PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB called out Meriweather beginning of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LA times article quoted BB as openly criticizing Meriweather for saying that Welker is "one of the best slot receivers in the league".

He was quoted as saying "How the eff does Brandon Meriweather know that ....you're a rookie, keep your mouth shut!", at a team meeting.

Kind of swinish if you ask me. There are all sorts of ways to motivate people, some people don't take well to being treated with such contempt. Having someone remind him that management doesn't like rookies talking would work...no need for such nastiness.

Maybe Meriweather is just sulking and disgusted at the whole thing, feels a little unwelcome.

Management and motivation includes negative reinforcement, and with some successful managers relies on negative reinforcement.
Typically the people who don;t like thehardline approach are the ones who need it the most. I find it incredulous to suggest that after what we have seen of the results of BBs management style, tactics, and means of motivation that someone could read an account of one exchange with a player and imply they can judge BBs way of dealing with the player and critique that it was 'swinish'.

Thank you. Can we maybe ASSUME that stories about the Patriots from two weeks ago have likely already been posted and discussed? In this case, that particular story, from that particular article, has been dealt with on MULTIPLE threads.

We're on top of things. Please be smart.

I read it in the article linked, I've never seen anyone address that aspect of it whatsoever.

The LA times article quoted BB as openly criticizing Meriweather for saying that Welker is "one of the best slot receivers in the league".

He was quoted as saying "How the eff does Brandon Meriweather know that ....you're a rookie, keep your mouth shut!", at a team meeting.

Kind of swinish if you ask me. There are all sorts of ways to motivate people, some people don't take well to being treated with such contempt. Having someone remind him that management doesn't like rookies talking would work...no need for such nastiness.

Maybe Meriweather is just sulking and disgusted at the whole thing, feels a little unwelcome.

What do you care about more, Meriweather's feelings or the fact that BB's motivational techniques seem to work?

Last edited:

Tough s h i t.

Merriweather has a LOT to learn. In the words of Doc Hogue, that boy don't know "c r a p from Crisco".

Tough s h i t.

Merriweather has a LOT to learn. In the words of Doc Hogue, that boy don't know "c r a p from Crisco".

He apparently does know quite a bit about NFL receivers, b/c Welker is probably the best slot receiver in the league right now.

Well, maybe he should get into his jammies and BB can tuck him and tell him a little bedtime story.

I could care less if Meriweather is sulking. If he can't get over that, I don't want him on the team anyway.

Eh. They do similar things during Boot Camp. The ones who make it, generally, look back on it fondly as making men/women of themselves.

He hasn't made the mistake again, has he?

I went through Basic Training in the Army and the yelling and I do look back at it fondly. It got turned up a notch however when I was in Officer Candidate School.

I have taken the opportunity to talk with older their vets about Basic and OCS experiences and we all laugh at how similar the experiences were regardless of branch.

Except the USAF, they had it pretty easy. :)

I remember rolling over in my bunk in week 5 of Basic at 0400 when the Drill Sgts. came in and looked at my buddy and said "if we were in the AF we would be graduating today" and starting to laugh. :)

The ultimate indignity was when "She" agreed to follow her tormentor and suit up for the Dallas Cowboys many years after the fact.

Then again, maybe that comment damaged him and it took about 10 years for him to get over it.

This post could only be from someone who has never played organized football at any level or been around someone who has.

I was hazed harder than that as a first year player on my high school JV team. The calling out of rookies in front of the rest of the team by vets and coaches (and, with most gusto, second year players) is a borderline obsession at every level of football. This is, almost literally, nothing.

The hazing of rookies that goes on in the NFL makes this just the tip of the iceberg.

There's a big difference between hazing in amateur sports and a professional being called out by his coach. Making that comparison only supports the post you're trying to argue against.

And as we reach page 3 the thread now has people believing Meriweather IS sulking.

And as we reach page 3 the thread now has people believing Meriweather IS sulking.

Possibly, but I don't think so. I think we are just pointing out that even if he IS sulking, we don't give a rats A.S.S

Why argue with the original poster about whether or not he is really sulking when, to us, it makes no difference. Rookies are expected to be seen and not heard.

Last edited:
What was uninformative about it? It was information and a question.

So try starting a new topic by posting: "The Patriots are 9-0. They look pretty good. Do you think they could go 16-0?" That's information and a question, too. Yours wasn't as much better as you seem to think.

Having someone remind him that management doesn't like rookies talking would work...no need for such nastiness.

So Meriweather is a childhood friend of yours who you know well, eh? Didn't think so. You have decided that your motivational technique would work, when you didn't know him and weren't there and didn't know the circumstances and didn't know what if any history there is there.

Yes there are lots of motivational techniques, because no motivational technique works all the time and with everyone and in all circumstances.

For that matter, maybe this wasn't a motivational technique at all. Maybe this was such an insignificant matter that BB was using it to test the rookie's mindset and mental toughness. Get back to us when BB has confided in you on how Meriweather did :)

So try starting a new topic by posting: "The Patriots are 9-0. They look pretty good. Do you think they could go 16-0?" That's information and a question, too. Yours wasn't as much better as you seem to think.

So Meriweather is a childhood friend of yours who you know well, eh? Didn't think so. You have decided that your motivational technique would work, when you didn't know him and weren't there and didn't know the circumstances and didn't know what if any history there is there.

Yes there are lots of motivational techniques, because no motivational technique works all the time and with everyone and in all circumstances.

For that matter, maybe this wasn't a motivational technique at all. Maybe this was such an insignificant matter that BB was using it to test the rookie's mindset and mental toughness. Get back to us when BB has confided in you on how Meriweather did :)

So starting a thread saying "the pats are 9-0, do you think they can go 16-0?" That's interesting? Are you kidding? It's idiotic. Obviously, they're 9-0, that's not INFORMATIVE. As to whether they can go 16-0, it's mindless conjecture.

Not only that but there have been dozens of threads which basically say that.

What are you 12 years old?

"Gee fellas, do you think the pats can go 16-0!?! How about it Wally?".

Clown.

I never said "I had motivational techniques", or that they would "work". I was guessing that treating rookies that way is a technique of sorts. Whether it is good or bad is kind of the point of discussion. I could see it working well in most cases and not at all in some cases.

I read it in the article linked, I've never seen anyone address that aspect of it whatsoever.

Ohhhhhhh. Okay. Well, I think my answer to the "new" angle on it is that, IF Meriweather's lack of p-time is based on him getting yelled at by Belichick in one of his first meetings, then every single thing I ever read about the kid is COMPLETELY WRONG. There is no way that is what happened.

That he's, what, sulking now because he got yelled at? Come on. Be serious. There's a REASON you've "never seen anyone address that aspect of it."

There's a big difference between hazing in amateur sports and a professional being called out by his coach. Making that comparison only supports the post you're trying to argue against.

I don't see how the coach saying you said a stupid thing in front of your teammates is different from getting taped to the goalposts, having your locker filled with poop, or getting pee dumped on you in practice (all commonly reported, and probably tame, forms of hazing widely reported during the carolina taped-to-goalposts video from 2006).

It's football. This is not daisy pressing. Every coach publicly puts rookies in their place during training camp. The stories about Bill Parcels and Jimmy Johnson doing this are legion. The school that Merriweather comes from is one of the most notorious in the country for freshman hazing -- isn't that the school where the football fraternity brands freshmen with a hot coat hanger in the shape of the fraternity letters? I'm guessing he's not particularly fragile about getting chewed out by his coach.

I'm also guessing that like every second year NFL player, he'll be laughing the loudest when he sees the same act played out next year to the rookies.

Keep in mind this kid had the ballz to do what he had to do to protect the life of a friend and himself from an armed robber, who had shot at them. I don't think we need to question this kid's toughness. I'd share a foxhole with him any day.

WhoTF cares? Whether this happened or not, BB is still god the father, Brady is his son and "maybe" welker is on his way to being the holy spirit!:rolleyes:

Whatever the truth is, what relevance does it have again?

WhoTF cares? Whether this happened or not, BB is still god the father, Brady is his son and "maybe" welker is on his way to being the holy spirit!:rolleyes:

Doesn't this belong in the Religion forum? :)

Good one.

Thank you. Can we maybe ASSUME that stories about the Patriots from two weeks ago have likely already been posted and discussed? In this case, that particular story, from that particular article, has been dealt with on MULTIPLE threads.

We're on top of things. Please be smart.

There was a story 2 weeks ago that referenced a story 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes