BB comments on the performance of his new punter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=27412&pcid=41
P Chris Hanson
Less than 24 hours after being picked up by New England, Hanson punted four times for a 35-yard average. The left-footed veteran was brought in to replace first-year punter Danny Baugher, who seemed to have won the job a week ago.

“I thought it was okay,” Belichick said of Hanson’s Patriots debut. “I've seen a lot worse, put it that way.”

I thought that Hanson looked good last night. But what do I know? He'll probably be cut tomorrow.

I am not going to comment on this too much, but I will point you in the direction. Let's just say that the Baugher cutting wasn't just a case of BB flip flopping.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=25009

Edit to say that I laughed about the "I've seen worse" part of his comment. Yes Bill, you sure have. THen you brought worse back again two years later.

Last edited:
Well that is interesting. Certainly not the best decision to make when you have, against all odds, earned a roster spot on one of the top super bowl candidates.

Well that is interesting. Certainly not the best decision to make when you have, against all odds, earned a roster spot on one of the top super bowl candidates.

Yeah, that definitely didn't make my day--and given that BB is the coach, I have a sinking suspicion that's the last we'll ever see of Baugher. :(

I am not going to comment on this too much, but I will point you in the direction. Let's just say that the Baugher cutting wasn't just a case of BB flip flopping.

Edit to say that I laughed about the "I've seen worse" part of his comment. Yes Bill, you sure have. THen you brought worse back again two years later.

Thanks for the link. That DOES shed a brighter light on the situation.

Think of what it cost him, in salary, potential playoff money and the career....
Then again, it's a great career move if the Bengals are looking for a punter....

“I've seen a lot worse, put it that way.”

That's about the best compliment you can get from Belicheck.

Great find, and the IPod girl wasn't that bad either.

Let's just point out that that post has no timeline. The Baugher cut was obviously in the works Wednesday night or earlier, though not public until Thursday morning. The arraignment was Thursday. The incident was at 4AM, date not specified.

So there is a possibility that Baugher and his father being out at 4AM drunk was a *reaction* to being cut, not the cause. Still not good, but more understandable.

All depends on the timing. I am not a lawyer, but couldn't such an arraignment on a simple charge be later the same day? My TV-watching-legal-knowledge days it could :)

Thanks for the link. That DOES shed a brighter light on the situation.

Aaaaaaaah. If true, that explains it completely. What's the source like?

thanks. explains a move that had a lot of us scratching our heads and saying "well, in BB we trust." also interesting that it wasn't picked up earlier...

Re: Reiss: Pats tryout 4 punters, Wimbush, Rader

Well I stayed away from this discussion till after I talked with Baugher for the simple fact that I didn't want to say something only to have to backtrack. The incident occurred the night he was cut (so not a factor in the decision) and no charges are being filed. It was an argument over work ethic and the reasoning behind his release that he got into with his dad. Some onlookers called the police and the police determined since they came out they had to file a report. Just an unfortunate incident that gives people a bad opinion of a good kid. Hopefully he ends up on your PS or somewhere else in the league, but I do not think that this will end up being something that follows him around for too long.

[Mod note: post copied from another thread to here because it directly deals with the issue raised by Alamo in his post above]

The kid has a career setback and his Dad gives him such a hard time they get in a fight over it??????

And what was his Dad doing hovering around the area anyway??

Things are far from ideal in the Baugher household.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back