PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB-Broncos not the better team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes a Steelers fan, resident village idiot.
Do you have a different opinion to my opinion on BBs statements to the press?

ClosingTime said:
lol I did...

Belichick gave Denver a TON of credit in the post-game conference. He made it very clear that he has tons of respect for them as a team. He also made that very clear in the pre-game conferences. I think holding the opinion that the better team lost is a valid opinion, it's not like he claimed Denver sucks or they cheated or something. He didn't even blame the officiating.

ClosingTime said:

I liked the village idiot line.

Im not sure you're addressing that to me. But just for starters, I'd actually like to hear for myself what BB said. That's a not-so-minor detail. Context and direct quotes would have been helpful by the orginal poster. Somehow I get the feeling what the OP said and what BB said on the interview may not exactly match.

CheerforTom said:
lol I did...

Belichick gave Denver a TON of credit in the post-game conference. He made it very clear that he has tons of respect for them as a team. He also made that very clear in the pre-game conferences. I think holding the opinion that the better team lost is a valid opinion, it's not like he claimed Denver sucks or they cheated or something. He didn't even blame the officiating.

I respectfully disagree about BB's post game comments. Thought he was smug and disrespctful. But that's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I'm sure tomorrow's papers will have the comments.

No one responded to my first post on this matter but here it is in a nutshell.

If you break down that game and only eliminate the bad officiating, the Patriots likely still win that game despite turning the ball over 4 times (the 5th turnover was a desperate throw at the end, if they were leading it never would have happened).

It would've been an ugly win but a win nonetheless. That's how much better we were than the Broncos. We could've gone into their building, turned it over 4 times (-3 on the TO ratio) and still won that game.

The difference in that game was three blown calls that essentially handed the Broncos 17 points.

The Patriots were capable of overcoming their own mistakes. They just weren't capable of overcoming those mistakes when they were combined with terrible officiating errors.

As for the 2001 Patriots. I don't believe anyone ever thought they were the best team in the league. The Rams were clearly a better team but the Patriots played over their heads and played a better game.

The officials didn't hand the Patriots points in that game. That's the difference with this Broncos game. The officials literally handed them points.

As for the Steelers game, the Patriots made the plays to create a 21-3 lead for themselves. It's not unusual for teams with leads like that to get badly outgained. Typically teams adjust their style with a big lead. They get more conservative on offense, favoring the running game to kill the clock. And on defense they tend to play a vanilla style. They go very conservative.

Comparing the 2001 games with what happened the other night is a total misrepresentation of the facts.

Everything the Broncos got was set in motion by blown calls by the officials. The Broncos didn't do anything on their own the entire game. They just sat under the Christmas tree and waited for presents to fall into their laps.

Don't get me wrong. They're a real good team. But what that showed me is that the Patriots are THAT MUCH better than the rest of the league. Not only is the Patriots dynasty not over but next year might actually turn out to be our most dominating year yet.

I don't envy the rest of the league. All Saturday's loss did was piss off a very good football team. The battle cry next year will be to take the power away from the officials. We just might go out and beat every team by 30 points. Yes, we are that good.

Last edited:
Kepp telling yourself if that makes you feel better.

The Watson hit has been analyzed more than the Zapruter film and anyone who says they can definitively say what happen is simply lying.

Ifs and buts candy and nuts...

The point isn't whether the "better team" subject can be debated - this ain't China - it's whether an NFL head coach should be coming out saying such things.

ClosingTime said:

The Watson hit has been analyzed more than the Zapruter film and anyone who says they can definitively say what happen is simply lying.

Ifs and buts candy and nuts...

The point isn't whether the "better team" subject can be debated - this ain't China - it's whether an NFL head coach should be coming out saying such things.

Oh well if that's the case then he can say any damn thing he wants. As you said, this ain't China.

Of course. I'm just surprised no Pats fas are at least a little disconcerted about BBs comments.

emoney_33 said:
I believe if these same 2 teams play, the patriots win 7 or 8 times out of 10. Denver was the better team on Saturday night, they are not the better team though IMO.

This is exactly what I keep thinking. I'll say 7 out of 10 --- 8 is a little extreme. (I don't think you could feel safe about 8/10 vs. any playoff team.)

But again, I agree with your sentiment.

I also heard Brady saying that on EEI as well, but he was more straight-up about it. Both BB and TB are full of crap and would be pissed-off if another coach-QB said that or would laugh at them dismissively. A real Pats fan could think we're the better team while losing to a worse team, but saying so publicly as the QB or HC of the NEP is weak IMO.

wistahpatsfan said:
I also heard Brady saying that on EEI as well, but he was more straight-up about it. Both BB and TB are full of crap and would be pissed-off if another coach-QB said that or would laugh at them dismissively. A real Pats fan could think we're the better team while losing to a worse team, but saying so publicly as the QB or HC of the NEP is weak IMO.

A lot of teams may feel that way but in the Patriots case it's actually true.

I mean, think about it. The refs essentially gave them 17 points.

There's not a team in the entire league that wouldn't be *****ing and moaning after getting jobbed to the extent that the Patriots did.

Has anyone read the actual comment, not just "and then he said something to the effect of..."

I'm curious as to what he really said. Doesn't sound like BB.

The three fumbles weren't caused by crushing hits...Hobbs was carrying the ball like a grapefruit, Faulk looked like the ball was held very loosely before the hit, and then there was Brown's uncharacteristic drop. All happened at the beginning of drives...When the Pats were moving the football. Take care of the football and were talking 500 plus yards of offense..and the vaunted Denver running game held to 60 yards.

Bailey's play was just good football..kind of the same clutch play we've enjoyed over the years. I don't see the screw job by the refs on that one. Without the fumbles, this game was very winnable.

I think the Pats were the better team, too, but I'm not BB or TB and they can think it all they want, but they shouldn't come out and say it on the air!

emoney_33 said:
I believe if these same 2 teams play, the patriots win 7 or 8 times out of 10. Denver was the better team on Saturday night, they are not the better team though IMO.

It's not even as if our turnovers were forced by great plays from the broncos. Faulk's fumble was from a weak outstretched arm, not a huge hit or big rip on the ball. We know faulk has the fumble problem and it showed at the wrong time. Brown muffed the punt that was right in his hands. Brady made a bad decision and unless bailey has butter fingers it's his ball to catch.

The broncos scored 24 points only having to drive 24 yards. The other times we didn't turn the ball over or have a horrible PI call and they actually had to put together sustaned drives, they got 260 yards and only 3 points.

But oh well, it's the playoffs, win or go home. Just a reminder of how special what they have been able to do over the past 4 years really was. And it's not even close to being done IMO. Kraft wanted to be like the 9ers, with over a decade of at least being a serious competitor and I think that's what we'll get.

Thats what's so frustrating!!! The Patriots have always TAKEN the ball away. They have not been HANDED anything the way they HANDED the Donkeys the ball on Sat nite. S:eezeburg beats them by at least 10

PYPER said:
A lot of teams may feel that way but in the Patriots case it's actually true.

I mean, think about it. The refs essentially gave them 17 points.

17? Naw, 7 maybe.

Wistah's the only one one this.

ClosingTime said:

So, how that troubles you? You shouldnt even care.

ClosingTime said:
The Watson hit has been analyzed more than the Zapruter film and anyone who says they can definitively say what happen is simply lying. .

About the Watson hit, you can say whatever you want and being analyzed without the right camera angles... If you think about it there is no physical way that that ball didnt went to the endzone when he touched the pylon and he held the ball on his right hand. It was either a touchdown or a touchback.

ClosingTime said:
Ifs and buts candy and nuts....

Ifs and buts is all we have for now and we (including BB and TB) can say whatever we want. Again, is not even with your team the issue. Why would you care what Bellichick said?

ClosingTime said:

If Bill Bellichick believes the team that won that night is not the better team, why shouldnt he have to say it? So you dont feel offended by that?

The Broncos were the better team that night just because they took care of the ball, we didnt. Just be grateful that you now have to go to Denver instead of Foxboro.

ClosingTime said:
17? Naw, 7 maybe.

Wistah's the only one one this.

You got 7 from the PI call against Samuel.

You got 3 on your 50 yard FG that cleared by about a foot. You had a lineman clearly jump early.

That's 10. Not only is that 10 but it's your first 10. Those ten points gave you the lead. Take away those 10 points and it's a completely different game.

Even with all the turnovers, we still win that game if those ten points never happened.

As for Bailey's INT, I agree that the replay angles were clearly inconclusive. There's no way that call should have been overturned. Having said that, it should have been called correctly on the field in the first place. It was pretty obvious to everyone that the ball must have crossed the goal line on its way out of bounds. Otherwise it would have had to make a 90 degree turn in mid-flight.

People may want to point to all the turnovers but that's just part of the game. Is it Denver's fault that Hobbs and Faulk were careless with the football? Give credit where it's due. Denver defenders knocked those balls loose by making plays. Don't take that away from Denver.

The point is that even with all those turnovers, the Patriots likely win the game if the officials had called those three controvercial calls correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back