear to have the smarts and temperament to learn the Patriots way of playing their position. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.

The guy that does not seem to fit - LaGarrette Blount, who I see as the third 7th rounder - looks like another knucklehead with great physical talent who is being given a golden opportunity to jump start his NFL career. He may wind up being the diamond in the rough from this draft, or another flyer that Belichick took that didn't work out.

Speaking of Blount, does anybody know if his $1.5 million is guaranteed or is there no risk if he's cut before week one?

BB draft strategy. Linger around the practice fields at Rutgers. Disregard the tireless efforts of the college scouting system in place and just take kids that live near his girl friends old house. There is a photo circulating the interweb of a closed spring practice at Rutgers....with a lone fan in the bleachers wearing a grey ripped hoodie waving a scarlet foam finger.

I am a little confused why anyone would see it as a bad thing that the Patriots drafted all these Rutgers players?

People act like BB just ignored scouting the last few years to Draft some of Stephens friends or something.

The way I prefer to look at it is that BB not be intention but by being a good father has been to and seen a lot of Rutgers games the last few years. Not to mention a respected peer recruited these guys. Bottom line is that BB should know these players really well and if there was any reason not to draft them he would know about it. And further more he has probably had an eye on these guys for specific traits that he feels he would like to work with and that will work well with in the system.

Well, no, you said he makes crazy picks because he has a desire to get one right and have everyone call him smart.
Clearly not winning the SB means something was lacking.
But we are talking about building a football team in a capped era.
Winning the division 10 of 12 years, winning 3 SBs, then since the last going to 2 more and losing by the closest of margins, plus going to 2 more AFCC games, (that is in AFCC 50% of the time and winning 50% of those) is indicative of a strong plan of building a team and just not getting the job finished every time for one of 100s of possible reasons.

so your denying the declining talent in the secondary and lack of pass rush for 7 years. this team wins in spite of those shortcomings. are you denying that he has drafted players he could get as free agents or at least a few rounds later? if you dont want BB called out on some of these, out of left field, hell not even in the park picks e-mail him and give him a hand. He drafted Brady in the 6th round. Dont act like he knew something that everyone else didnt, hes been surviving on that pick long enough. Tavon Wilson 2nd rd? If one of these DB or WR picks over the years turns out to be a stud let me know. we will see about C Jones ( first round) but QBs dont fear the Patriots the sit in the pocket have coffee read the paper and throw it. too many 2nd rd DB picks wasted too many brady years wasted. we should have more Superbowls than any team out there but we cant do 2 things rush the passer get off on 3rd down.(dont drink the koolaid) I want these guys to be studs i do but why doesnt Schiano even want any of these guys?

so your denying the declining talent in the secondary and lack of pass rush for 7 years. this team wins in spite of those shortcomings. are you denying that he has drafted players he could get as free agents or at least a few rounds later? if you dont want BB called out on some of these, out of left field, hell not even in the park picks e-mail him and give him a hand. He drafted Brady in the 6th round. Dont act like he knew something that everyone else didnt, hes been surviving on that pick long enough. Tavon Wilson 2nd rd? If one of these DB or WR picks over the years turns out to be a stud let me know. we will see about C Jones ( first round) but QBs dont fear the Patriots the sit in the pocket have coffee read the paper and throw it. too many 2nd rd DB picks wasted too many brady years wasted. we should have more Superbowls than any team out there but we cant do 2 things rush the passer get off on 3rd down.(dont drink the koolaid) I want these guys to be studs i do but why doesnt Schiano even want any of these guys?

yeah, why didn't he take that safety in the 2nd round?
that one that everybody says is available in the 7th.

I am a little confused why anyone would see it as a bad thing that the Patriots drafted all these Rutgers players?

People act like BB just ignored scouting the last few years to Draft some of Stephens friends or something.

The way I prefer to look at it is that BB not be intention but by being a good father has been to and seen a lot of Rutgers games the last few years. Not to mention a respected peer recruited these guys. Bottom line is that BB should know these players really well and if there was any reason not to draft them he would know about it. And further more he has probably had an eye on these guys for specific traits that he feels he would like to work with and that will work well with in the system.

and I think that's obviously it.
he's actually spent years scouting these guys, and just because you make some arbitrary list of names 1-100 doesn't mean #34 is really better than #35.
it's more likely there are a bunch of guys who are fairly comparable, the difference being that bb is a lot more familiar with a few of them, while relying on the same thing as the rest of teh league on most of them.
why would you pass over a guy you know a lot about to take a comparable player you saw some film on?

I didn't need Kiper or Mayock to tell me that Jesse Williams DT Alabama was a stud, I saw it with my own eyes. Harmon instead of Williams? Unless Williams was the devil incarnate or had total knee replacement scheduled he would have - will have - more impact than Harmon ever will. By time Williams slipped in the late 3rd round he should have become a major target regardless of concerns. Check back here in 2 years when Williams is ripping apart the NFL for the Seahawks and everyone is wondering how he slipped so far.

Do you really believe for one second anyone will be saying the same thing about Harmon?
I didn't think Williams was a stud and I'm not looking at him with glowing terms given the Australian connection. He's a good ordinary player from what I saw. I wouldn't have minded if the Patriots picked him up as a depth option. As it stands, they obviously believe what they have on the roster is better. That will either be right or wrong.

Check back here in 2 years when Williams is ripping apart the NFL for the Seahawks and everyone is wondering how he slipped so far.

That's easy. Everyone had a chance to pick him for four rounds. Nobody did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes