Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Once again, BB reads the flow of the draft and scores big. The first key move happened Friday when Javon Walker was detained in Denver but left without a contract. Clearly, Denver was assessing contracts demands in case they failed drafting a WR. Walker was their plan B. When Denver unexpectedly chose a QB in round 1, BB probably smirked a little. When Philly opted for some D line beef instead of filling an obvious WR need, BB began to twitch with glee. At 21, the choices became easier. Grab the RB they wanted ahead of Pitt and Indy and wait. BB probably figured Pitt would either go RB or Santonio Holmes ( a similar style WR to Randal El). And BB was right. The only obstacle left in the way of completing an Offensive Daily Double was Denver. So BB over paid by 55 points and jumped ahead of Denver to land the WR he has been eyeballing all off season. In BB's press conference he stated that the key was jumping ahead of Denver. After the Jackson pick, Shanahan grabbed his check book and implemented an expensive plan B.
The real beauty is the dollars saved or not spent both this year and next. Assuming Dillon is done after '06, the starting RB salary will be reduced by a net of $3.5-4 mill from '07 on out. And the Jackson pick will be a $3.5-4 mill cost savings when compared to what Givens will be getting paid in Tenn. And check out the strange and expensive draft the Bronco's have ended up with. Now they have 2 QBs (including an unhappy starter) both making significant coin and a new WR expecting big bucks. I bet Bob Kraft is very happy with the BB way. As BB has stated, the drafted is intended to allow teams a cost effective way to lock in players long term. He succeeded masterfully in the first 2 rounds.

Last edited:
Well, since you explained it so that Denver gets screwed...:woohoo:

Last edited:
I totally agree.

Having Chad Jackson locked up for four years at second round rookie money is MUCH better value than Walker coming off an ACL injury demanding veteran #1 money.

Pay Branch what it would have cost to sign Walker.

And, we have a halfway decent NFL starter, Reche Caldwell, as our third WR.

Last edited:
Nice analysis and I love the scheming. It's so nice to think that not only do we get the players we want, but stick it to all the other teams.

Addai seemed like he would have been a nice rd 2 pick-up, but quite a stretch for round 1. A special thanks to Carolina for making it all come together by grabbing DeAngelo.

Jackson was the steal of the day. Still drafted WR's are a crapshoot. More WR fail than any other position. You just can't count on him replacing Givens' production.

borg said:
Once again, BB reads the flow of the draft and scores big. The first key move happened Friday when Javon Walker was detained in Denver but left without a contract. Clearly, Denver was assessing contracts demands in case they failed drafting a WR. Walker was their plan B. .... After the Jackson pick, Shanahan grabbed his check book and implemented an expensive plan B.

Borg's explanation i find excellent.

But it is a good thing that the NFL is such an upright league, punishing
deception, misinformation, and masking injuries ... whenever such odious activities
raise their heads.

Otherwise, one might become suspicious that Green Bay could use some help spoofing Denver
that there was another really interested party out there for Mr. Walker's services.
(GB's refusal to let the player actually travel to New England can hardly be interpreted as anything other than
keeping the charade from evaporating too soon.)
THAT being followed by GB conveniently permitting NE to take its pick
in the nick of time to snatch Mr. Jackson.
You scratching my back right after i've scratched yours ...
clearly is one of those things that the upright Tags would frown upon.

flutie2phelan said:
Borg's explanation i find excellent.

But it is a good thing that the NFL is such an upright league, punishing
deception, misinformation, and masking injuries ... whenever such odious activities
raise their heads.

Otherwise, one might become suspicious that Green Bay could use some help spoofing Denver
that there was another really interested party out there for Mr. Walker's services.
(GB's refusal to let the player actually travel to New England can hardly be interpreted as anything other than
keeping the charade from evaporating too soon.)
THAT being followed by GB conveniently permitting NE to take its pick
in the nick of time to snatch Mr. Jackson.
You scratching my back right after i've scratched yours ...
clearly is one of those things that the upright Tags would frown upon.

Exactly, the donkeys got played

mgteich said:
Still drafted WR's are a crapshoot. More WR fail than any other position.

Especially ones from Florida. Hopefully Jackson changes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back